Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 08-01-2001   #1
REMOVED USER

Looking for a few good tires ;o) hehe

Hey guys, and gals (cause I know there's at least one woman on this message board Anywho, I want to buy some sweet tires in a month, I will probably need them since I've refined my skills of doing burn-outs, hehe... I am looking at:

BF-Goodrich G-Force KDW
www.bfgoodrichtires.com/c...a_kdw.html

BF-Goodrich Comp-T/A ZR
www.bfgoodrichtires.com/c...ta_zr.html

Goodyear HP Ultra Plus - www.goodyear.com/ca/tires...PULTP.html

Nitto NT-555R www.nittotire.com/tire_nt...erview.asp

If you guys and gals can help me decide, not only based on the looks of the tires, but functionality as well. Thanx ahead of time.
Old 08-01-2001   #2
Brent87LT1
Multi-Vehicle Member

Cheap!!!!

Don't buy any of these tires! You are still in the years of your life where burnouts are more impressive than getting power to the ground where it counts. The G-force tires are the best street/autocross I have ever seen. They are, in my opinion, the best. But you don't need to spend that kind of money for what you want to do with them.

Try some Falken Zeiks. I run these on the street. They are cheap, look cool, and still work well.
Old 08-01-2001   #3
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: Cheap!!!!

I'm with Brent on this matter! Don't buy expensive tires just to have fun with... they turn into four expensive lessons real quick. When I first got my red GTA, the Goodyear Eagle VR50 was the only tire available for the car at that time. I was VERY good about breaking the tires loose at every opportunity... until I had to price a new set at about 20,000 miles.

Then, every time I broke the tires loose by accident I wanted to get out with a putty knife and try to get the rubber back up off the pavement so I could glue it back to the tire!

The best tires I've run across are the Firestone SZ50 Firehawks; the red GTA has them on it and I really do like these tires a lot.

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2001   #4
REMOVED USER

Re: Cheap!!!!

I see your point... I'll check out Firestone and Falken.. thanks guys.

Checked out Firestone Potenza tires... they look sweet, and an ok treadwear of 300.... The SZ50's look good too...

Falken's aren't too bad... but only problem is, I am going to my cousin to get the tires, he works at a tire shop and gets me deals... I'll have to see if they can get these tires...

Thanks again
Old 08-02-2001   #5
REMOVED USER

tires

I just got my sz50's. These tires are apparantly being phased out by the new sz50 EP's. I just picked up my sz50's off of tire rack for 85 a pop, but it looks like their all sold out. Maybe check your local shops and see if you can get a discount.

General consensus on thirdgen.org was Heavily in favor of the sz50's.
Old 08-02-2001   #6
REMOVED USER

Re: tires

I have always been a BfGoodrich fan and I had the Comp T/A ZR50's on my GTA for awhile now but one thing I don't like about them is that the footprint is not as wide as when my car came with the Goodyear Gatorbacks (I still have 2) of the same size. So that is something I will look for when the time comes. I could use a little help on this question also

www.TheHauntedgrave.com
Old 08-11-2001   #7
REMOVED USER

Re: tires

Hey Guys and Gals, I went with the BF Goodrich G-Force T/A KDW tires... $244 +tax, installed and balanced in canadian funds. Also got a battery while i was there... wanted a nice AC Delco battery, instead of the crappy Sears DieHard (Which is a bad name for it, cause it Died in 4 days of sitting).