Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 07-03-2013   #1
gm89gta

Exhaust help.

I'm having an issue with the intermediate pipe for my dad's 89 GTA with the 350 TPI engine. I ordered everything through classic industries and the mid pipe that we ordered doesn't match what my dad pulled off the car. The one we recieved for engine code 8 stops a foot short from where it bolts up to the cat. The old exhaust has a 45 degree bend in it. After sending pictures and talking with classic industries they said the other pipes they sell that match what my dad pulled off the car go with the 305. I know shortly after my dad bought the car he had it in the dealer to have the rear spoiler painted because it was cracking and the technition pushed the gas pedal while starting it and smoked the engine. It was replaced under warrenty and now I'm thinking they put a 305 in it and not the 350. So, with that being said, is the 305 and 350 exhaust the same, how many cats did the 89 GTA have because there is only one on the car right now, and does anyone have a pic of the stock exhaust. I really hope my dad wasn't screwed over so many years ago. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've done searches for 2 days now and can't come up with an answer.
gm89gta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013   #2
merc3065

Re: Exhaust help.

Exhaust should be identical on both setups.

The difference was on the combustion chamber size and the heads, a few sensors that were tuned for the 305 vs 350.

89 could have had both setups, dual cat, or single cat.

Best I can do is describe the underside, the Y pipe comes from both manifolds, down and joins just before the passenger side foot well, then it snakes back underneath the passenger floor to the catalytic converter (single cat, not sure about double, do a google search maybe??), then it goes down the transmission tunnel over the rear axle, to the muffler and out.
Old 07-03-2013   #3
TTOP350

What is the build date of your car?
Check your rpo codes sticker in the console for N10, that's dual cats.
This should help.
TTOP350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013   #4
gm89gta

Thanks everyone for the help. I will have my dad check for the N10 code tonight and see if it's there. If I'm understanding this correctly, depending on when it was built determined what exhaust it had. His 5.7 was probably built before it required dual cats and that would make a lot of sense. Thanks again.
Old 07-03-2013   #5
gm89gta

Ok, got it all figured out. The build date on the car is December of 88 and it does not have the N10 code. I found the right pipe through
rockauto.com and sending it to him. Hopefully this will be it and we can move onto other issues. Thanks for the help.