Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 05-21-2000   #1
REMOVED USER

87 GTA, wont shift out of......when racing.

OK, bought an 87 gta 350tpi, (tank) has a shift kit, and hypertech stage two chip... I dont know anything about either, any way, when I get on it, it accelerates great in 1st, nails second and breaks loose, but winds up to 5000 rpm and doesnt shift, until I let off and it gets to 4000 rpm or so and then hops int drive... ANy thoughts??? It shifts normal any other time I'm not trying to eat some 5.0 stang....
Old 05-21-2000   #2
REMOVED USER

Re: 87 GTA, wont shift out of......when racing.

I'm not sure what the exact cause is but my 89 did the same thing sometimes,usually when hot,not so often cold.After losing quite a few races I rebuilt it with a TCI kit and converter and it was fine.Just my .02
Steve
Old 06-04-2000   #3
REMOVED USER

shifting problem

I'VE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM TO, REPLACE YOUR KICK DOWN
CABLE IT MAY BE STRETCHED OR SOMEONE HAS BEEN ADJUSTING
IT.
Old 06-04-2000   #4
REMOVED USER

Shift problem...

Try to adj. your TV cable. It is the one that connects to the throttle body via a black clip. To adjust, do one of two things. First, these are supposed to be self adjusting, so with the engine off, crack your throttle all the way open till it bottoms out on the T.B. block. That will pull on your TV cable and adjust it automatically for Wide open throttle shifts. If the adjuster is operating properly, when you do this, you should hear a ratcheting sound. That is the auto adjuster. If that dosen't work, manually adjust the TV cable by pressing in on the black box it runs through in the linkage (bolted to the side of the plenum) and leting it out a little at a time till it shifts correctly. If you manually adj., you might have to play with it a little to get it to shift right. If neither of these work, then seek help at a reputable Tranny shop. Hope this helps!

JD