Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 05-17-2000   #1
REMOVED USER

Trouble with MAP sensor.

I am getting the following computer message:

Manifold absolute pressure sensor - signal voltage
is low during ignition on.

The problem is intermittent. Anyone have any suggestions?

(350, automatic, no mods)

Thanks,

Jacob

Old 05-17-2000   #2
REMOVED USER

Re: Trouble with MAP sensor.

Jacob,you have an 88 GTA with a MAP sensor? That seems odd cause all 87-89 GTA's have MAF sensors and 90-92 GTA's had speed density(using a MAP).
Just my .02
Steve
89 GTA
TTA#850
TTA#861
Old 05-17-2000   #3
REMOVED USER

Your probably right.

The whole message reads:

MAF sensor - signal voltage or frequency is low during engine cruse

OR

MAP sensor - signal voltage is low during ignition on.
Old 05-18-2000   #4
REMOVED USER

OK,now we're talkin.So does this happen at any specific time,rpm,temp,ect...Have you modified you MAF?Also,does it run bad when it throws that code?Problems could be a cracked inlet hose to throttle body or a failing MAF.Intermittant problems are more difficult to diagnose however and in my experience,most are due to wiring prodlems(ie:damaged wire or corroded terminals).But then every car is different,let me know how you make out.
Later,
Steve
89 GTA
TTA#850
TTA#861
Old 05-20-2000   #5
REMOVED USER

It happens when the engine is hot or cold and no mods have been made. The car runs a little rough when the code is showing, but runs great when there is no code. I plan on checking the wires and air intake. Let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks,
Jacob
Old 06-09-2000   #6
REMOVED USER

maf problem

I have an 88 gta and i am having the same problem. When the light is on the car chokes at anything over 1/4 throttle. But when the light is off its fine. I have replasced the maf 3 times already thinking with my luck they just were bad. When i do replace the sensor, the car runs fine for a week and then goes back to doing the same thing. Only i get 2 codes (low voltage or high vaccum at maff) (high voltage or low vaccum at maf) It really aggrivates me because i have no clew what the problem can be. Have you goten yours fixed yet? Thanks Sean
Old 06-10-2000   #7
REMOVED USER

Sean,

My problem seems to have gone away. I got a Code 34 about a week ago and thats been it.

Jacob
Old 06-12-2000   #8
REMOVED USER

thanks

did you try anything? For some reason now mine is gone. Its been good for a week so far and i havent had any problems with it. But i know as soon as i feel comfortable again that darn light is sure to pop up agaiin :-)
Old 06-15-2000   #9
REMOVED USER

Sean,

I hear ya man. I know that one day Im going to start her up and get another code 34.

/J