Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA CLASSIFIEDS > GTA CARS FOR SALE

GTA CARS FOR SALE Got a GTA that, Heaven Forbid, you're looking to send to a good home for whatever reason? Then post your listing HERE.....!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2016   #1
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5
 
1badGTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 1,216


1988 GTA 1 of 809 5-speeds - 22K miles

Hey guys,

Many of you know me on here but I am in the process of moving to California and I am going to sell my baby. This is very hard to do but I dont want to deal with the hassle and costs of moving it, smoging it etc. I am the 4th owner but before you say that is too many I will tell you the guy I bought it from got the title in 1990 when it was 2. It was owned by 2 other people for only a year.

Its a 5 speed and a lot of fun. With the 5 speed came a non-peanut cam and, 140 MPH speedo, 4 wheel disk and 3.45 gear ratio. this means it is just about as quick as a 5.7 of this year but a heck of a lot more fun! drives like a completely different car with the 5 speed. It has 22K miles on it and is in great shape of course!

Below are pics. Please no tire kickers wanting serious offers only as I am serious about selling it. I would rather sell it to one of you than flea-bay!
Asking $14,900 but will take any real offer. I think for the condition are rarity it is well priced. this is a rare bird and fun to drive which makes the miles on it hard to keep low

Some of the pics show black GTA wheels. those are the originals with plastidip covering them. that is off now and they are back to gold. I also have 1988 formula wheels that are powder coated black. I may throw those in or sell separate. depends on if you like them.

The only non-stock things are a 50% tint and the exhaust tips. yes I had them cut the original exhaust tips off to put them on but it was my car and.. well I think it improves the look of the car. The headliner is brand new and looks great (sail pannels/visors re-covered as well)








__________________
1988 5.0 TPI 5-Speed GTA 1 of 809 made
22,000 miles - original floor mats
1badGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016   #2
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5
 
1badGTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 1,216


Re: 1988 GTA 1 of 809 5-speeds - 22K miles








__________________
1988 5.0 TPI 5-Speed GTA 1 of 809 made
22,000 miles - original floor mats
1badGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016   #3
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5
 
1badGTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 1,216


Re: 1988 GTA 1 of 809 5-speeds - 22K miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badGTA View Post







https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqvMWBYh0rk
__________________
1988 5.0 TPI 5-Speed GTA 1 of 809 made
22,000 miles - original floor mats
1badGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016   #4
JonBlake
Hopefully soon to be restored Third Gen owner.
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 231


Re: 1988 GTA 1 of 809 5-speeds - 22K miles

Well I guess this ad makes it official. I'm really sorry to see you having to sell. It's a beautiful car and I was really looking forward to seeing it out here in person. But I guess ya got to do what ya got to do. $14K is out of my league, sorry to say, well unless the lottery gods come to terms with my shady past and hook me up with the winning numbers.

You've got one very gorgeous GTA, so much so it even hurts me to see you have to give it up. How much was the shipping going to be and what all was involved with getting it out here? Did you get quotes and all? I'm curious because if I find a project outside of Cali, I can then get a good idea what the cost and all involved with be.

Also even though you don't have the GTA, if I do get a project going on, I do hope we can still hook up, even if I'm just going out to see a car locally, if you're around I'd love to have you join me cause with a car like yours, you've got a good eye from experience to see any of the good or the bad.

Good luck with the sale. The hardest part for me is knowing I don't have the money to gladly take that GTA off your hands. And at only 22K miles, that's one of the lowest mile GTAs I've seen on any forums so far. Damn!

Last edited by JonBlake; 05-13-2016 at 01:22 PM.
JonBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016   #5
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5
 
1badGTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 1,216


Re: 1988 GTA 1 of 809 5-speeds - 22K miles

Thanks Jon,

I am just not looking forward to telling my 16 year old son. he turns 17 in July...
it was going to be his but alas... I am going to be back home for the holiday weekend and I think I will let him drive it once. he doesnt have much 5 speed experience so I am hesitant. I will though. we will see.
__________________
1988 5.0 TPI 5-Speed GTA 1 of 809 made
22,000 miles - original floor mats
1badGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016   #6
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5
 
1badGTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 1,216


Re: 1988 GTA 1 of 809 5-speeds - 22K miles

also there is a video of it at the end of one of the posts
__________________
1988 5.0 TPI 5-Speed GTA 1 of 809 made
22,000 miles - original floor mats
1badGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016   #7
GTABill
Registered User
 
GTABill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lone Jack, Missouri
Posts: 434


Re: 1988 GTA 1 of 809 5-speeds - 22K miles

So I am gone off and on and this is what I come back to??

Ok, so I am going to be the sane one here and talk you out of this lunacy lol! I'm sure you have great reasons, but here are reasons why this is a bad idea........


1. Where you are going it is almost year round opportunities to enjoy T-top cruising. There are some great roads to travel out there.

2. You will be kicking yourself as you watch it drive away. You have had it long enough and have taken care of it like a child.

3. Goes sort of along with number two, but you will never find one like it again. Might get close, but never the same AND a very good chance you will be paying more for it than what you are selling this one for.


I'm sure I could think of more, but I know you gotta do what you gotta do. I also know that if it came down to needing to do it to make better for the family, you would do it in a heartbeat because I know how important your family is to you. Just make sure you hold to that price. Third gen prices are predicted to start an upward movement soon (according to recent articles I have read).
__________________
Bill

1991 Bright Red GTA...1st place Light Modified Class 2009 & 2014 TA Nationals
41,xxx original miles as of 12/16
Administrator-Missouri F-Body Association (Kansas City Area)
www.mofba.org
GTABill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016   #8
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5
 
1badGTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 1,216


Re: 1988 GTA 1 of 809 5-speeds - 22K miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTABill View Post
So I am gone off and on and this is what I come back to??

Ok, so I am going to be the sane one here and talk you out of this lunacy lol! I'm sure you have great reasons, but here are reasons why this is a bad idea........


1. Where you are going it is almost year round opportunities to enjoy T-top cruising. There are some great roads to travel out there.

2. You will be kicking yourself as you watch it drive away. You have had it long enough and have taken care of it like a child.

3. Goes sort of along with number two, but you will never find one like it again. Might get close, but never the same AND a very good chance you will be paying more for it than what you are selling this one for.


I'm sure I could think of more, but I know you gotta do what you gotta do. I also know that if it came down to needing to do it to make better for the family, you would do it in a heartbeat because I know how important your family is to you. Just make sure you hold to that price. Third gen prices are predicted to start an upward movement soon (according to recent articles I have read).

Bill, I appreciate it. I do. but I have to move my entire family, find a home for my father (I wont be able to have him here with us) and get my son into new schools, sell the old house and find a place here. thats a lot and then to add the car to it, while a nice to have, wont work for me at this point in my life and I would have to ensure I can find a place that has a garage for it then there is smogging, and transport and changing titles to here and changing lic to here for all my cars including this one. I really want to keep it. but I cant and yes I will regret this decision. I already do.
__________________
1988 5.0 TPI 5-Speed GTA 1 of 809 made
22,000 miles - original floor mats
1badGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016   #9
JonBlake
Hopefully soon to be restored Third Gen owner.
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 231


Re: 1988 GTA 1 of 809 5-speeds - 22K miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badGTA View Post
Bill, I appreciate it. I do. but I have to move my entire family, find a home for my father (I wont be able to have him here with us) and get my son into new schools, sell the old house and find a place here. thats a lot and then to add the car to it, while a nice to have, wont work for me at this point in my life and I would have to ensure I can find a place that has a garage for it then there is smogging, and transport and changing titles to here and changing lic to here for all my cars including this one. I really want to keep it. but I cant and yes I will regret this decision. I already do.
Are you really sure you'll be able to maintain over in the San Fran area? I'm saying this cause I've seen this same situation played out hundreds of times over here. People relocate out here after selling their homes and whatnot and then end up leaving a few years later after realizing it's not all it was cracked up to be. This happens quite often to people in the tech world. Here today, gone tomorrow. And most couples with kids are actually leaving the bay area then who are coming in. I heard a new reference a few weeks ago that I've not heard before. Apparently people refer to people moving into the bay area as "transplants" and they treat them accordingly as well. Seems there's a lot of native Californians (bay area) who treat "transplants" a bit different then they do their fellow "born and raised" locals. I hope you've stepped back and really looked at this situation, because once you sell the Pontiac, the house and relocate, these things can't be undone. Good luck and hope it all works out for you. Also my thoughts on this area in general and the current times, if Trump makes president, I'm wondering if the entire bay area will erupt in violence. I say this because just a Trump convention brings out all the thugs who cause trouble and then they turn around after beating, spitting, etc. on Trump supporters and say that Trump caused it. No it was the anti-Trump people who did that. So if Trump wins, I can only imagine what's going to happen around here. Not sure if this would be the best time to relocate out here.
JonBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016   #10
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5
 
1badGTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 1,216


Re: 1988 GTA 1 of 809 5-speeds - 22K miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBlake View Post
Are you really sure you'll be able to maintain over in the San Fran area? I'm saying this cause I've seen this same situation played out hundreds of times over here. People relocate out here after selling their homes and whatnot and then end up leaving a few years later after realizing it's not all it was cracked up to be. This happens quite often to people in the tech world. Here today, gone tomorrow. And most couples with kids are actually leaving the bay area then who are coming in. I heard a new reference a few weeks ago that I've not heard before. Apparently people refer to people moving into the bay area as "transplants" and they treat them accordingly as well. Seems there's a lot of native Californians (bay area) who treat "transplants" a bit different then they do their fellow "born and raised" locals. I hope you've stepped back and really looked at this situation, because once you sell the Pontiac, the house and relocate, these things can't be undone. Good luck and hope it all works out for you. Also my thoughts on this area in general and the current times, if Trump makes president, I'm wondering if the entire bay area will erupt in violence. I say this because just a Trump convention brings out all the thugs who cause trouble and then they turn around after beating, spitting, etc. on Trump supporters and say that Trump caused it. No it was the anti-Trump people who did that. So if Trump wins, I can only imagine what's going to happen around here. Not sure if this would be the best time to relocate out here.
I appreciate your concern. I do. I have been here 2 weeks and so far am quite happy here. I know that there could be anger here. there could be anger anywhere as well. I keep my nose down and do my work. We prayed hard about this move and we believe this is where we are being called to be. Thanks for the caring and the advice.
Mike
__________________
1988 5.0 TPI 5-Speed GTA 1 of 809 made
22,000 miles - original floor mats
1badGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016   #11
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5
 
1badGTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 1,216


Re: 1988 GTA 1 of 809 5-speeds - 22K miles

your guys words keep haunting me... I am considering keeping it..
IF....

If I can just get it moved here.. bring it to my garage park it for a year (starting it and rolling out of the garage once or twice a month) and not changing its registration till I am ready to do so. It will force me to not drive it since I don't want it seen by cops and if its not on the road and on my property they can do nothing. I think this would give me some time to get things settled at home. thoughts?
__________________
1988 5.0 TPI 5-Speed GTA 1 of 809 made
22,000 miles - original floor mats
1badGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016   #12
DynoDave
Registered User
 
DynoDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 229


Re: 1988 GTA 1 of 809 5-speeds - 22K miles

Seems like a reasonable plan. I guess I'd compare the cost of storage in CA Vs. OH. It might be considerably cheaper to add some gas preservative, put it up on jacks, and remove the battery and store it in Ohio. Then ship it to CA when you are good and ready. That will allow you to shop for a shipper at your leisure, shop for a home with garage at your leisure, etc. Save you money, and stress.
__________________
DynoDave
1988 Pontiac Trans Am
POCI #72200
DynoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016   #13
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5
 
1badGTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 1,216


Re: 1988 GTA 1 of 809 5-speeds - 22K miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynoDave View Post
Seems like a reasonable plan. I guess I'd compare the cost of storage in CA Vs. OH. It might be considerably cheaper to add some gas preservative, put it up on jacks, and remove the battery and store it in Ohio. Then ship it to CA when you are good and ready. That will allow you to shop for a shipper at your leisure, shop for a home with garage at your leisure, etc. Save you money, and stress.
I do like your ideas but I do have time. I am moving the family (and car? ) at the end of July and I will rent a home with a 2 car garage. they seem in my price range (2.5- 3.5K a month-ouch) so the storage costs wont be an issue. I do have time to shop for shippers so I am good there as well. I worked till 3 am today and got a call at 6:30 am from one.. thanks bud! lol so now I am up. oh well.

Thanks for the suggestions.
__________________
1988 5.0 TPI 5-Speed GTA 1 of 809 made
22,000 miles - original floor mats
1badGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016   #14
JonBlake
Hopefully soon to be restored Third Gen owner.
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 231


Re: 1988 GTA 1 of 809 5-speeds - 22K miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badGTA View Post
I do like your ideas but I do have time. I am moving the family (and car? ) at the end of July and I will rent a home with a 2 car garage. they seem in my price range (2.5- 3.5K a month-ouch) so the storage costs wont be an issue. I do have time to shop for shippers so I am good there as well. I worked till 3 am today and got a call at 6:30 am from one.. thanks bud! lol so now I am up. oh well.

Thanks for the suggestions.
What is the price for shipping it? That will give me a good idea on what to expect if I find one out of state. I'm holding off hoping that I can get ahold of one locally, or at least within a few hundred miles so I can drive it home instead of shipping cross country.

Another issue I've got is smog testing the car. I know guys who have cars built after 74' and they still need to get them smog tested every other year for registration in Cali. I've been reading old posts on this forum and others as well and I find that in some places throughout the country, owners are claiming their state doesn't smog cars after a certain age. In Cali, it's cars built in 74' and newer that have to be smog tested every other year. If the car fail a test, they seem to make it test more often then every other year. I'm not sure how that works though when buying a car out of state. In Cali, the car has to be smog tested and passed before the title switches hands. Which means it's up to the current owner of the car to get it smog tested and passed before it can be sold. I'm unsure how that would work if I bought a car out of state from someone. It may add complication to the transaction I am assuming.

Last edited by JonBlake; 05-19-2016 at 10:31 AM.
JonBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016   #15
GTABill
Registered User
 
GTABill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lone Jack, Missouri
Posts: 434


Re: 1988 GTA 1 of 809 5-speeds - 22K miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badGTA View Post
your guys words keep haunting me... I am considering keeping it..
IF....

If I can just get it moved here.. bring it to my garage park it for a year (starting it and rolling out of the garage once or twice a month) and not changing its registration till I am ready to do so. It will force me to not drive it since I don't want it seen by cops and if its not on the road and on my property they can do nothing. I think this would give me some time to get things settled at home. thoughts?
VERY GOOD NEWS!!! The use of the Force worked this time lol. This Jedi still has a few tricks up his sleeve lol. Seriously, I do hope you figure a way to make it work.
__________________
Bill

1991 Bright Red GTA...1st place Light Modified Class 2009 & 2014 TA Nationals
41,xxx original miles as of 12/16
Administrator-Missouri F-Body Association (Kansas City Area)
www.mofba.org
GTABill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016   #16
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5
 
1badGTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 1,216


Re: 1988 GTA 1 of 809 5-speeds - 22K miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTABill View Post
VERY GOOD NEWS!!! The use of the Force worked this time lol. This Jedi still has a few tricks up his sleeve lol. Seriously, I do hope you figure a way to make it work.
Same here. I am hoping more for my sons sake as I promised him the car and I don't like to go back on my promises to my kids.
__________________
1988 5.0 TPI 5-Speed GTA 1 of 809 made
22,000 miles - original floor mats
1badGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016   #17
DynoDave
Registered User
 
DynoDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 229


Re: 1988 GTA 1 of 809 5-speeds - 22K miles

This may, or may not help. This is a tractor forum, and they have a fairly active "hauling ads" section. The prices tend to be a little more reasonable, but you have to understand these are open trailers. And I'm not sure how much traffic there is between CA and OH for tractor buyers/sellers/owners. But it's just another option to consider. On this first page, there's at least one other fellow in the same boat as you...shipping a Challenger from Sabina, OH to Garden Grove, CA. Maybe you can hitch a ride on whatever truck he gets set up with.

http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/haulquery.cgi
__________________
DynoDave
1988 Pontiac Trans Am
POCI #72200
DynoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016   #18
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5
 
1badGTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 1,216


Re: 1988 GTA 1 of 809 5-speeds - 22K miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynoDave View Post
This may, or may not help. This is a tractor forum, and they have a fairly active "hauling ads" section. The prices tend to be a little more reasonable, but you have to understand these are open trailers. And I'm not sure how much traffic there is between CA and OH for tractor buyers/sellers/owners. But it's just another option to consider. On this first page, there's at least one other fellow in the same boat as you...shipping a Challenger from Sabina, OH to Garden Grove, CA. Maybe you can hitch a ride on whatever truck he gets set up with.

http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/haulquery.cgi
very nice. I will get on thanks!
__________________
1988 5.0 TPI 5-Speed GTA 1 of 809 made
22,000 miles - original floor mats
1badGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016   #19
JonBlake
Hopefully soon to be restored Third Gen owner.
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 231


Re: 1988 GTA 1 of 809 5-speeds - 22K miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badGTA View Post
very nice. I will get on thanks!
Hi Mike,

I had a general question about your GTA. In another thread I was communicating with a guy about rear spoilers on these cars. I was curious if the one on your car is a factory GM unit or the aftermarket fiberglass unit. If it's the GM unit, can you describe any issues with it due to age? If it's the aftermarket unit can you describe if there were any issues with installation/fit? I'm betting I'll need this information if I locate my project car. I'd like to get your opinion on it.

Thanks
JonBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016   #20
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5
 
1badGTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 1,216


Re: 1988 GTA 1 of 809 5-speeds - 22K miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBlake View Post
Hi Mike,

I had a general question about your GTA. In another thread I was communicating with a guy about rear spoilers on these cars. I was curious if the one on your car is a factory GM unit or the aftermarket fiberglass unit. If it's the GM unit, can you describe any issues with it due to age? If it's the aftermarket unit can you describe if there were any issues with installation/fit? I'm betting I'll need this information if I locate my project car. I'd like to get your opinion on it.

Thanks
It has the factory spoiler. there is hairline crack in the paint on the top but its been like that for the last 8 years and no change.
__________________
1988 5.0 TPI 5-Speed GTA 1 of 809 made
22,000 miles - original floor mats
1badGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1988 Trans Am GTA 5.7L Auto Hardtop Digital Dash 29,000 Original Miles rjsenior GTA CARS FOR SALE 16 05-13-2015 08:45 PM
1988 gta 15k miles 87350gtanj GTA ONLINE FOR SALE ADS 4 04-14-2015 10:50 AM
Close To Concours Original Owner 1988 GTA GJL2000 GTA CARS FOR SALE 25 04-01-2015 03:49 PM
1988 pontiac gta notchback 5k miles 87350gtanj GTA ONLINE FOR SALE ADS 3 10-22-2013 10:05 AM
1988 GTA Notchback for sale merc3065 GTA CARS FOR SALE 0 05-04-2007 12:03 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.