Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 05-08-2000   #1
REMOVED USER

Fuel Tank

When removing my gas cap I hear a long hiss of air / vapors. My car is an 88 GTA with the standard 350 with no mods. What is causing this and will it affect performance. I have had an 89 Camaro and 98 T/A and I've never seen this before.

Tx.

Jacob
Old 05-09-2000   #2
REMOVED USER

Fuel Tank

My 89' GTA has always done that especially if I run the tank down to near empty. This sound I have always taken to be a vacum in the tank created by the gasoline being slowly drained by the fuel pump. Once the air tight gas cap in released the vacum is broken and air rushes into the tank. I don't think you have anything to worry about. I will be interested to read other replies on this issue.
Old 05-10-2000   #3
REMOVED USER

fueltank

I have an 87 GTA, and also an 88 Ford Bronco, andI get that hiss with both of them, especially near the end of a tank of gas. I also am pretty sure that this just has to do with the fuel being drained from the tank, and nothing replacing it...so when you twist the cap off, air rushes in to fill the vacuum. Im also pretty sure there is nothing to worry about.
Old 05-11-2000   #4
REMOVED USER

Re: Fuel Tank

Thanks for the info.

/Jacob
Old 05-14-2000   #5
REMOVED USER

Re: Fuel Tank

Jacob,
Its normal buddy don't worry about it.Some gas caps make it do that its nothing to worry about.It will not hurt perf. at all. Just be careful when you fill up,let the pressure off before you take the cap off all the way.I have a 88 GTA and mine does it to.I wrote the article on 88 GTA true or not? Also I am a mechanic for the police north prec.here in Memphis,TN and I get cars doing that all the time.Your car also has a pressure valve on top of the gas tank for that reason,so don't worry its natural.Hope this helps out some.

Shiloh
Old 05-29-2000   #6
REMOVED USER

Air Noise

There is a tight seal with the car on. Have you ever left a cas can outside in hot weather? When you open it up it will hiss at you. Thats why full gas tanks dont seam to explode like empty gast tanks. The lower the fuel gets in the tank the more it can turn to a vapor. It's very commom to do this. (The vacuum is very common) There is no problem what so ever with your car. Depends on the weather and how low you let your fuel get.

87 & 88 Gta owner
Kevin