Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 05-29-2000   #1
REMOVED USER

Digital Dash Repair

Is there anyone that can answer this question.
I plan on converting my analog GTA to digital dash.
(Because it's cool)I have the whole car to convert it over. Is there a company out there that can repair these dashes and if so is it excpencive?? Can you get a new one?? I dont want to go through all this effert for nothing. If you cant get a new one and it costs a arm and a leg to repair it would not be worth it to do this conversion. Since they only made this dash in 3 years of cars.(86-87-88)
Please any info would be great!!
Thanks very much!!
Kevin
Old 05-30-2000   #2
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: Digital Dash Repair

Kevin, I agree..... it is a cool look for the car's dash. But no, you can't get new dash clusters..... at least not from GM. Whether or not they are available from other sources, I do not know. I think that they can still be repaired by the electronics service centers that GM dealers use.

You might also check Hemmings Motor News and look in their ads to see if anyone in there sells these clusters either new or reman; you can also look for repair companies as well. Contacting them might give you a better idea as to the costs involved repairing these units. I assume it would be substantial.....

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2000   #3
REMOVED USER

Re: Digital Dash Repair

You may have another option. Marks Custom Kits (www.markscustomkits.com) makes a digital dash, complete with harnesses. This dash does not look like the standard GM digital dash, but is designed to replace the analog cluster you have now.

Just a little warning: Mark's stuff is pretty good, but the guy can be a jerk.

For you guys who are looking to change your analog to a OEM digital dash:

My digital dash was installed by the factory and I have
to go in there to change some burnt-out bulbs and would
be more than happy to take some digital pictures of the
wiring and such. Just let me know. Also, my car is 100%
stock. So if you need to know what something was supposed to look like, let me know and I will take a pic. and post it.

Jacob
Old 06-06-2000   #4
REMOVED USER

digital dash

www.tacreations.com sells everithing you need to convert your car. Here is what they told me when i asked about doing it to my 86 TA:

he complete dash is $500. You have to change EVERYTHING. Since they never
made a digital dash in 86. You'll have to change every piece of wiring in the
car to an 88 or 89 model (We have both, $100 for used engine harness)). You
need to change your steering column, wheel and stereo (All digital dash GTA's
had steering wheel control stereos, those parts total $450). You also need
to switch over to digital A/C and all the A/C components, since they are
servo controlled. ($150 used) Since you have the multi-belt system, you will
have to install the serpentine belt system for it to work properly ($200
used). The alternator and compressor are on the opposite sides, so you will
need to recharge the A/C and get a new hose ($25 used). You will also have
to switch over to the 2-wire front headlight motors ($75 each reconditioned)

Don't do it.
Old 06-17-2000   #5
REMOVED USER

digital dash

87 gta did not have steering wheel controls ,maybe you could use 87 wiring harness.
Old 06-19-2000   #6
REMOVED USER

wrong page

have you ever try this link?
Old 07-24-2000   #7
REMOVED USER

Digital dash conversion

Hi there,

I found out more info on convertin the dash. They DID make a digital dash in 86! I had a Red one. They were only available in these years. 86,87,88. No longer available in 1989. ALL 88 GTA's had the steering wheel radio controls. Well most of them. They made a few with cd players. They made 87 GTA's with digital dash with no steering wheel controls. You have to switch some wires around to get the dash to work.

Thanks again
Old 08-03-2000   #8
REMOVED USER

Digital Dash Swappin'.

If you're interested, I wanted to swap my digital dash in my '87 GTA for an Analog dash, I always haveliked the analog dashes, if you want someone to swap with, I might be the guy. Let me know what you think.

Sincerely,
Gregory J. Miles
Old 10-04-2000   #9
REMOVED USER

Re: Digital dash conversion

I have a 1989 GTA with a anolog dash,,, I have purchased a OEM digital cluster and A/c head and had the salvage yard cut the wires about 6 inches from the cluster... what do I have to do to install this in my 89 GTA and make it work...is the inside wiring harness the same???? this digital cluster came out of a 88 GTA,,, I also am haveing the salvage yard send me the A/C servos...please someone Help...what do I need to do. ???? can I cut the plugs at my dash and tie in the wires to the digital cluster? to make the odometer,,fuel,,oil,,amp gages work???and not the service center?? any help will be greatly appreceated.
Old 10-04-2000   #10
REMOVED USER

Re: Digital Dash Swappin'.

Greg

I have 2 anolge clusters...I'll trade ya... you will also need the instrument covers..let me no sunfireamp@aol.com.will mail you out tomorrow. let me no...

Larry Dalton
Old 10-13-2000   #11
REMOVED USER

Digital dash conversion

Ok, the wiring harness will fit in the old spots on your dash. They are marked behind the cluster. You will have to cut your old harness off and wire upi your new harness. You will need 2 wiring diagrams. One for analog and one for digital. I am getting them figuired out as i am writing this message. I have been talking to some people that has converted his 85 TA to digital. Once mine is done I will post the diagrams and procedure.

Hope this helps everyone!
Kevin
Old 10-13-2000   #12
REMOVED USER

Re: Digital dash conversion

Man I hope you get the diagrams soon for the digital conversion. I have gotten a plug schimatic from GM for the 88 and 89 GTA anolog 2 plugs.. the pic shows the 2 plugs and the color of the wires and what each wire goes too. I have been searching for the same pic of the 3 plugs on the back of my 88 GTA digital cluster,,but no dealer in my area has them... any help here?????I have been working on this for 3 months now and want to get this project done,,,does anyone no how to do this or does anyone have a wireing diagram for the 3 plugs on the digital cluster..I have spent a lot of time and funds on this project and I need your help...I will donate my anologe cluster and face cover for the wireing diagram of the digital cluster,,,,my e-mail address is sunfireamp@aol.com please give me a reply ...HELP Larry

If any body needs the wireing diagram for the anologe cluster let me no and I'll send it too them to help with the conversion...trust me you will need it...all I got to work on the digital cluster was the High beam indicater and the left and right turn signals,,and the seat belt light...HAHHAHA...WOW...please help out an old GTA guy....