Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 09-24-2005   #1
fredricow89gta

steering wheel radio controls

Help! The steering wheel radio controls on my recently purchased 89 GTA never worked. Yesterday I needed to replace the battery and the Radio Locked up. I tried hitting the mute button on the steering wheel a few times and the radio began working as did the steering wheel controls which I like. Today when I tried it the steering wheel controls no longer work but the radio does. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
fredricow89gta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005   #2
Ozzy88GTA
Old Timer

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 305 TPI Automatic
Re: steering wheel radio controls

Check the connections in the back of the steering wheel button pad. You can remove it easily, it is attached to the steering wheel with velcro on the sides. If that does not fix it , then check the connections on the back of the radio, especially the small connector. Then the worse check is the pins in the steering wheel, which means you'll have remove the steering wheel. The pins slide on a ring and are lubricated, sometimes they get dirty and don't make good contact.

That's about all I can think of.

-Ozzy
Ozzy88GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005   #3
fredricow89gta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy88GTA
Check the connections in the back of the steering wheel button pad. You can remove it easily, it is attached to the steering wheel with velcro on the sides. If that does not fix it , then check the connections on the back of the radio, especially the small connector. Then the worse check is the pins in the steering wheel, which means you'll have remove the steering wheel. The pins slide on a ring and are lubricated, sometimes they get dirty and don't make good contact.

That's about all I can think of.

-Ozzy
Thank you Ozzy I will give it a try. Fred
Old 10-01-2005   #4
fredricow89gta

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredricow89gta
Thank you Ozzy I will give it a try. Fred
Well Ozzy I pulled the steering wheel cleaned the disc where the 4 pins make contact and it still does not work. Could it be the steering wheel control pad is bad and any way to check it before I purchase another? Thanks Fred
Old 10-01-2005   #5
Ozzy88GTA
Old Timer

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 305 TPI Automatic

Don't know what to tell you. I hate to recommend you buy one and then it turns out it was something else. It could also be the radio. I would wait till everything is checked before buying anything.

Does anybody else on the board recommend another remedy?
Ozzy88GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005   #6
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

Well, if you got a buddy with a GTA that also has the same setup with the stereo, I'd recommend swapping radios with him to see if it will work. First, make sure he has the steering wheel controls. If your radio works with the steering wheel controls in his car, then your steering wheel controls are faulty. If his radio works in your car with the steering wheel controls, then your radio is faulty.

Either way, I'd check every inch of wiring from the steering wheel to the radio. You may have a short somewhere or a wire cut from age or some critter that got into the car. A damn mouse in the garage chewed up the knock sensor wiring on my car about 3 years ago.

1991 Trans Am GTA... Hopefully again
Fred91GTA is offline   Reply With Quote