Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 08-24-2000   #1
REMOVED USER

$180 for Front Brake Pads????!

What are your recommendations when it comes to replacing Front Brake Pads, Front Rotors, Shocks and Struts.

I went to the parts store looking for Front Brake Pads and they asked me if I had the performance package...I said yes thinking that a GTA package is what he was asking, but I was shocked at the price differences. Normal pads were $30 and the Performance Package pads were $180 (all prices Canadian) Do I really need to pay this much for just brake pads or can GTA's use regular T/A pads. It's a 1988 GTA.
Old 08-24-2000   #2
REMOVED USER

Re: $180 for Front Brake Pads????!

Alright my friend Let me tell you what I know about this.. I ran across the same thing when I was looking for pads on my GTA...

I stated the same thing.. "Yep I have the performance package" I walked away slapping my forhead.. oh my I said...

Anyway... I did some thinking on this.. and I went back and asked them if i could see the high priced pads compared to the cheaper ones..

Well that answered my question realy quick... Heres the deal.

The performance braked pads, can be commonly refered to as Cars with the 1LE option.. *smile... yep.. I was shocked.. the expensive pads are narrow.. and about twice as long as the regular Trans AM Pads...

If you are looking for some quality pads... maybe buy some semi-metallics.. but I am sure someone may have something to say about that as well.. being that I am really not a mechanic... just highly mechanically inclined.. *smile..
Old 08-25-2000   #3
REMOVED USER

Re: $180 for Front Brake Pads????!

By my experience (on my 1989 GTA), the "regular" brake pads will do fine for you. The " performance" pads are for the 1LE, just like what 92gta said. The high performance pads have different shape since they have double piston caliber (can someone verify this?) and they won't fit your car. To be sure, take you old pads with you and compare them with the "regular" and the "high performance" pads. Buy whichever that fit your car.