Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 05-26-2000   #1
REMOVED USER

Problems with Stock Radio & Steering wheel control

Hello everyone,
I've recently purchased a GTA, and the "Mute" button on the steering wheel is not defeating the "LOC" display on the radio.
Any ideas as to what's wrong here? What's not connected? The horn works fine, and that's in the same harness as the controls to the steering wheel.

Thanks
Old 05-27-2000   #2
REMOVED USER

Re: Problems with Stock Radio & Steering wheel control

Well I am not expert at this, but I would take a wild guess and say that maybe GM was smart about this and matched the Steering controls to the proper radio in the dash...

That way if someone removed just the radio from one car to put in another it would not work. (Theft deterant) Of course for those of us that would want to replace a dead radio in the dash with one we found in a salvage yard.. it wouldn't work either...

Lastly.. this is only a wild guess..

www.soncom.com/kvan
Old 05-27-2000   #3
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: Problems with Stock Radio & Steering wheel control

Karl could be right here..... you never know. You can never be sure what previous owners will do.

If the radio has the hookup for the wheel controls, then you most likely have the right stereo. But if you have all the wiring hooked up properly and such, I would bet that there is a problem inside the unit or in the associated wiring. IMO, your best bet would be to remove the radio and take it to a dealer or Delco authorized service center for repair.

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote