Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA NON-TECH

GTA NON-TECH Got a question about non-mechanical items related to your GTA.... whatever they may be? Then post it HERE!

Old 08-14-2013   #1
86TA355SR

Headliner Repair-Help!

Today I started on the headliner. I called a local shop and they wanted $180. Decided I would do it after reading some post over on third gen.org. Now, halfway through I wish I would have paid them to do it...

This has been driving me nuts! Decided it is getting fixed today.

I took it out through the hatch. I was very careful not to 'break' or damage it.

Where do I get these clips? They hold the headliner up along the windshield. And, how do I reattach the metal part to the headliner board? Where do I find the small metal overhead dome light housing retainer clips? Went to Lowes and no luck.

I plan on using masking tape to reinforce the edge of the headliner board/mirror mounting bracket holes because mine are almost 'punched out'

Next, I spent a lot of time cleaning off the old foam stuck to the headliner board. I used a plastic scrub brush and some compressed air. Makes a hell of a mess, did it outside.

Went to JoAnn's fabric store and bought 2 cans of special headliner adhesive. It is $20 per can! Hope I only need one can!

The headliner material JoAnn's had wasn't even close to the same shade of tan I took off. I realize that mine is aged, but it was like light tan and mine looked brown. Not going to work. I am not buying it from Hawk's for $75 yard, so if you have a solution, I am listening. Need help here.

After a little more research, I saw some guys are cleaning the board off, spraying the adhesive on, and attaching the old cloth headliner with no foam backing. This didn't seem like a good idea to me, I would think it would show every little imperfection on the board. Next thought was to buy the thin foam material, apply it, and then add my cloth. Can't find thin foam. Any ideas?
86TA355SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #2
89JerseyGTA

Re: Headliner Repair-Help!

I would cut your losses now and take it to the shop. In the end you may wind up with a finish your not happy with and you'll have spent a fair amout already. $180 isn't bad for a pro job. I have a feeling spray glue isn't going to hold up w/ heat and cold ??

Here are the clips - pack of 10 - $4.99 ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Headliner...#ht_2942wt_904
Previous cars
69 Camaro (81 to 84)
78 Trans Am(84 to 86)
84 Trans Am (86 to 88)
89JerseyGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #3
86TA355SR

Thanks, I got the clips ordered.

Thought about dropping it off tomorrow morning and let them do it.

I still have an issue with the color match, it wasn't the best at their shop. Only way to solve this is to have the sail panels, visors and headliner done to match.

That is what I am leaning towards...
Old 08-14-2013   #4
rhomanski
The Born Loser

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

Last time I did mine, several years ago, it cost $160 and they did it all. Took them about 45 minutes. That's visors headliners and sail panels. I was driving home less than an hour later. Unless your anal about doing it yourself, I would say drive it down and sit back and relax.
Old 08-15-2013   #5
86TA355SR

I took it in, dropped off the parts this morning. Guy made me a deal since he didn't have to remove/install it. Very happy about the price he made me.

Will post pics when completed.
Old 08-15-2013   #6
86TA355SR

The shop called today and they need to order some more material. Should have it soon.

Used tonight to clean some trim parts and replace clips. A few cold beers and cigars later I was in business.

When I get this done, I will start on my headlight motors.
Old 08-16-2013   #7
Gottabekidding

wish I saw this earlier, I am an automotive upholsterer.
This is how i make a living.
I could of walked you through it.
There are several places to buy the material from.
Your interior is Beechwood, not tan.
It has a more orangish tone to it than tan.
Headliner material can range from 7.99 - 15.99 per yard.

good luck with the reinstall !

did you remove the tan clips from the seat belt or did you work the headiner out around them?
Gottabekidding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013   #8
86TA355SR

I wish you would have too!

I could have just bought the material and had someone do the work.

I removed the clips. Hope that was OK?

Lesson learned, I'll know the next time.

On a different note, I got my headlight motors removed today.

Last edited by 86TA355SR; 08-16-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old 08-17-2013   #9
YumikoGTA
Original and Current GTA owner

We repaired the one in my GTA about thirteen years ago. To do this we remove from the car. That was the most work. We use the spray adhesives and so far to now, it is not separating again. The most important things that I learned from doing this repair is the preparation part of it and to allow the time for the adhesives to completely dry before putting back into your car.

I am glad that you have taken care of this on your car. I know how nice it is to have it corrected. I hated it in my GTA when this was falling down. It was so nice when it was no longer like that.

Yumiko
Old 08-21-2013   #10
86TA355SR

Picking my stuff up in the morning, hope to have it installed tomorrow night.
Old 08-26-2013   #11
86TA355SR

After I got home from Trans Am Nationals, I was motivated to get the headliner put in the car.

Overall, pretty happy with it. I think I washed my hands about 8 times during the install, was afraid of getting it dirty. Wife poked fun at me!

TIP;If you forget to mark the sunvisor mounting holes prior to install, you can use a sewing needle to poke around until you locate them. The mounting pad of the visor will hide any blemish you may make.

This week I hope to get the front brake lines changed. After that, I need to get all the fluids changed.