Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 05-13-2000   #1
REMOVED USER

pressure on fuel pump outlet for 87 gta 350tpi

I pulled the tank of my 87 gta, I couldnt hear the pump running so I figured it was bad, apon removal, i cycled some water
through it and it made a short stream of water with next to no pressure. how much pressure does these pumps
produce??? the stream of fluid it pumps out is about 2 inches long with the pump at a 45 degree angle. I could easily
stop the flow with a very light touch over the pump, i ran 12v to the pump with a car starter, is this pump reacting
normal??? does these cars have a fuel pressure booster of some type near the enjine side??????? thanks fort the
help. pulles the tank of my 87 gta, I couldnt hear the pump running so I figured it was bad, apon removal, i cycled some water
through it and it made a short stream of water with next to no pressure. how much pressure does these pumps
produce??? the stream of fluid it pumps out is about 2 inches long with the pump at a 45 degree angle. I could easily
stop the flow with a very light touch over the pump, i ran 12v to the pump with a car starter, is this pump reacting
normal??? does these cars have a fuel pressure booster of some type near the enjine side??????? thanks fort the
help.
Old 05-15-2000   #2
REMOVED USER

Re: pressure on fuel pump outlet for 87 gta 350tpi

DB,
I checked out the fuel pressure rating on a 94 caprice,which should be the same as a GTA, considering they use almost the same fuel system.The police use the same fuel injection as on the vettes on their caprices. The pressure is 41-47psi.If it is any less or any higher,it will make it run rich or lean.The last time I checked my fuel pressure it was around 47psi.The way you describe the pressure coming out of your pump,makes me believe you are in need of a fuel pump.Hope this helps you out some.

Shiloh
Old 05-17-2000   #3
REMOVED USER

Re: pressure on fuel pump outlet for 87 gta 350tpi

Definatly a bad pump.TPI motors generally see 43.5# of fuel pressure at idle w/hose off and about a 1# drop for every inch of vacume you have w/hose on.Also running a higher or lower presure(to some extent)would not alter a/f ratio because your ECM and O2 sensor will adjust for it.It will give you a better spray patern and your injectors the ability to flow extra fuel as your power increases.In my expirience with TPI generally stock motors like around 48-50# with and adjustable regulator.Side note:my 89 GTA runs low 10's with 51# static pressure.Hope this helps.
Later,
Steve
89 GTA
TTA#850
TTA#861