Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH

GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH Want to ask about your GTA's documentation, build codes, or other historical data? Then post it HERE!

Old 03-18-2018   #1
LDuncan

Is my TA a GTA?

Hello guys, just bought an 1987 Trans Am and I have no idea if the car is originally a GTA or just TA.... unfortunately I'm 13000 kms away from the car, so I can't check if there's any SPID sticker....

All I know is that it has the normal ugly seats and the digital panel.

Has anyone used the General Motors Media Archives services???

What about www.phs-online.com???

Thanks!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-03-18-PHOTO-00001346.jpg (110.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 2018-03-18-PHOTO-00001349.jpg (97.7 KB, 17 views)
LDuncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018   #2
LDuncan

Re: Is my TA a GTA?

Well, doing some more research I come to find that indeed my car is a Trans Am.....

By the VIN I found that it came with the 5.0 4BBL and there were no GTAs with that option.

Still the question goes, has anyone used the General Motors Media Archives services???
Old 03-21-2018   #3
Firegoose

Hey nice car!!
But it is not a GTA, it has the lower vent in the front fender area, GTAs did not. It also has one of the black plastic wing spoilers that came on '85-'86's. While it could be swapped, the fender vents would be a pain to install. And as far as I always knew, GTA's came with either 305 or 350 both TPI though, not carb.

Haven't used the service you mentioned.
Firegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018   #4
LDuncan

Didn't know that the GTAs didn't have the side air vents... nice tip.

Long story short, when I first saw this car, around year and a half ago, it had the TPI, and then someone removed it, don't ask me why.....

So when I saw the digital panel and remembered about the TPI for an instant thought that it could a GTA, but then did some more research and found a very nice site where it properly decoded the 87 VIN and came to realize that this car was carbureted, so I totally discarded the GTA thing....

Anyway, I'm really happy to own a Trans Am!!!!
Old 03-22-2018   #5
Firegoose

GTA, TA, they are all the same. You have a very nice car to enjoy!! Have fun with it and cruise the nice weather.
Firegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018   #6
JonBlake
Hopefully soon to be restored Third Gen owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firegoose View Post
GTA, TA, they are all the same. You have a very nice car to enjoy!! Have fun with it and cruise the nice weather.
Yes, you have a nice fun car there. I'm always happy to see a third gen out on the road regardless of what it is. Where I live however, the ratio between Camaro and T/A is roughly 9 out of 10. For every 10 third gens I run across out on the road, on average 9 are Camaro's while on average just 1 is a Pontiac.

What's the deal with that? Is it that they made that many more Camaro's compared to Pontiacs? Is it that more Camaro's are being restored, maintained and driven compared to Pontiacs? Is it that there is more attraction to Camaro's vs Pontiacs? Or are the Pontiacs just being put away in garages while the Camaros are out being driven?

Sort of curious as to why this is. Anyone have any idea?
JonBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018   #7
90 L98 TransAm

"What's the deal with that? Is it that they made that many more Camaro's compared to Pontiacs?"

That's part of it. From 1982 to 1990 annual Camaro production exceeded Firebird production anywhere from 54%(1988) to 105%(1983). For some (including me) that was part of the appeal of the Firebirds.
90 L98 TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018   #8
JonBlake
Hopefully soon to be restored Third Gen owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90 L98 TransAm View Post
"What's the deal with that? Is it that they made that many more Camaro's compared to Pontiacs?"

That's part of it. From 1982 to 1990 annual Camaro production exceeded Firebird production anywhere from 54%(1988) to 105%(1983). For some (including me) that was part of the appeal of the Firebirds.
Hmmm. Interesting about Chevy Camaro's being produced more then the Pontiacs. I didn't know that. Why was that?
JonBlake is offline   Reply With Quote