Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA NON-TECH

GTA NON-TECH Got a question about non-mechanical items related to your GTA.... whatever they may be? Then post it HERE!

Old 06-12-2014   #1
DD9TransAmGTA
Fireturd GTA owner

GTA Year: 1987
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Bringing my 87' GTA back to life

So its been awhile since I've been on here, but I'm finally back to working on my GTA! Heres my build thread
So about 3 years ago I got a 87' GTA that was going to be my first car. I'm 17 now and have gained a lot more knowledge now and I'm ready to get this project done! I ended up getting a Formula that was wrecked, but much nicer. So I fixed it up and made it my own. Now that i'm pretty satisfied(ok thats a lie) with the way it is now I'm going to get going on my GTA again. It's quite an odd car and I wish I knew the history on it. To sum it up it's a 1987 built in October of 1986 so it's equipped with the DD9 Paddle Mirrors. It's fairly rare with the Flame red exterior and Carmine Red interior. The car was first registered with 5,000 miles on it already??? I also tried to contact the GM archives to get anything possible on it as far as history and they said the Vin number isn't in the database??? Kinda odd and I'm so curious to know why......But anyways I'd do anything just to be able to drive it now, but it needs everything replaced pretty much lol. So currently I'm stripping the car so I can have it media blasted since theres a little rust and corrosion here and there. It sat outside for 7 years with leaking weatherstrips before I got it. God knows how long it had sat before then too......I have a LS engine for it that will most likely end up in it. Here is some pictures of it, the pictures of the car together is 3 years ago when I first got it, the rest are all the way up to now.

Heres the first time I laid eyes on her, a 14 year old kids dream......

And a rear shot, I didn't care how ugly it looked, I couldn't sleep for about a month cause all I did was think it about it

The Previous owner threw parts in the interior and the original seats were missing

Ahhh out of the elements finally in a nice cozy garage

And for anyone who cares here is my 88' Formula I built at 16/17, it was hit in the left front, knocking engine, and made a 4th gen spoiler fit

1988 Firebird Formula - C&C T-TOP car, black with grey interior, was a 305 tbi now a 350 tbi, and waiting on a ZZ383 stroker
DD9TransAmGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014   #2
DD9TransAmGTA
Fireturd GTA owner

Re: Bringing my 87' GTA back to life

So I took the front clip off, and the bumpers, also tracked down a good set of seats for it. Today I took the rest of the ground effects off, the paddle mirrors, and t top bar.

Odd rot hole?

Needs 2 new quarter panels, but heres a sideshot

Has rust spots under the door molding and along the bottom lip so looks like 2 new doors it is! I already have a rust free passenger door for it.

The front of the door also has a nice rust patch

No rot under the t top bar, I got lucky!

T top bar is toast...I like the C&C t tops on my Formula way better

Front clip is off! They jacked the car up by the passenger fender at some point and I had to straighten the rocker to get the the bolt...

1988 Firebird Formula - C&C T-TOP car, black with grey interior, was a 305 tbi now a 350 tbi, and waiting on a ZZ383 stroker

Last edited by DD9TransAmGTA; 06-12-2014 at 09:33 PM.
Old 06-12-2014   #3
87350gtanj

Wow, looks like your making great progress keep us updated. Always nice to see a GTA brought back to life by someone who cares and understands what these cars really are and wants to keep it that way!
87350gtanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014   #4
DD9TransAmGTA
Fireturd GTA owner

The previous owner wetsanded it and started taking it apart in 2005 and was going to paint it black?? Good thing I got it when I did cause it would still be sitting with a pond on the floorboards.

Old 06-14-2014   #5
87350gtanj

Gotta love the people like that start taking things apart that the have no idea how to put back together and just give up on them well hopefully you got a got deal when you bought it
Old 07-04-2014   #6
YumikoGTA
Original and Current GTA owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87350gtanj View Post
Gotta love the people like that start taking things apart that the have no idea how to put back together and just give up on them well hopefully you got a got deal when you bought it
Maybe they got sick or something and could not work on it any longer.

Hopefully you can put it back together and make it a very nice GTA again.
Old 07-07-2014   #7
DD9TransAmGTA
Fireturd GTA owner

I'm not sure why he stopped working on it, I think the rust scared him. I think he did all he could with his skills to the car, which was wetsand.

Old 07-08-2014   #8
MunsonGTA
Bad luck or no luck

GTA Engine: Custom

I'm glad you are going to save it and LS swap it. My car has almost that amount of rust on it. If you have any questions about the ls swap, feel free to ask. I'm also selling some stock lq4 parts if you're interested.
87 GTA: Forged 408 LSX short block, TEA stage 2 cnc ported 243 heads, BTR Stage 3 stroker cam, Fast 102 intake, NW 102 TB, Longtube headers, custom 411 ECM, custom harness, custom tuned, Performabuilt stage 2 4l60E with PTC 2800 stall, 9 bolt rear with 3.70 gears and TAP girdle.

11.16 at 123 mph.
MunsonGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014   #9
87350gtanj

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD9TransAmGTA View Post
I'm not sure why he stopped working on it, I think the rust scared him. I think he did all he could with his skills to the car, which was wetsand.

Well atleast its in good hands now and is getting the attention that it deserves and a second chance for that matter!
Old 07-09-2014   #10
86TA355SR

Keep updating this post, I want to see the progress.

Love your effort.
86TA355SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014   #11
87350gtanj

yes definitely keep us updated on your progress!!!
Old 07-11-2014   #12
YumikoGTA
Original and Current GTA owner

So how can you fix the rust damage areas? Also I have additinal question that no one answer a long time ago that I ask. If rusting begins, does it continue to rust even if the car is removed from the weather elements? Or does the rust stop happening once the car is removed from the weather elements? Sorry but I do not have any experiences with rust at all. So I am curious how to stop it if it starts. I am very lucky because nothing on my GTA has started to rust, except the original aero spoiler rusted in 1995 or 1996. But I got a new replacement one in 2001 from a yellow Pontiac at the wrecking yard that may have been a Formula. Since I keep my GTA in the garage and never let moisture on it, this replacement aero spoiler has never started to rust like the original one did. That is the only thing that has ever rusted on my GTA before. And the aero spoiler is the one thing that will always rust if it is in rain and moisture. The one and only way to prevent it from rusting is to keep the car out of the ran and moisture all of the time, not even let hose water run on it.

Yumiko

Last edited by YumikoGTA; 07-11-2014 at 08:15 PM.
YumikoGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014   #13
DD9TransAmGTA
Fireturd GTA owner

To fix the rust I'll have to cut a lot of it out and make sure I get all of it out. Then make a patch for it or get a rust free section from another car. If the slightest bit of rust is left it will usually come back to haunt you in the future. Thats a good question if rust stops once out of the elements. I haven't seen the rust get any worse on my GTA ever since its been inside. But I have one rust bubble on my Formula that has continued to slowly get worse and its always parked outside.