Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 06-02-2000   #1
REMOVED USER

water pump leak, I hope....

well one week of driving and it's back up on jack stands. I have a lot of coolant coming out, around the water pump, hose appears to be intact, thgough hard to see, it looks as though I have a leak at the shaft of the drive pully for the water pump, and possibly behind the pump as well. So how big of a job is it to change pumps?????
Old 06-02-2000   #2
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: water pump leak, I hope....

Not really a big job. Hell, if I can do it, I know you can. I replaced one on my black GTA Notchback a while back. If memory serves, just drop off the serpentine belt, remove the rubber air intake and MAF sensor for good measure, and you're pretty much right there. I don't remember removing anything to do with the fans or such, just the belt and the intake plumbing.

Four bolts and it's off.....

Anybody who's done this lately..... speak up and help me out here if I'm wrong or have left any (or all of the) important steps out, OK?

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2000   #3
REMOVED USER

water pump

I'm fixing to change mine "again" on the 87 GTA. I'm loosing a small amount of coolant trough the weephole of the pump. Last time it did that I just ignored it and kept filling it with coolant. Hehehehe,, man when those pumps go...they go. LOL !!!

Like Frank said it's an easy job, with good access to the pump. I bought a GM Delco pump the last time it went bad, but this go-around I think I'll get one a NAPA and save a few bucks over an OEM replacement pump.

When you change the water pump it would be a good time to replace the upper and lower rad. hoses and put a new serp belt on. Ups the price a bit, but you won't have to worry about future probs for a long time if you do it all now. You also might want to paint the the new pump to before you install it. Sharpens up the front of the engine a bit.

Jim