Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA MISC

GTA MISC What you're looking to find out about your GTA doesn't fit in the above categories? Then post your topic HERE!

Old 08-04-2013   #1
86TA355SR

'91 GTA Memories!

Today I got out the 91 GTA and ran it!

The memories came back. It seemed like 95 when I first bought it! It really needed to be out on the street and ran hard, I really missed hearing and enjoying it! The second stop light, a few guys in an old chevy truck were looking at it and we started talking. Nice guys, they loved the GTA and how it looked. I told them it was the first time out this year and how "rice"cars weren't as much fun! They agreed, guys loved the GTA!

Reminded me that GTAs are meant to be enjoyed and not covered in a garage. Good times!

Took a quick picture at a warehouse area, sure missed driving it, didn't realize until today!

86TA355SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013   #2
DD9TransAmGTA
Fireturd GTA owner

GTA Year: 1987
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: '91 GTA Memories!

Looks great and I'm digging the black on black. Your story reminds me of the other day at the gas station, a worker came out said man that things clean! Makes me wanna drive it more.

1988 Firebird Formula - C&C T-TOP car, black with grey interior, was a 305 tbi now a 350 tbi, and waiting on a ZZ383 stroker
DD9TransAmGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013   #3
86TA355SR

Thank you.

This car spent 8 years in storage. I got it out in 2011 and to my house. Spent about $2K getting it back on the road. I did all the work. Since then, it has only been driven about 40 miles.

Started out as a simple project to get it back on the road. You all know how that goes; turned into having the heads off and basically everything from head gaskets up is new. All fluids, belts, water pump, alternator, injectors, and a longer list I won't bore everyone with. I even pulled the rear end out to clean it up and changed the fuel pump.

Thought of selling it a few times over the years since I don't drive it much. Then I see it sitting in the sun and can never sell it!

Here is the reassembly:

And Sunday after the drive in my shop:
Old 08-12-2013   #4
89JerseyGTA

Looks great ! Nice shop too- nicely painted and AC ??. You're living the dream, why sell ? Time goes by too fast, take it for more rides.
Previous cars
69 Camaro (81 to 84)
78 Trans Am(84 to 86)
84 Trans Am (86 to 88)
89JerseyGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #5
86TA355SR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89JerseyGTA View Post
Looks great ! Nice shop too- nicely painted and AC ??. You're living the dream, why sell ? Time goes by too fast, take it for more rides.
Thank you. I put in AC and heat when I built it, too many years of working in the weather...

If I had one extra stall, there would be a Turbo Trans Am in it. HAHA.

I'll never bring myself to selling the GTA. I am going to do some work to it next year, needs front/rear fascias repainted.

Did you ever get your car together after everything that happened?
Old 08-14-2013   #6
89JerseyGTA

Oh yea. The big fat insurance check helped alot. Fixed and painted whole car. I picked up a 90 iroc vert in the meantime, been working on that last few months.

GTA still needs a tweaking engine wise and interior carpet and seats, but been driving it occaisionally and enjoying the ride. I keep the ttops out all summer and take for a ride once a week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Phone pics 017.jpg (29.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg photordr.jpg (107.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg convertible 001A.jpg (99.6 KB, 7 views)
Previous cars
69 Camaro (81 to 84)
78 Trans Am(84 to 86)
84 Trans Am (86 to 88)
Old 08-14-2013   #7
86TA355SR

Car looks great!

Did you put a fiberglass spoiler on it (can't tell by the way)? I need one and was wondering about the fit.
Old 08-17-2013   #8
YumikoGTA
Original and Current GTA owner

I have the same feelings when I watch my home videos when I was driving my GTA many years ago. These feelings are more intense for me when I see things in the videos that are not there anymore, like some buildings, some roads and trees that are now big but in the old videos are baby trees. My boss he is in his seventees and on some of my old videos that I made driving my GTA from more than twenty years ago, some of the businesses that he used to know are shown in the videos but they have been tore down many many years ago. So when I show the videos to him at work, he is also brought back to these memories of some of the places he loved to go for dinners and after work drinks with friends and co-workers more than twenty years ago. I see in some of my GTA driving videos my first cell phone too.

But the thing that makes me think the most about it is when I see how so many things around my GTA has changed but my GTA looks exactly the same at that time as it still does right now. That is the weirdest thing about it in my situation.

So I understand your feelings about it that you are expressing. To me, it does not seem that long ago at all, but when I watch the driving videos that I made many years ago, I can really see how much the area, and the world too has changed since then. But my GTA still looks exactly the same.

Yumiko
Old 08-18-2013   #9
89JerseyGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TA355SR View Post
Car looks great!

Did you put a fiberglass spoiler on it (can't tell by the way)? I need one and was wondering about the fit.

Thanks, yes that was the most expensive part. My paint guy used a flex agent in the paint on all the plastic parts including the spoiler. Its holding up well. Fits great, right to the clips on the window trim.

Theres a GTA just like yours down the street from me - 90 something/black, been sitting in this guys yard and hasnt moved, Im close to knocking on the door ....
Previous cars
69 Camaro (81 to 84)
78 Trans Am(84 to 86)
84 Trans Am (86 to 88)

Last edited by 89JerseyGTA; 08-18-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old 08-20-2013   #10
86TA355SR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89JerseyGTA View Post
Thanks, yes that was the most expensive part. My paint guy used a flex agent in the paint on all the plastic parts including the spoiler. Its holding up well. Fits great, right to the clips on the window trim.

Theres a GTA just like yours down the street from me - 90 something/black, been sitting in this guys yard and hasnt moved, Im close to knocking on the door ....
I am going to put one on next year. Mine is really starting to crack. It looks great on your car.

Hopefully, the guy will sell to you cheap!