Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 12-07-2015   #1
soarestransam19

Question gta owners with flowtech shorty headers

hello everyone I been gone for a very long time and was wondering if I could ask a question for people that have flowtech shorty headers on their car. I recently installed a set of flowtech shorty headers and matching y pipe to my 88 hsr gta noticed that the plug wires hit right on the rear passenger side header im using ac delco plug r45ts.

what spark plugs out there do they make shorter then the standard plug so I don't have the plug wire burn up on me would like to stay with ac delco since they have the right heat range for the good ol sbc
soarestransam19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015   #2
GTABill

Re: gta owners with flowtech shorty headers

I use the Accell U groove shorty plugs but i dont know if they make them anymore. I didnt realize there was any plug clearance issues but i run plug wires with 90 degree boots so i could see an issue with other wire styles

1991 Bright Red GTA...1st place Light Modified Class 2009 & 2014 TA Nationals
41,xxx original miles as of 12/16
Administrator-Missouri F-Body Association (Kansas City Area)
www.mofba.org
GTABill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015   #3
soarestransam19

Question Re: gta owners with flowtech shorty headers

yea I also have 90 degree plug boots as well and it still hits up on the header I really would like to stay with the ac delco though but im guessing im gonna have to look into these accell u groove u talk about are they different part numbers so I get the right ones with the right heat ranges
Old 12-08-2015   #4
GTABill

Well since i dont put a lot of miles on mine, ive had these for quite some time and dont remember a part number lol. I think i got them from Summit racing or Jegs.

www.mofba.org
Old 12-08-2015   #5
GTABill

I will also add that mine are the emission legal headers so i wonder if mine have a different configuration

www.mofba.org
Old 12-10-2015   #6
quickbird144

Quote:
Originally Posted by soarestransam19 View Post
hello everyone I been gone for a very long time and was wondering if I could ask a question for people that have flowtech shorty headers on their car. I recently installed a set of flowtech shorty headers and matching y pipe to my 88 hsr gta noticed that the plug wires hit right on the rear passenger side header im using ac delco plug r45ts.

what spark plugs out there do they make shorter then the standard plug so I don't have the plug wire burn up on me would like to stay with ac delco since they have the right heat range for the good ol sbc
Do you have a model number for your headers? Just picked up a early style of these for my vortec 350. Hope I don't have this problem.
quickbird144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015   #7
soarestransam19

Exclamation Re: gta owners with flowtech shorty headers

11102FLT These are the shorty flowtechs with matching y pipe if u got these you will have the same problem as I
Old 12-10-2015   #8
GTABill

Quote:
11102FLT These are the shorty flowtechs with matching y pipe if u got these you will have the same problem as I
The only difference in mine is that my part number is 11102SFLT which is A.I.R. tubes on mine. I will see if i can track down a part number for those plugs. I believe SLP at one time sold a short plug as well.

www.mofba.org
Old 12-10-2015   #9
GTABill

I believe these are the ones i have in there now. Seems like there are more options now.

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/acc-8197

www.mofba.org
Old 12-12-2015   #10
quickbird144

Quote:
It appears I have the same ones with the Y. However I have vortec heads and they have somewhat off a offset to the plugs and exhaust port. Hopefully I won't have any major issues. The car has seen 2 sets of longtubes and both sets slightly touched the plug wire on the #7 tube.

How well does the y-pipe tuck and your overall fitment of the headers? Any tips or maybe pics?
Old 12-12-2015   #11
soarestransam19

Exclamation Re: gta owners with flowtech shorty headers

these headers literally suck u will see that the passenger side y pipe to header collector flange is a pain in the a** since the headers will rub up on the frame rail at least mine does getting those nuts and bolts are a pain to install and tighten im gonna weld my bolts to the flange and install that way just cause there is no room to get a wrench up top while tightening it all down if you have ac remove the ac box now to get the 2 rear header bolts also install ur spark plugs first then install the passenger side header after the drivers side in no problem and goes in with ease
Old 12-13-2015   #12
GTABill

Quote:
these headers literally suck u will see that the passenger side y pipe to header collector flange is a pain in the a** since the headers will rub up on the frame rail at least mine does getting those nuts and bolts are a pain to install and tighten im gonna weld my bolts to the flange and install that way just cause there is no room to get a wrench up top while tightening it all down if you have ac remove the ac box now to get the 2 rear header bolts also install ur spark plugs first then install the passenger side header after the drivers side in no problem and goes in with ease
Hmmmmmm.......... I didnt have these kind of issues and maybe for the following reasons. I didnt get the y pipe because i have the dual cat set up so i cut the pipes going to the collectors myself and had a muffler shop customize the pipes to the collectors. I tightened the passenger bolts from underneath because it is true that it is really tight on the passenger side to really do anything other than tighten the front bolts. The other thing i did was purchase header bolts that use a hex key since its kinda hard to get a wrench or socket in those tight spots. My only big complaint is the bolt placement on the collectors. Its a real pain to cinch those down.

www.mofba.org
Old 12-14-2015   #13
quickbird144

Coming from 2 sets of longtubes I think these will be a breeze. I never really had issues getting to the far back header bolts with the right combination of tools. I also will be doing mines on a lift so that may make things easier. But I'm actually looking forward to it. Longtubes were a nightmare to say the least.
Old 12-14-2015   #14
GTABill

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickbird144 View Post
Coming from 2 sets of longtubes I think these will be a breeze. I never really had issues getting to the far back header bolts with the right combination of tools. I also will be doing mines on a lift so that may make things easier. But I'm actually looking forward to it. Longtubes were a nightmare to say the least.
If you have dealt with LTs, then these should be a breeze. They make a good product. I would invest in a good set of header gaskets. Thats my only regret at this time

www.mofba.org
Old 12-14-2015   #15
quickbird144

Happy to report I got my setup in. Dropped my.manifolds and Y pipe and put the flowtechs in and the Y in about 3 hours. I had to spend extra time on a few header bolts since I decided to wrap the headers first and the clamps and some of the wrap interfered with a few header bolts. The very last bolt on the passenger side is in but not tight by and means. Whoever designed that was on something. Didn't have problems with the collector either. Used a extension with a swivel+socket and came from the top to hold the bolt while I turned the nut from the bottom. One of the easier set of headers I've done, and the spark plug clearance is amazing!

Old 12-15-2015   #16
GTABill

Looks good. Glad you didn't have any major issues.

www.mofba.org
Old 12-16-2015   #17
DynoDave

Looks good. Is that DEI Titanium header wrap? You'll have to let us know what you think of that, how well it works, etc.
POCI #72200
DynoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015   #18
quickbird144

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynoDave View Post
Looks good. Is that DEI Titanium header wrap? You'll have to let us know what you think of that, how well it works, etc.
Sure is. Good stuff. Definitely wanna make sure you're fully clothed before handling it. I got fibers on my arms and went through my pants and could feel them for about 2 days. All good now. Smoked for a few minutes. Still smelled it the next day but it's gone now. After a well warmed up drive I can put my hand on the header for a brief second without getting burned. So far I love it.
Old 12-17-2015   #19
DynoDave

Good to know quickbird144. I've read mixed reviews about header wrap, and the material this is made of answers several of those issues.
POCI #72200
DynoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015   #20
quickbird144

So got a question since now I have a leak. Passenger side header, the very last bolt on the cyl #8 port where the tube curves around, how the heck did you get to that bolt?