Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA NON-TECH

GTA NON-TECH Got a question about non-mechanical items related to your GTA.... whatever they may be? Then post it HERE!

Old 06-14-2000   #1
REMOVED USER

Radio for 88 GTA

I am having problems with the radio in my 88 GTA.
It drops in and out of reception on FM but AM works fine
I can't find anyone who supplies spare parts or replacement head units 4 it
Reading other posts it appears that a new head unit may not work with my steering wheel controls, is this right?
Thanx in advance & long live the GTA
Andrew
Old 06-14-2000   #2
REMOVED USER

GTA Radio

I have owned my 89 GTA since it was new and have had the radio worked on twice. First, the lights did not work properly and considering how sharp the instrument cluster is I had new bulbs installed. Second, about a month ago I finally had a problem fixed that had been getting progressively worse for about a year. Sometimes when I would start the car the radio would not play. A slight tap to the side of the console would "jar" the radio and it would play. Then it progressed to the point when the car went over a bump in the road the radio would cut out and another bump would jar it to work. That was the last straw.

I finally took the radio out of the car, which is very easy, and took it into GM. Where I live in British Columbia the GM dealerships have one private radio repair shop that all the dealerships in western Canada use. This permits this shop to specialize in these radios which lets face it are pretty specialized radios. It use to be in Vancouver now it is in Calgary. For the first light bulb problem I originally used a local repair shop but had better success the second time with the GM subletting process. You do pay about $25 for mailing costs.

Anyhow, I was informed that some of the modules for the radio were no longer available but a little bit of soldering fixed the problem. This has been my experience with these radios. I would consult the local GM dealership in your area first.

Hope this helps.

Ray
Old 06-15-2000   #3
REMOVED USER

Re: GTA Radio

I live in Australia so freight may be a little prohibitive
If anyone can give me an e-mail address or phone number
4 those 2 contact regarding my problem, it would b great.
I understand that i need a FM front end module 4 the radio
Is this right? And if so r they available? Ray, can u e-mail me with more details about the problems and fixes u encountered?
Thanx Andrew
Address is gta@senet.com.au.
Old 06-15-2000   #4
REMOVED USER

Radio

Just to answer one of your questions, i have an 88 gta. i took the factory radio out because of all the problems i had with it and put in a new sony. The sterring wheel controls do not work with any new radio, but there is a company that makes an adapter for gm cars to let the wheel controls work with it. But the prise is 79.00 not really worth it in my book. Sean
Old 06-17-2000   #5
REMOVED USER

gta radio

Where can you get that cable adaptor for the steering wheel controls??? What radio do you have to buy??

please let me know

kevin
Old 06-18-2000   #6
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: gta radio

Kevin, I have been told that you can get these adapters from BestBuy. You might start by checking with them..... and then try your local reputable car audio centers.

Oh, and by the way..... LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU FIND OUT, OK?
HaHa!

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2000   #7
REMOVED USER

Re: gta radio

Thanx 4 the help about the radio.
Is there a phone no or e-mail address 4 Bestbuys?
Old 06-19-2000   #8
REMOVED USER

radio

I live in germany and i've serched for an european receiver for this radio, I find it at www.newellelectronics.com I've ordered one but it do'nt work, I sent it back today. Let's see whether I get a new one. Perhaps he is able to help you too.
Old 06-24-2000   #9
REMOVED USER

Re: Radio for 88 GTA

I would be intrested in one as well. If anyone finds one that works, could you post a message on the board?

Tx

Jacob
Old 07-02-2000   #10
REMOVED USER

Radio Modulator

OK EVERYONE!!!! I found them!!!!!! I just Ordered one throught BEST BUYS!!!!!!!!!! It was $59.00. They have installed 6 and they said they work great!!! It will be in in 10 days. There's only one catch. I know there's always a catch. You must get a radio with a remote. Not one with a wire remote but infa remote. It sends the signal through the wires. But it replicates the signal through the wires to the modulator and there you have your stock steering wheel controls back with a fancy new radio!!! They are available with the first generation steering controls.(Pontiac 87-89 controls)that's the one i ordered for my 88 GTA. They also can get ones for 90 to present also. They al can get it. If they cant find the scu# E-mail me and i will give it to you. (clipperton@email.com)

Hope this helps. Took me alittle while to track this down.

Kevin
Old 07-03-2000   #11
REMOVED USER

Reciever for even frequencies

The owner said that it was the wrong one for my radio. The difference is between the lower plug on the backside. If it is black it works and if it is gey it doesn't work. I'm sorry but my is grey and that may be the reason. Mr. Newell said that he is not able to get the right one for me and will just give me credit for the receiver. Let`s see, at the moment I have the reciever at home.
Old 08-31-2000   #12
REMOVED USER

Is there somthing new in this case??

Has somebody new information about the adapter?
Old 12-08-2000   #13
REMOVED USER

Best buys

ok, can someone please explane what best buys is? is it a local store? is it an online company? is it a shiping company? how on earth do i contact them to get this radio module thing? there is a web site called bestbuy.com but it doesnt have any thing close to a radio-steering wheel adapter.
Old 12-08-2000   #14
REMOVED USER

Best Buy

Best Buy is a large USA based electronic retail chain. What Home Depot is to home repairs Best Buy is to electronics. There is none in Canada but I searched there web site today. In today's (December 8) issue of the Province's business section it is announced Best Buy is coming to Canada with 15 new stores by 2002 and a major expansion by 2005. I get the impression it is like Future Shop but even bigger. A store is planned for the Greater Vancouver area in Langley. The article gives the low down on Best Buy which you can read off the web if you get this in time.

Ray