Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 10-15-2001   #1
REMOVED USER

Question..

i know this question should probly go in the tech board but there's too many damn posts in there this will be easier ...
my engine in my GTA runs pretty hot ...i mean it gets around the mark right before the red zone....what could this be and what can i do?
Old 10-16-2001   #2
91GTA383
GTA Member

over heating

The first thing you should check is your thermostat. It could be stuck closed. If you have the stock thermostat it should open @ 195. When your car reaches 200 check your upper radiator hose for coolant flow and pressurization. If there isn't any flow you might have a stuck thermostat. Thermostats are cheap so if you have never changed it and the car has high miles it might be a good idea to change it anyway. If that does not fix the problem you might have a bad waterpump. You also might want to change the radiator cap. The cooling system is pressurized so if the cap is not working correctly your car wont cool properly. Try those first before replacing a pump.
91GTA383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001   #3
nblanchard
GTA Member

Same heat problem here... and I have replaced the thermostat with a 160 degree.... the rad has been replaced.... the guys in the club here say it may be a weak water pump...

225.5hp @ 4250rpm (at the wheels)
325.8ft-lbs @ 3250rpm (at the wheels)
nblanchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2001   #4
90GTA
GTA Member

esalow engine overheating

My GTA always ran at 220 degrees or even a little above 220.And even hotter if I did not run the air,wich kicks the second fan on. I put in a 160 degree thermostat,a high flow performance water pump,new radiator,replaced both fans,and it still ran hot.I found out that this is because the factory switch that tells the fans when to come on is set at a very high temp. because the engine will burn up more of the fuel instead of wasting it (emmisions crap!).There are a few different replacement switches available that let the fans come on at a lower temp..Some people just install they're own toggle switch so they can turn the fans on anytime.I purchased a switch from jegs.com made by Hypertech that turns them on at 176 degrees,and aThermo-Master Power Chip.My car runs MUCH cooler now with the switch,I have not put the chip in yet as I am having some exaust work done,the chip should also help it run cooler.
90GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2001   #5
nblanchard
GTA Member

Ahhhh... the chip I ordered yesterday will turn the fans on sooner.. hopefully this helps

Old 10-17-2001   #6
f-crazy
GTA Member

coool

my car has a 160 degree thermo in iit....when its hot itll runn at 220 but on the expressway it runs at around 140 degrees
f-crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2001   #7
REMOVED USER

Arrow

All of what was said is important. You need to check the thermostat. I ran a 160, but the downside is winter time driving because the heater will not be as warm as usual because of the lowered water temperature. An aftermarket chip is the only way you will see benefit from a lower thermostat. A new radiator cap is a good idea. A clean radiator and engine block are very important. I cleaned out mine once a year.

One thing that was not mentioned was making sure the air dam in the front is connected and does not have any gaps between the body and the air dam. With no front grill openings, the air dam is extremely important for getting air through your radiator.
Old 10-18-2001   #8
f-crazy
GTA Member

water pump

well today i finally got to take my car for a drive after about a thousand of uncle sams dollars and after about 20 mins of bombin around smokin stangs (well 1 n e way) i heard the fan click on...now this is weird because in michigan this time a year its not exaclty warm weather, so i looked at the temp guage and it was at 260 degrees...i immediatly went home and parked it....i got under the car and saw coolant leaking...upon further insepection i noticed that the water pump itslef was smoking and there was no coolant in the tank....ive never had to replace a water pump before so please n e assisantece would be greatly appricated...thanks guys
"crazy"
Old 10-18-2001   #9
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Water Pump Swap is NO PROBLEM...

Very simple to DIY.... did this about a month ago to my red GTA.

1) Drop off the upper air intake ducting and MAF (if so equipped), and the serpentine belt.

2) Unhook and remove the lower radiator hose.

3) Remove the belt pulley from the pump and remove the four bolts that hold the pump itself on the engine.

4) Clean the old gasket material from the engine before the installation of the new pump.

5) Installation is basically the reverse of removal.

6) After reassembly, refill with coolant to the proper level, start car and watch for leaks.

Presto! I'm waiting for my ASE certificate in Water Pump Removal/Installation right now to come in the mail....

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2001   #10
f-crazy
GTA Member

water pump

thanks frankie your guidance has been put to use...
about how long does it useually take and how much coolant do i add back into the system and would this be a good time to do a flush of the system??
and also how would i go about doing that??
thanks again
"crazy"
Old 10-19-2001   #11
91GTA383
GTA Member

flush

Yoiu will need to drain your radiator and your block. On the radiator there is a petcock on the passenger side bottom. On the block, there is a plug on the drivers side just above the oil pan. This wont get 100% of the old coolant out but unless it is really bad it should be sufficient. If you want to go the extra mile you could run a hose through it(use low pressure especially through the radiator). Some quick oil change places will flush the system for you but I dont remember the charge.

Changing the pump shouldn't take too long(in theory). I believe that there is only 4 bolts holding it to the block. Assuming they come off easily for you it shouldn't take very long at all.

f-crazy, where in MI are you located, I'm in the Flint area.
Old 10-19-2001   #12
f-crazy
GTA Member

flush

ok were would i pu the hose when im gonna flush the block??? im gonna use a regualr garden hose but low pressure like u said....and how do i go aboiut dicarding the fluid that comes out of the system..and also how much does it take to fill it up...
i live in westland about 15 miles west southwest of detroit
so u live right up 23 or 75??
Old 10-19-2001   #13
91GTA383
GTA Member

flush

When you take the pump out you could put it in the water passages there. You will need a good size bucket. The cooling system is 4gal(I think). I usually put 2 gals antifreeze 2 water.

Actually if you take 75 to 475 and get off at the baker college exit #4. I'm right down the road from there. I'm going to be changing the waterpump on my olds this weekend. I saw you were having some other problems as well. I am going to be purchasing the diacom software(diagnostic tool) some time early next week. If you want to hook up and see what is going on with your car without spending alot of money let me know and I will help you out. My e-mail is mkoresh12@peoplepc.com
Old 01-24-2002   #14
f-crazy
GTA Member

thermostat

ok this thread has been dormant for awhile....
ok when i start my car when its cold steam or whatever u wanna call it comes out the tailpipes this is normal...after a few mins when i t warms up the thermostat opens and it goes out of warm up mode...well my car was at 220 and air coming out of the ducts was cold..so i bought some antifreeze put it in and thought that was the end of that...well the air is hot when it comes out but even at 220 hell even at 195 its still in warm up mode and the "steam'' still comes out of the pipes this is after it was running fopr 15 mins...the steam will pour out then it will stop fopr a few mins then come back...like the thermostat is sticking and forcing the coolant through the bypass...i replaced the waterpump and the coolant tank is right were it should when hot...sounds to me like its the stat...i was going to change it when i changed the waterpump but theres alot of shit there..what would i have to remove in order the change it??
do i need to take off the tb?
thanks guys
"crazy"
Old 01-24-2002   #15
nblanchard
GTA Member

yeah, the TB has to come off.. its not a difficult job.

Old 01-24-2002   #16
f-crazy
GTA Member

i should do the tb bypass at the same time then right?
what do i need to do that and thats not difficult is it?
how much power did u gain from that?
Old 01-25-2002   #17
nblanchard
GTA Member

yes, you can do the TB coolant bypass.... you need a hose with a 90* angle in it, with a long shaft just over a foot long. NOTE: Only do this if you do not plan to drive the car in sub 65* F weather, or else the Throttle blades will freeze (i pulled 65*F out at the top of my head)

Oh yeah.... I don't think I gained any real power from it, unless I drag my car after the engine bay temperature cooled down considerably. City driving, you will not notice a difference, highway driving, you will notice a bit. All it does is keep your throttle body cooler when there is sufficient air velocity passing through.

Old 01-26-2002   #18
f-crazy
GTA Member

do u have a picture or a diagram??
i wanna see what it looks like
Old 01-26-2002   #19
nblanchard
GTA Member

I'll grab a picture tonight when I am there..... my plenum and runners are off... so it'll be easy to see