Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 09-23-2001   #1
REMOVED USER

catalytic converter

Does anyone know what the small metal tube is that is coming out of the cat? I want to replace the cat with a piece of pipe,but I dont know what to do with that tube.Can you just cut it off and crimp it closed or what? PLEASE HELP!! THANX!! 90GTA
Old 09-24-2001   #2
REMOVED USER

Re: catalytic converter

That tube is from your air pump, its an emissions item. I suppose you can put a cap on it and weld it shut, seeing your not worried about emissions. Try to do it closer to the engine though, it'll look neeter, and may reduce leaks in the future.
Old 09-24-2001   #3
REMOVED USER

WHATSUP??? HEY I ORIGINALY PUT A STRAIGHT PIPEON MINE AND DRILLED A HOLE IN IT AND WELDED TE LITTLE PIPE TO IT AND NEVER HAD A PROBLEM BUT THEN AFTER 2 YEARS I DECIDED TO JUST PULL ALL THE SMOG JUNK OFF IF I WASNT USEING ONE PIECE WHY HAVE ANY , RIGHT? JUST GO GET 2 3/4 GAS PIPE CAPS (LIKE FOR YOUR HOUSE DRYER) AND PUT TEM ON THETUBES RIGHT AT THE EXAUST MANIFOLDS THEN JUST TAKE EVERY THING OUT INCLUDING THE PUMP. YOU DONTEVEN HAVE TO GET A NEW BELT THE OLD ONE WILL FIT , BUT FOR WHAT IT IS WORTH THE ONLY TING I GOT FROM ALL THIS WAS THE CAR WAS A TOUCH LOUDE BUT I DIDN'T NOTICE ANY HP INCREASE , BUT IT IS ALOT CHEAPERTHAN A NEW CAT CONVERTER IF YOURS IS CLOGGED ! GOOD LUCK AND IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS E-MAIL ME AT HASBRO248@AOL.COM
Old 09-25-2001   #4
REMOVED USER

High flow catalytic converters are not that expensive... I think it is worth it.. but thats my opinion
Old 10-23-2001   #5
REMOVED USER

i threw on a flowmaster 80 series muffler and chopped off the cat and disabled the air pump(took the pulley off).and i got a very good increase in power and a beutiful rumble i just love.
Old 10-23-2001   #6
f-crazy
GTA Member

air pump

budfreak.....how do i take the air smog shit off?? i have the same muffler but im not gonna be able to cut the cats yet but i will take the smog shit off
f-crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2001   #7
REMOVED USER

just take the pump off and cap the ends of the tubes off the air pump or just pull the pulley off the air pump and take the belt off
Old 10-27-2001   #8
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
SACRILEGE!

I can't believe any of you upstanding GTA owners out there would voluntarily disable any part of your car's emissions controls.... tsk, tsk.

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2001   #9
Tim88GTA
GTA Member

Catalytic Crap

I took the catalytic converter off of my 88 and just put a pipe there to replace it. I got way more power and better fuel mileage right away. It was well worth the $35 for the exhaust shop to do it.
Tim88GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2001   #10
tommydodso
GTA OWNER

cc

what i done to my other t/a was i took off the pipe going to muffler from cat. and i rodded out the cat. it makes the car sound louder and still looks like you have a cat on there but it takes time. it was worth it to me espeacially for car inspections they do not take off the pipe to see if it is hollow or not. just to see if it has one on there.
tommy
88 flame red 350 5.7 digital dash gta
tommydodso is offline   Reply With Quote