Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA MISC

GTA MISC What you're looking to find out about your GTA doesn't fit in the above categories? Then post your topic HERE!

Old 04-22-2016   #1
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5

Leaving Ohio off to SF

I just wanted to let you all know that I wont be at the 2016 TA Nats so you all have a chance Me and my family is moving to San Francisco from Ohio over the next 6 months. I start a new job there next week and very excited
I will still be on here after the move.
I am looking for a good auto transport company. any suggestions?
Old 04-23-2016   #2
DynoDave

Re: Leaving Ohio off to SF

Congratulations, and good luck with the new job. Was looking forward to meeting you at the Nats some day, but I guess that's not going to happen.
POCI #72200
DynoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016   #3
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynoDave View Post
Congratulations, and good luck with the new job. Was looking forward to meeting you at the Nats some day, but I guess that's not going to happen.

yeah same but I will still be on here causing trouble
Old 04-28-2016   #4
JonBlake
Hopefully soon to be restored Third Gen owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badGTA View Post
I just wanted to let you all know that I wont be at the 2016 TA Nats so you all have a chance Me and my family is moving to San Francisco from Ohio over the next 6 months. I start a new job there next week and very excited
I will still be on here after the move.
I am looking for a good auto transport company. any suggestions?
Hi there,

You'll be moving to my general area. I'm located in Pacifica, CA which isn't far from San Fran. When you get your Pontiac over, I'd like to check it out. And if you're going to be participating in any local shows, let me know so I could come out and check it out.

Just curious if you've found any information about shipping yet. I'm interested in what the cost would be along with what type of paperwork is involved. I'm currently looking for a project car (third gen) and may need to use a shipper, though I am trying not to get into a situation where I have to deal with shipping. If you get any information please post it. If you're car is here and we meet up, I could perhaps use your car as an example to follow in regards to my own project. So far the only cars I've seen around CA are total basket cases. I'm talking modifications gone wrong and no way of telling how it was from the factory. A good clean example would be just what is needed.

FYI - Since I live in the general area where you're moving, are you aware of how San Fran is set up in regards to POV usage? San Fran is very anti-car friendly and it's just getting worse and worse every year because of the local politics. More and more streets are being closed off to vehicle traffic. It's a real mess over there. And I hope you have a place to park off the street cause there is lots of vandalism and theft going on in San Fran. Most residents who own cars in San Fran. don't really care all that much about their cars. If they happen to care, they definitely have a place to park their vehicle off the street, in a garage. I just want to let you know so there isn't any big surprises when you get your car here.

Hope to meet you and see your Pontiac some day.

Jon
JonBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016   #5
rhomanski
The Born Loser

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

I remember back in the eighties getting lost in San Jose and seeing cars on blocks on the side of the streets. No doors, no hood, no seats. They can strip a car in 10 minutes.
Old 04-29-2016   #6
86TA355SR

Talking Re: Leaving Ohio off to SF

Mike,
Congrats on the new job! Best of luck in the future!

Glad I made the trek over to Nationals last year to see your GTA/meet you and your son. Might be a while before I see it again..HAHA.
86TA355SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016   #7
JonBlake

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhomanski View Post
I remember back in the eighties getting lost in San Jose and seeing cars on blocks on the side of the streets. No doors, no hood, no seats. They can strip a car in 10 minutes.
It's probably a lot worse now. I've had friends who've had their cars stolen and seems most happen on rainy nights. I guess thieves do their thieving on rainy nights cause less people are out.

In San Fran, there's been a serious spike in vehicle related crimes (carjackings, hit and runs, vandalism, smash & grab (burglary) etc. etc.) and authorities are saying it's because many jails are so full, they let these type out early and they just turn around and do it again once they get out and back on the street. This is primarily why I am not interested in getting a really nice Pontiac right now. I'm only a few miles south of San Fran, but I don't want to take a chance with a nice third gen which I pay a fair amount for. I'd rather just take on the project and have it run and drive well, skip the beautiful shinny stuff that thieves are attracted to.
Old 04-30-2016   #8
rhomanski
The Born Loser

I lived in Mountain view and went all over the Bay area. I had a '86 that I fixed up mechanically but left the base copper color so no one would be tempted. It got to looking real bad after ten years. I put a Maaco paint job on it. Cops were always pulling me over because it looked like heck. Once they saw me clearly and ran my paperwork, they were a lot more respectful. Funny how that works, lol.

In the Philippines, the locals would always wait for a rainy night to jump the fence and break into the barracks. The rain hid the noise of them running through the jungle better.
Old 04-30-2016   #9
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TA355SR View Post
Mike,
Congrats on the new job! Best of luck in the future!

Glad I made the trek over to Nationals last year to see your GTA/meet you and your son. Might be a while before I see it again..HAHA.
Thanks! it was great to meet you as well!
it would be a while I bet
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBlake View Post
Hi there,

You'll be moving to my general area. I'm located in Pacifica, CA which isn't far from San Fran. When you get your Pontiac over, I'd like to check it out. And if you're going to be participating in any local shows, let me know so I could come out and check it out.

Just curious if you've found any information about shipping yet. I'm interested in what the cost would be along with what type of paperwork is involved. I'm currently looking for a project car (third gen) and may need to use a shipper, though I am trying not to get into a situation where I have to deal with shipping. If you get any information please post it. If you're car is here and we meet up, I could perhaps use your car as an example to follow in regards to my own project. So far the only cars I've seen around CA are total basket cases. I'm talking modifications gone wrong and no way of telling how it was from the factory. A good clean example would be just what is needed.

FYI - Since I live in the general area where you're moving, are you aware of how San Fran is set up in regards to POV usage? San Fran is very anti-car friendly and it's just getting worse and worse every year because of the local politics. More and more streets are being closed off to vehicle traffic. It's a real mess over there. And I hope you have a place to park off the street cause there is lots of vandalism and theft going on in San Fran. Most residents who own cars in San Fran. don't really care all that much about their cars. If they happen to care, they definitely have a place to park their vehicle off the street, in a garage. I just want to let you know so there isn't any big surprises when you get your car here.

Hope to meet you and see your Pontiac some day.

Jon
I will park my nissan on the street for now.. I have not set about shipping the GTA. when that day comes I will have a garage and it will stay there unless I am taking it to a show. I have been told 2.2K on here to ship but I wont pay that high.. I think 1000 would do it.
Old 05-02-2016   #10
JonBlake

Quote:
Thanks! it was great to meet you as well!
it would be a while I bet

I will park my nissan on the street for now.. I have not set about shipping the GTA. when that day comes I will have a garage and it will stay there unless I am taking it to a show. I have been told 2.2K on here to ship but I wont pay that high.. I think 1000 would do it.
A grand is pretty cheap I would say. I was thinking a few grand plus hoops of paperwork. And you have a personalized plate on there that you may lose cause you'll need to register in Cali. Unless no one else has a personalized plate of the same.

Even if you don't ship it, hope we can meet up. And hopefully I can get a hold of a good third gen project car and you can help me out with some things if need be. Basically there aren't too many out there who've got a good third gen example to go on these days.

Good luck with the shipping and all. Curious though, what job do you get in San Fran where it's just a short turn contract deal? Are you into a construction outfit or something? I know there's lots of buildings going up, best guess is your involved with that. I know there ain't too any jobs besides that over here.

Jon

Last edited by JonBlake; 05-02-2016 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-03-2016   #11
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5

Quote:
A grand is pretty cheap I would say. I was thinking a few grand plus hoops of paperwork. And you have a personalized plate on there that you may lose cause you'll need to register in Cali. Unless no one else has a personalized plate of the same.

Even if you don't ship it, hope we can meet up. And hopefully I can get a hold of a good third gen project car and you can help me out with some things if need be. Basically there aren't too many out there who've got a good third gen example to go on these days.

Good luck with the shipping and all. Curious though, what job do you get in San Fran where it's just a short turn contract deal? Are you into a construction outfit or something? I know there's lots of buildings going up, best guess is your involved with that. I know there ain't too any jobs besides that over here.

Jon
Jon,

I work in IT. I am a database manager. It is a perm job. There are lots of tech jobs here so all is well with jobs here. I am not handy with cars so I got a basically new car and know there are some issues. I did fix the headlight motors and such. I dont know much help I can be but I can show you a good example if you want to bring a GTA back to stock.

My plates are not custom. they are historic which means I never have to renew them. ever. Paid 14$ for them. sweet deal and I hope I dont have to ever change the registration

Mike
Old 05-03-2016   #12
JonBlake

Quote:
Jon,

I work in IT. I am a database manager. It is a perm job. There are lots of tech jobs here so all is well with jobs here. I am not handy with cars so I got a basically new car and know there are some issues. I did fix the headlight motors and such. I dont know much help I can be but I can show you a good example if you want to bring a GTA back to stock.

My plates are not custom. they are historic which means I never have to renew them. ever. Paid 14$ for them. sweet deal and I hope I dont have to ever change the registration

Mike
I thought it was temporary since in one of your replies you mentioned that you might not bring your Pontiac. And you're right, there are lots of IT jobs in San Fran and surrounding areas. There are pros and cons to that though. Pros is that you can make a bundle of money because pay is pretty good. Cons though is the cost of living out here is beyond rational and that will eat into the high pay in no time. Over the past say, 10 to 15 years I've had lots of co-workers from out of state who came in just to do work for the cash. In most situations, they maintain their home and family out of state while they are here alone and rent a crap hole place to basically crap, sleep and eat.

Have you checked into the historic plates issue in regards to cars being brought into Cali with such plates? I'm asking because I've never seen a historical plate from out of state in Cali before. Good question. Is historical plates able to also be vanity/personalized? I'll have to do some google searches on that cause I'm curious.

Good luck with the move and hope we can meet up if/when I can get my hands on a decent/good solid project car.

Jon

Last edited by JonBlake; 05-03-2016 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-03-2016   #13
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5

Quote:
I thought it was temporary since in one of your replies you mentioned that you might not bring your Pontiac. And you're right, there are lots of IT jobs in San Fran and surrounding areas. There are pros and cons to that though. Pros is that you can make a bundle of money because pay is pretty good. Cons though is the cost of living out here is beyond rational and that will eat into the high pay in no time. Over the past say, 10 to 15 years I've had lots of co-workers from out of state who came in just to do work for the cash. In most situations, they maintain their home and family out of state while they are here alone and rent a crap hole place to basically crap, sleep and eat.

Have you checked into the historic plates issue in regards to cars being brought into Cali with such plates? I'm asking because I've never seen a historical plate from out of state in Cali before. Good question. Is historical plates able to also be vanity/personalized? I'll have to do some google searches on that cause I'm curious.

Good luck with the move and hope we can meet up if/when I can get my hands on a decent/good solid project car.

Jon

I have not checked on historic plates here but I know you can get customized ones in Ohio. I wanted BAD GTA but I didnt want to pay every year 50$ as that is the additional cost for personalized. since I never have to renew that doesnt make sense to add a renewal. but I am only allowed to drive to shows or shop. I am guessing I cant explain that away here... just driving from Ohio officer...
Old 05-03-2016   #14
JonBlake

Quote:
I have not checked on historic plates here but I know you can get customized ones in Ohio. I wanted BAD GTA but I didnt want to pay every year 50$ as that is the additional cost for personalized. since I never have to renew that doesnt make sense to add a renewal. but I am only allowed to drive to shows or shop. I am guessing I cant explain that away here... just driving from Ohio officer...
I hope that works out for you. I'm sure out of state cars need to register within a specific timeframe, and Cali has it really set up to where excuses are really hard to come by. The huge deal in San Fran and everywhere in the general area for that matter is cameras. They got cameras everywhere, at every intersection. Have you seen the cop cars with license plate readers/recorders? How that works is the cameras both on mobile and fixed platforms capture and record all license plates at all hours of the day/night in all locations, even parking lots. The computer that these images are inputted into can show a hit if the car is wanted for whatever reason. If there is an out of state plate they can find that easily and can record how long they've been detecting that plate. If it's longer then the allowed timeframe from when the car should be registered in Cali, they will hammer you. I know it's ridiculous. But Cali is so hard up for money they are relentlessly pursuing anyone who they can get money out of whether it be fines, penalties, fees, etc. etc. etc. I was in Frisco a few years back and got a parking ticket on a Saturday morning....$64bones! For a friggin parking ticket!

Watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3S2MVQW_qs

And this one is taken in NY but the technology is being utilized big time in San Fran to crack down on anything that can bring in revenue for the city:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8pKLLBmSco

Cali makes such a killing on fines, penalties, tickets, etc. etc. they have these systems operating on full swing. I'm fed up with it as a lot of us are. But to live here we need to play this stupid game. Cali is so desperate for money because of all the damage caused by unlicensed, uninsured, reckless drivers who don't pay registration fees but end up driving into signs and whatnot. So basically Cali is set up to allow these morons to drive but heavily tax those who have money to pay registration and what not. Yeah I'm bitter about it.

Last edited by JonBlake; 05-03-2016 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-03-2016   #15
rhomanski
The Born Loser

On Christmas eve, of '87 I believe, I was going to a computer store and I took an expressway. Speed limit was 55 and it was drizzling. I was driving the '85 Dodge and following a car with one behind me. The lead car slammed on his brakes at a green light and slid into the intersection. I slammed on mine and came to a stop at the edge of the intersection. Only the guy behind me was following too close and tapped my bumper. No damage done though. The lead car gave me the impression he wanted to be rear ended. As soon as everybody came to a stop he floored it and got out of there. Right after that a guy I know did rear end one under the same circumstances. His insurance settled for $10,000 and raised his rates. They didn't even try to fight it. Some make a living off of getting rear ended. So keep your eyes open and your brake ready.
Old 05-03-2016   #16
JonBlake

Sounds about right. There are tons of staged car crash scams going on. A real popular one I see a lot is people making abrupt lane changes into the path of a car that's coming up on them in another lane. They do this lane change right at the very last second as the car is coming up on them to pass. I'm guessing the logic there is if they can just get their car in the lane, if the guy can't stop in time and hits them, rear end job and lawsuit to follow.

My gripe is I've been hit twice in the last two years. First time a guy t-boned my truck at really low speed so there wasn't over the top damage. Guy had no insurance or registration. But CA issued the moron a driver's license though.

Second time a woman rear ended my truck in the rain. This time all she did was hand me the cell phone out her window when I had walked back to her car and the guy on the other end spoke to me cause she didn't know English. She also had no insurance, registration or a drivers license. Welcome to Cali!

In both cases, if I filed a claim with my insurance provider, I would have ended up with increased premiums AND having to pay the deductible. It's just not worth it in so many ways. That's why with my plans for a project car, I just want something that's a cool daily driver third gen that can get up and go and looks somewhat presentable. Nothing else special, just something cool and fun to drive around.

Oh and in both crashes, I called the police cause I wanted a report but the first thing they ask is if anyone's hurt. If you answer "no" as I did, they won't even bother coming out cause they are too busy with other calls.

Last edited by JonBlake; 05-03-2016 at 05:03 PM.
Old 05-03-2016   #17
JonBlake

Wow read this:

http://www.mercurynews.com/californi...g-down-drivers

Just demonstrates how desperate local government is in regards to taking money from us/you:

I was surprised to read that someone only gets 20 days to register out of state vehicles. I thought it would have been more like 6 or so months. Learn something new every day. I'm still looking for out of state historical plate information.
Old 05-03-2016   #18
rhomanski
The Born Loser

I moved to Atlanta Georgia in 1990. I lived on the southside. Came up I75 everyday and took the airport exit. Just south of the airport before the '96 olympics the interstate joined with a local road on the left side. It was two lanes and the interstate was 3 lanes. The fast lane of the interstate merged with the slow lane of this road. The fast lane of this road became the fourth lane of the interstate. I had a mexican in the fast lane of the road cross over to directly in front of me, he was going 45 and I was doing 65. I slammed on my brake and just barely avoided rear ending him. I went into the lane he came from and passed him. We were the only two cars on the road at that late hour. I figured he was looking for insurance money as well. All I can say is stay on your toes in a large city.
Old 05-04-2016   #19
JonBlake

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhomanski View Post
I moved to Atlanta Georgia in 1990. I lived on the southside. Came up I75 everyday and took the airport exit. Just south of the airport before the '96 olympics the interstate joined with a local road on the left side. It was two lanes and the interstate was 3 lanes. The fast lane of the interstate merged with the slow lane of this road. The fast lane of this road became the fourth lane of the interstate. I had a mexican in the fast lane of the road cross over to directly in front of me, he was going 45 and I was doing 65. I slammed on my brake and just barely avoided rear ending him. I went into the lane he came from and passed him. We were the only two cars on the road at that late hour. I figured he was looking for insurance money as well. All I can say is stay on your toes in a large city.
Just out of curiosity, how did you know he was a Mexican? The only way I usually can tell without actually asking them is by hearing the style of music blasting out of their car. Believe it or not, music style is one big give away to where someone from Latin America is from. Also there are slight variations of music in areas of Mexico itself which can also indicate which part of Mexico the person is from. Bizarre huh. that just by the style of music one can tell this.

Last edited by JonBlake; 05-04-2016 at 01:31 PM.
Old 05-04-2016   #20
rhomanski
The Born Loser

The area was building up quite a Hispanic population. All from Mexico. A lot of them illegal. The company I worked for fired all the cleaners that made almost as much as I did and they were all black. Hired a company that employed nothing but Mexicans paid minimum wage. All the guys told me when they showed up in my area to lock up and watch my tools. They had been working with them for a while and said your wrenches can disappear in 5 seconds and you'll never see anybody do it. We never had that problem with the black people. You could leave your tools laying around for days and come back and find them still sitting there. That changed though. If they paid them to clean the same as the black people it may have been different. A poor man will steal your lunch, a rich man will steal your future.