Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 05-14-2000   #1
REMOVED USER

88 GTA True or Not???

To anyone that can help.
I have a 88 Trans Am GTA, that I was wondering about.After reading the web page reguarding the cars that are true GTA's or not,I started to wonder if mine was real or a fake.I bought the car from a small dealer here in Memphis, because it has a Tuned Port 350 in it,plus the body is in good shape,except the paint.I think whoever had got it painted was trying to save a buck.They didn't paint inside the door jams,and it looks to be a greyish,silver color,maybe the gunmetal metalic that is described in the web page.
I have done a few mods to it sense then,like Headman Headers,MSD 6AL ign. box,MSD 8.5mm plugs wires,TPIS air foil,Hypertec 2 stage chip,Hypertec underdrive pulleys,a 160 thermostat,Grant signature series aluminum steering wheel,B&M Megashifter,3 inch aluminum exhuast,from headers all the way back to a Flowmaster muffler,15x3 Weld Pro Star frontrunners and 15x7 rear Weld Pro Stars,Lakewood liftbars,polyurethane bushings,and K&N air filter.
My question is my car a true GTA or NOT?. The reason being is because I read in that artical that the 88 didn't have fender vents,and some sort of volume control on the steering wheel.Well guess what,I have fender vents and I don't have any volume controlled steering wheel,just a leather wrapped steering wheel with a TA emblem on the horn button.But it has everything else,from the emblems, interior,all the way back to the gold eagle between the rear taillights.Also I keep hearing that the GTA has rear disc brakes,mine don't.I have drum brakes but it doesn't look like the original rearend.It does have the aluminum driveshaft though,and I have the aluminum and gold 16x8 front and rear wheels,with the black WS-6 centercaps.My interior is the grey cloth like those on the GTA web page.I haven't checked out any #'s yet but I'm working on it.
Does it sound like I have a GTA or NOT??I also need a few misc. parts.Does anyone have any suggestions on my car or where to find some misc. parts??? Here in Memphis,I can't find a wrecked TA let alone a GTA.
If anyone has any suggestions please e-mail me back at
Ltaube@msn.com.

Thank You,
Shiloh Taube
Old 05-14-2000   #2
REMOVED USER

Re: 88 GTA True or Not???

Do you have the RPO codes for the car? They are 3 digit codes usually on a label (SPI) inside the center console armrest or in the locking compartment in the trunk. Look for the code Y84. If it's there you have a GTA.

If you dont have the SPI label here are some things to look for:

The little leather flap on the dash. It will say GTA or may have just a gold 'bird on it. IT WILL NEVER SAY TRANS AM.

Seats - all GTA's have the articulating bucket seats.

If your car is an 88 is should have the radio controls in the steering wheel.

Also, you GTA should never have the air extractor vents. I have seen one - it was in an accident and had most of the front end replaced. (Still a car you dont want to buy)

Frank can give you more info than I can.

/Jacob
Old 05-14-2000   #3
REMOVED USER

Re: 88 Notchback

Thanks Jacob.
The inside looks identical to what you said.I have the seats and I have GTA on the dash flap and a little tag underneath the dash flap with performace suspension or something in that order on it.I don't have a tag under the arm rest, but I remember seeing a tag on the door.I think.
The reason I cannot go check right now because its in the transmission shop right now,getting a new trans and shift kit put in it.I hope to have it back wednesday.As for the radio controls,I didn't have those on the steering wheel.All I had was one that was leather wrapped with an eagle on the horn button.But in Franks artical on Authentication data or RPO data he said there were just a handful of cars made with a different radio and no controls on the steering wheel.I though maybe I had one of those cars,but I didn't know.
Hey,thanks for your help if you find anything else out you know where to find me.I check this site once or twice a day.
Thanks,
Shiloh
Old 05-15-2000   #4
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

Shiloh, it sounds to me like you have a car that has been damaged in a prior accident. Everything you describe is right for a GTA, so I'd say most likely that your car is authentic.

That rear end could have been swapped out at some previous time, as all 88 models should have the rear disc brakes. As for the steering wheel, the 88 should have the radio controls on it. The 1987 wheel did not and the 1989 CD player cars did not, but yours should have it. Do you have the factory radio in your car? If not, that could explain the missing steering wheel, as it will not work with aftermarket radios.

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2000   #5
REMOVED USER

Thanks for everyones comments.I hope to have my car back soon.Any other comments will help and be appreciated.

Thanks,
Shiloh Taube
Old 07-28-2000   #6
REMOVED USER

Re: 88 GTA True or Not???

I own a FACTORY STOCK 1988 GTA Notchback & can tell you that some 1988 GTAs came with fender vents. Mine has them. I also have the rear disc brakes on mine. (A friend of mine has a 1990 Z-28 and his front disc pads are large & the rear are smaller, but my GTA has pads on all 4 wheels that are the same size as his larger front pads. HA HA! You lose!) Anyway, your rearend is probably not stock. I am not sure about the steering wheel. Hope this helps.

J. SHULTZ
Old 07-29-2000   #7
REMOVED USER

88 GTA Side vents

Hi There,

NO GTA had side vents!!!! NONE!! Either it's a replica GTA or someone has changed the front-end of the car. Look for paint changes. Best way is to look in your side glove box next to the seats. Look for the "Y84" Option code on the SPI label. If it's not there it's a FAKE. If the tag is gone you can run the #'s through pontiac. Even though your car has the Notchback it can be added also. You can buy aftermarket ones.

Kevin
Old 07-29-2000   #8
REMOVED USER

88 GTA (punishergto)

This goes out to punishergto,

This is from FRANKIE Rider which he gets his info from pontiac."On another exterior note (and also a popular discussion topic), Trans Am GTAs also never had the fender air extractor vents found on regular Trans Ams. This comes into play more for the 1987-90 models, as starting in 1991 the fender vents were deleted from all Firebird models. The vents did not seem to go with the restyled aero package, so they were dropped. So any Trans Am for 1991 or 1992 could be made into a quasi-GTA very easily. Now this is not to say that some 1987-90 cars could possibly have the vents due to unforseen repairs, etc. after construction. In fact, one of 1998's GTA Spotlight cars had the fender vents due to repairs following an accident, but as a rule this should not be the case. I would be very wary of a fender-vent-equipped GTA without the proper identifying codes."

PLEASE DO NOT CONFUSE people out there with Misleading info!!!!!! THEY DID NOT DID NOT come factory with air exctractors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The cars with them have been damaged or Fakes!!!!!!! I'm in no way saying your car or ones with them are all fakes but be leary of them!!! They are not factory. I own 3 of them!!!! And have bought 2 Of them NEW!!!! I have read everything about gta's and have talked to frankie and pontiac.

Kevin