Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA CLASSIFIEDS > GTA CARS WANTED

GTA CARS WANTED Looking to buy a pristine GTA for your own collection.... or maybe you're looking for a "fixer-upper" car? Whatever you're looking for.... post your listing HERE!

Old 12-26-2013   #1
GrandScroll

[CA] WTB: Trans Am GTA Hardtop

Hey everyone,
I've owned a base Firebird for the past couple of years, but I'm selling her and want to move on. Here's what I'm looking for:

-87-90 Trans Am GTA
-Hardtop
-rustfree
-Beechwood cloth interior
-Black or Flame Metallic red

-If its an 87-88, Would like to have a digital dash, but will take the analog dash.

-My budget is between $5-7000.

-I reside in the San Diego area.
GrandScroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013   #2
GrandScroll

Re: [CA] WTB: Trans Am GTA Hardtop

Almost forgot,

It has to be the 5.7L 350 L98
Old 01-01-2014   #3
cyclecamper

5.7L 350 L98 and digital dash. Solid roof, no T-tops. In Long Beach CA.

I haven't told anyone yet, but I accepted a lucrative contract in Fort Knox, Kentucky working in the computer security field for the Army. So...I'm open to either taking my current burgundy GTA project with me or selling it here in SoCal. It's a 50-state car, 350 auto. It was perfect, with an OCD owner, then it was broken into and only the aftermarket burglar alarm was stolen, and the ignition lock and passenger door lock broken. Then it was put in storage in Las Vegas for 13 years. It only has about 28,000 miles. The steering column has been replaced and all wiring returned to stock. The injectors have been removed and reconditioned by RC engineering, with flow numbers and patterns all matching. The fuel tank has been removed & flushed. It has a new Optima battery installed. The electric motor drives for the headlights to raise and lower have been rebuilt, as the original drive cushions deteriorated. It still needs a passenger-side door lock. While in storage the door sills cracked and the window seals cracked, so I have new replacements ( I hope the shop didn't screw up any mounting tabs or I'd have some plastic-welding to do...but these are still available new and not very expensive). The heavy rubber rear deck fin is in decent shape but has surface cracks (flexible paint was not quite flexible enough in the long run) which could be refinished, but I also have the aftermarket fiberglass replacement which is much lighter and longer-lasting. When I took it out of storage in Las Vegas it still had the original tires, which had deteriorated so it now has 4 new tires with 0 miles. I installed a new fuel pump while the tank was out. It has new spark plugs installed and new oil. I recently drained the antifreeze. The intake manifold is off, because I was going to fit an aftermarket Accel. I have the original and the aftermarket ACCEL, which I had polished. I polished the TPI intake. I have the stock thin-wall intake runner pipes (which are not very good, they don't flow great and are I think are more delicate than the thicker-wall 'vette tubes) as well as polished cast runners from Edelbrock I think. The TPI plenum has been just very mildly cleaned up, matching the runner tubes and a slight reduction of the 'bump' in the floor by the throttle body.

What it needs right now:
The driver seat, steering wheel, and horn need to be re-installed now that the wiring is back to stock. The driver's door has the window seal, and needs to have the interior panel & window sill re-installed. The passenger side hasn't been started yet. In the engine compartment, the fuel lines and fuel rails should probably be flushed. Either the original or aftermarket intake manifold needs to be installed with the relevant sensors (which are there), and the rebuilt injectors, and the distributor put in place and timed. The TPI runners & intake re-installed. I also have the factory shop manual for that exact model & year. The paint on the non-functional (strictly decorative) hood intake louvers is discolored because the gold base coat is starting to show. Has new transmission fluid and brakes have been bled (but I don't know whether I trust how complete the bleed was, as it was done by a local service station). The alternator is not original, it was replaed shortly before it went into storage.

I got the car for paying the overdue storage fees. Florida duplicate title is coming to the previous owner now, to be signed over to me (right now I only have a bill of sale). I've got about 4K into it in tires and tow and storage fees and parts and various shop fees and towing to/from shops. It needs few parts but about another 1K in labor or lots of weekends to make it run and a few hundred in cosmetics and window trim labor, rear fin. Then you'd have to decide how perfect the paint should be...

I figure this can be a real matching-numbers "survivor" low-miles show car if someone want a project that can turn a profit and be California-legal. I'd probably take a reasonable offer in order to not have to tow it to Kentucky and quite honestly I cold use some money to help pay for moving and for fixing up my Long Beach home to rent it out ASAP.

If I keep the GTA I'll take it to Kentucky where there's no emissions tests and I can have some bootlegging moonshiner NASCAR shop slap on real high-performance heads and exhaust for cheap. Down there this car is considered "holy grail."

Last edited by cyclecamper; 01-01-2014 at 04:34 AM.
cyclecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #4
cyclecamper

And the rear hatch has new pneumatic cylinders. I've been removing window tint from the rear deck and I think it's all off now. New radio electric antenna. I've got new intake manifold gaskets.

If you look around at my other posts I think there's pictures here of when I pulled it out of storage in Las Vegas.

Last edited by cyclecamper; 01-01-2014 at 04:31 AM.
cyclecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014   #5
GrandScroll

Well thank you. I appreciate it, but I'm kinda looking for a turnkey.

Last edited by GrandScroll; 01-03-2014 at 09:34 PM.