Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 05-23-2016   #21
JonBlake
Hopefully soon to be restored Third Gen owner.

Re: New Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseyc View Post
Hi
Thanks for confirming. My hatch is not aligned side to side. It rubs a bit with the left fender. It could be because the motor is pressing the door too much. I read about the article you sent me but luckily enough I do not have that issue.
Re the spoiler bracket, I hope I manage to find a fiberglass wing and install the narrow wing part using sealant and use screws only at the decklid.
I'm not so sure using sealant would be strong enough to hold that in place. I don't have one so I wouldn't know for sure how heavy these are (both the originals and aftermarket units). But from pix I see, it's a pretty large piece. Good luck.
JonBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016   #22
Roadrunner
87 GTA 305 Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseyc View Post
... My hatch is not aligned side to side. It rubs a bit with the left fender. It could be because the motor is pressing the door too much...
When I aligned the hatch panel on my GTA in the proper front-back position, it would come close to rubbing on the right quarter panel.
The way the holes in he glass were, I could not shift it sideways enough.
I tweeked the hinge position but was not able to get it perfect without losing alignment in other places.
I finaly ended up grinding notches in a couple of the metal hatch panel studs to allow some shifting in the plastic bushings that go through the holes in the glass.

I have seen some cars where GM had rubber bumpers riveted to the quarter panels to hold the gap on each side of the hatch when closed.
This was either the 90's 3rd gens or maybe 4th gens that I saw this on.

I am kind of doubting the pull down latch could hold it off center without having operational problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBlake View Post
I'm not so sure using sealant would be strong enough to hold that in place. I don't have one so I wouldn't know for sure how heavy these are (both the originals and aftermarket units). But from pix I see, it's a pretty large piece. Good luck.
Although not ideal, I imagine that the front arms of the spoiler could be glued to the glass. I drove mine temporarily for a week or so with it just bolted to the panel.
The fiberglass one is much lighter than the original and the front arms are more rigid than original. If I was doing it I would use something like 3M 08609 or 08693 polyurethane adhesive but make sure it was positioned right since it would be a pain to remove.
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016   #23
aseyc

Interesting. I was thinking of having larger holes in the decklid to be able to align sideways. Will look into it. I have a lot of alignment works allover.

Re the wing I think the 3M idea is very good.

Still trying to source a fiberglass wing.
aseyc is offline   Reply With Quote