Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 11-23-2000   #1
REMOVED USER

383...anyone?

Well it is nearing that time of year again...tax time! This is the time of year I do my expensive repairs/ and or modifications. I am seriously considering changing my 350 to a 383. But before I jump headlong into something I might regret I thought I would ask around and see if any of you had experienced or heard of difficulties with this mod, and what your performance increases were. I plan on rebuilding the engine, bored .040 over(maybe .030). Using summits 3.75 stroke crank...undecided on iternally or externally balanced. Forged connecting rods, and pistons. On top I was thinking Trick Flows 23 degree heads, with all the goodies.
And still thinking on the right cam I could use.
Any suggestions?
Old 11-23-2000   #2
REMOVED USER

stroker

Now your talkin'...Strokin it to 383 is really no big deal. There are a couple spots where you might have to relieve the block a little for the crank counterweight clearance. The 383 is known for producing a lot of torque. I run the Trick Flow 23 degree heads and a Comp Cam hydraulic roller cam. Specs are 220/230 degrees at .050 and .510" lift with a 114 lobe seperation. Also, if you get those heads and decide to go with a moderate cam like this one, make sure you get a set of the Crane Gold race roller rockers made especially for the center bolt valve covers. Stock rocker arms won't work with this cam and really should not be installed on these heads. This stuff coupled with 383 cubes, your talking a lot of torque.
Old 11-24-2000   #3
REMOVED USER

383 Stroker

Hey there, i am planning on doing up a 383 stroker for my future car (don't got it yet)... what the other guy said about 383 is right on the money. I have done a lot of research and found that a stock TPI system will starve the 383 for air. You may get away with an upgrade from edelbrock, they offer an intake and runners for TPI, the Part# is #3890 (use with stock heads) and #3892 (for use with aftermarket heads)www.edelbrock.com/automot...bchev.html . I used DeskTop Dyno 2000 to simulate different cams, i have decided with CompCams K12-432-8 Cam kit. This has an advertised duration of intake - 282 and exhaust - 288, a lift of intake .510" and exhaust .520. This set up with a 10.4:1 compression got me around 450 horse and 450ft/lbs torque. I am also going with Edelbrocks performer heads and Federal moguls Hypereutectic Pistons (they are lightweight yet strong).... good luck with your engine... just as long as you can kick some mustang butt, then its all good ;o)