Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA NON-TECH

GTA NON-TECH Got a question about non-mechanical items related to your GTA.... whatever they may be? Then post it HERE!

Old 10-13-2001   #1
92GTA

91 & 92 GTA's with SLP package...

First can anyone tell me exactly everything that it included? Also, this was dealer installed correct, so there was no RPO code and it would not be on the window sticker right? Was there any kind of a sticker put under the hood or anything in reguards to the instalation of the SLP package? How much did the package run?

I'm asking all of this because I just came from the original selling dealer of my 1992 Trans Am GTA where I obtained an original copy of the order invoice for my car and it shows that the original buyer purchased quote "SLP Performance Products" for my car at the time he ordered it built but it did not specify what exactly was bought and the dealership could not tell me. My car NOW does not have any visible SLP parts on it like intake runners and headers but hear me out on this. When my car had only 1,900 miles on it, it was returned by the original buyer to the dealership and exchanged. My car was then a month later, sold at action to it's second owner. Now somewhere along the line here like maybe when the dealership got it back or before it was sold at auction, is it possible that the "SLP Package" could have been removed by the dealer or maybe even by the second owner? Also, look at the ET in my sig, it's just is too fast for my car to be totally stock. Did the SLP package include a cam also? If so I think that someone removed the SLP parts on my car like the intake runners and the headers but of course did not remove the cam because either he didn't know about it or thought it was too much trouble and that is why my car is faster than it should be.

If it turns out that this is what happened to my car, I think I'm going to go out and buy all of the parts that made up the rest of package to put my car back to the way it was when purchased.....

Any thoughts?
Old 10-13-2001   #2
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Alex, the particulars of the available SLP package and the cost can be seen here: Trans Am GTA Technical Specs.

Yes, the SLP package was either dealer or customer-installed, and offered through the GM SPO division, so there was no RPO code and it was not listed on a car's window sticker. Since the package could be financed in with the price if the car, it would show up on the vehicle invoice if purchased at the same time as the car itself. However, the installation voided the factory GM warranty. The package came with an SLP decal affixed underhood that denoted what pieces of the package were installed.

That is interesting that your car would have that notation on its invoice, but have no evidence anywhere of the SLP kit ever having been installed on it. Being that there was no breakdown listing of the parts purchased, I'd assume that the entire package was purchased.... since all the parts were also available separately. That would be my guess. Maybe the parts were bought, but the owner never got around to installing them? Just a thought....

I can't picture a dealer removing the kit because of any warranty concerns.... that''s almost like taking money out of their own pocket. Warranty claims were always high on these cars, and the dealer surely would not want to miss out on any of that "extra funding".... at least I've never met one that would want to.

Yes, at 14.6 in the 1/4-mile your car runs well for a 5.0L GTA, but there seems to be wildly varying numbers for the later model 5.0Ls.... I'd just think you got a really tight engine in there.... maybe it was built on a Wednesday.

Take a look at a test of a '91 GTA with the SLP kit here.

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2001   #3
92GTA

It does show on my original dealer invoice that it was finanaced in with the original purchase price. Doing the math, it looks like the SLP parts that he ordered ran about $2,818 over the sticker price of $27,380.

I don't have that sticker on my radiator so I guess I'm going to have to do some more homework as fas as tracking down the original buyer.

Here are the links to my other posts of this same topics on other sites and what is being said:

http://www.TransAmGTA.com/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000384.html

http://www.thirdgen.org/messgboard/F...ML/001609.html

If it turns out that my car did have it, would it be hard in terms of reproducing it like buying the parts and obtaining that sticker for my radiator from SLP?
92GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2001   #4
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

Yikes! $30,000 for a 5.0L GTA???? Man, that is steep. Makes it easier to see why there wasn't many of them sold, doesn't it?

To my current knowledge, just about all of the parts are still being sold by SLP and various other vendors. You may have to inquire of them on stuff like the PROM and the underhood sticker, but most of the hardware is still available. According to that list of parts, only the availability of the PROM is "iffy".

As for the sticker itself, you may have to find a car that has one on it and the try to replicate it for your GTA.

Good luck.

Old 10-14-2001   #5
92GTA

Thanks for all of the great info Frankie!

It looks like there might be one problem though. If you look here:

http://www.gtasourcepage.com/techspecs.html

It only quotes these 2 part numbers for 90-92:

GM# 12341398 -- 305 TPI with RPO N10 (91-92 RPO R6P) -- $2,085
GM# 12341399 -- 350 TPI with RPO N10 (91-92 RPO R6P) -- $2,085

Now my car doesn't have the N10 option because it's an LB9/4L60 and you couldn't get the N10 on that combo. I guess maybe he bought the parts originally then realized this when he took deliviery of the car and so they were never installed but were on the original invoice......

EDIT: What's that "RPO R6P"? For 2 years all I've been able to find for it as a definition is "CONTROL, SALES ITEM NO. 15"......

Last edited by 92GTA; 10-14-2001 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-14-2001   #6
92GTA

I found this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...item=596722519

Going by the pictures he does not have the sticker on his radiator either. I did however email him requesting a copy of his invoice to compare to mine or some kind of proof that his car is the real thing.....
Old 10-14-2001   #7
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

You might be onto something there, Alex, although really having a non-N10 GTA would make no real difference as far as the package itself was concerned. In other words, the parts would still work as designed on your car too. Just because the car didn't have the dual catalyst exhaust doesn't mean the rest of other parts in the group wouldn't work.

The package(s) were designed and tested with all of GM's performance options already installed on the test cars.... therefore the N10 "requirement". But the package could be installed on a single-exhaust car.... just the power output would be less by 20 or so HP.

The part numbers are straight from GM's catalog; the package was also marketed for other previous years (1985-1992) as well... hence the individual part numbers for earlier years. The Motor Trend articles stated this as well.

Quote:
EDIT: What's that "RPO R6P"? For 2 years all I've been able to find for it as a definition is "CONTROL, SALES ITEM NO. 15"......
Well.... that's a new one on me.

The R6P option introduced in 1991 was the Performance Enhancement Group.... which included the Engine Oil Cooler, Dual Converter Exhaust, Four Wheel Disc Brakes (rear drums for 1991), and the Performance Axle Ratio (3.23). The N10 exhaust was dropped as an individual option starting this year, and was instead added to this new option package. The package was optional on Trans Ams with the 5.0L/M5, and standard on the Formula with the 5.0L/M5. It was a required option on all models when the 5.7L engine was used.

So in other words, all GTAs had it as standard equipment.... except those ordered with the 5.0L/A4.

Old 10-14-2001   #8
92GTA

I suppose it could also be possible that the entire package could have been put on a single cat car since part of the exhuast package was dual cats, I mean they would have fit no problem just like a car that had them factory.

R6P sure sounds alot like G92.....Maybe my definition is for earlier years and your is for the later years........
Old 10-15-2001   #9
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

Quote:
I suppose it could also be possible that the entire package could have been put on a single cat car since part of the exhuast package was dual cats, I mean they would have fit no problem just like a car that had them factory.
Exactly.... there would be no problem at all switching the car over, but an owner would have to come up with the twin catalyst assemby. The twin catalysts were not part of the SLP package. The exhaust modifications consisted of SLP's LH twin-exit stainless steel exhaust and the Tri-Y exhaust headers... the stock catalyst(s) was retained on all applications.

Quote:
R6P sure sounds alot like G92.....Maybe my definition is for earlier years and your is for the later years........
Remember that this package was only introduced in 1991.... the components were available separately before that. According to my sources, the G92 code first shows up in 1989 on the Firebird.

In Firebird RPO nomenclature, the G92 code identifies just the Performance Axle Ratio alone, so actually the R6P option included the codes K34, N10, J65, and G92.

Old 10-16-2001   #10
92GTA

Ok, I found out the real deal with my GTA.

I just updated the web page for my car located here to reflect my most current information: http://www.TransAmGTA.com/Webmaster/...ters92GTA.html

Here is a copy of what I wrote and whats going on with my car:

10/16/01, NOTE: I have found out some very exciting news reguarding my 1992 Trans Am GTA. I have obtained a copy of the original order invoice for my car from the original selling dealer mentioned on the top of this page. It listed the purchase of "SLP Performance Parts" at the time my car was ordered in the amount of $2,818 which was financed in with the original purchase of my car. What this means I've found out through the help of members on this site and www.GTAsourcePage.com is that it looks like my car had been purchased with the optional dealer provided "SLP Package". Since my car right now does not have any of these parts nor the sticker on the top of the radiator showing the installation of it, I have to find out for sure even though it's on my invoice.

Yesterday I was able to contact the original buyer of my GTA and speak with him on the phone. He was more than happy to answer all of my questions and for this I thank him very much. Appearantly the story told above about how the original buyer of my GTA bought 2 of them is wrong. Somehow it got messed up being passed either from the dealer to the second owner, second owner to 3rd owner, or 3rd owner to me. THIS is the REAL story of my car:
My car was ordered on 8-16-91 by one of 2 brothers. Both brothers each bought a 1992 Trans Am GTA and financed them seperatly in each of their own names. The one brother that bought my car also opted to purchase the SLP package at the time of ordering it so that the cost could be finanaced in with the purchase of the car. The other brother did not do this. When the buyer of my car finally had it delivered to him in January of 1992, he was given all of the the SLP package, GM part #12341398, by the parts department of the delaership and he was also given the sticker that went on the radiator. Here's what he did; since the car did not have the factory dual cats which he wanted but could not get because he wanted T-Tops and an automatic tranny and it was not possible to get the dual cats with this combo, he went to the trouble to order the factory dual cat assembly, GM part #10164166. He says he was going to install the entire package including the dual cat assembly BUT he had seen what the new 1993 Firebirds were going to look like so in March of 1992 he returned the car to the dealership and put it towards the purchase of a newer 1993 model. At this point he sold all of the SLP parts package that he ordered for my car to his brother for instalation on his GTA. GM lists the cost of the SLP package at $2,085 and the dual cat assembly at $811.00. This is why it shows on my invoice that all of the parts cost $2,818. Now that does add up to $2,896 but I just got that $811 quoted to me by the dealer yesterday so doing the math it must have cost only $733 back in 1992 to make it come out to the $2,818.

I now must decide whether or not to obtian all of the parts to the SLP package including the radiator sticker and re-install the package onto my car. On one hand, it was not factory installed and therefor could be considered and modification BUT it was GM approved and purchased through the GM parts counter at the time the car was ordered being that it's on the original invoice. Also though, it's just part of my cars history that it was never installed but then again it was meant for my car and should be put on it. I don't know what I'm going to do at this point. If I do decide to put the package on my car, it's going to be very difficult to replicate as the only to get the radiator sticker was to purchase the package thorugh GM not SLP but GM discontinued the package in 1995. I'm going to have to have track down each and every piece and find a radiator sticker. As for the dual cat setup, I might not add that since it was not an actual part of the SLP package.
Old 10-18-2001   #11
92GTA

DUDE, SLP just totally hooked me up!! I called about 3 days ago trying to find that sticker for the radiator for the SLP package. I got referrred to 4 different people then finally I got the right person so I left a message. This morning there was a voice mail from him on my cell, I called him back and guess what, HE HAD THE LAST 2 SITTING IN FRONT OF HIM ON HIS DESK!!! I asked him if I could by them both because I might need 2nd one in another 20 years or so, he said no because he might need to reproduce it in the furture BUT he straight GAVE me the other one fro FREE!!!! I should have it in about a week.

Man I am so damn lucky!!! He's also going to find me a set of the old Tri-Y headers that were discontinued. All of the other parts I need for the package are still for sale on their site......
Old 10-18-2001   #12
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

Congtraulations, Alex. Sometimes perservearance and patience pays off in a BIG way....

Old 10-18-2001   #13
92GTA

Oh yeah, I am totally stoked! I am SO lucky! I'm probably going to have the only other one in existance that's not used.

I deicded to go ahead and get all of the components to the package, install it, and then in a few years when I completely restore the car to concours condition I'll install the sticker after I have a duplicate made. I'm not going to get the dualcat assembly though because even if it's on the invoice it's not a factory installed option on my car and the SLP didn't require it anyway. I have an entire second bedroom full of brand new NOS parts for my car with stuff like a new dash, center console, and other parts that I'm going to use when I do the final complete resto. I plan on driving and enjoying for car as much as I can in the next few years before I go and do a concours resto. I think our cars atleast deserve to be driven and enjoyed as much as possible before being rebuilt stored and used for shows.....