Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 08-04-2001   #1
REMOVED USER

Speed Density Vs. MAF

Ok, I know that the later year GTAs came equipped with Speed Density instead of MAF. What year exactly did the switch occur, and what are the differences between Speed Density and MAF? What are the advanatges/disadvantages of either system? Also, I noticed quite a few posts about MAF problems. Since my GTA has Speed Density, is my car not affected by those same problems, or are there different problems related to Speed Density that I have to worry about? Thanks.

-Fred
Old 08-04-2001   #2
REMOVED USER

SD

hey, ive heard some stuff about this speed density system, is it possible to convert a 350 tpi to SD? is it easy? and how much would it cost?
Old 08-07-2001   #3
REMOVED USER

Re: SD

One advantage for MAF is that you can do mods on your engine and the MAF sensor will adjust accordingly. An advantage of SD is that you don't have the in-line sensor in your air intake. Thats all I heard.
Old 08-07-2001   #4
Brent87LT1
Multi-Vehicle Member

MAF/SD

This is a give and take situation. I believe the change occurred in 1991-92. At some point, our cars were equipped with both. The MAF is a more accurate system of measuring air flow and results in better performance and fuel economy. Unfortunately, this system is notorious for malfunctioning. The speed density setup is the street rodders choice. It allows the cone air filter to be mounted directly to the throttle body and has virtually no mishaps with codes. The down side is, it doesn't measure air nearly as accurate wich results in less power and efficiancy.

Changing over requires software enhancements, and obviously, the Speed density equipped intake. If you do the math you will find it is about the same amount of money to maintain the MAF as it is to change over.
Old 08-07-2001   #5
REMOVED USER

Re: MAF/SD

Ok, thanks for the info. So if the MAF responds accordingly with mods while SD doesn't, will that mean that I'll have to get a new chip burned for the car everytime I add a mod? Guess I'll have to learn how to program my own PROMS if that's the case...

-Fred
Old 08-21-2001   #6
REMOVED USER

Re: Speed Density Vs. MAF

The change occured in 1990.

Here are some good reading.

www.racer-x.f2s.com/proc/tpi2.htm

/Peter
GTA -90 350