Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA NON-TECH

GTA NON-TECH Got a question about non-mechanical items related to your GTA.... whatever they may be? Then post it HERE!

Old 07-01-2013   #1
Holtzar

1989 GTA - rear spoiler replacement

Dear forum members, I'm in need of replacement spoiler for my 89 GTA. My GTA is all original (less 30k miles) and I'm freaking out a bit regarding replacing the spoiler because I can't find an original part anywhere.

What our your suggestions? I appreciate your help in advance.
Holtzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013   #2
DD9TransAmGTA
Fireturd GTA owner

GTA Year: 1987
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: 1989 GTA - rear spoiler replacement

Hawks thirdgen parts has a fiberglass replacement that won't crack like the factory ones, that would probably be the best one to put on a low mileage car

1988 Firebird Formula - C&C T-TOP car, black with grey interior, was a 305 tbi now a 350 tbi, and waiting on a ZZ383 stroker
DD9TransAmGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013   #3
86TA355SR

Welcome to the forum.

The fiberglass one is the best way to go. You'll only have to do it once.

Good luck.
86TA355SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013   #4
YumikoGTA
Original and Current GTA owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TA355SR View Post
Welcome to the forum.

The fiberglass one is the best way to go. You'll only have to do it once.

Good luck.

Yes, but if you can get an original one that has not started to rust and crack, if you put it on your car that you will never drive it in the weather elements like rain, snow, park it in a garage every night and never let it sit for long period of time in the sun, you will only have to change it once also As my own GTA that has a factory aero spoiler has not started to rust or crack because I do this to my own GTA.

But yes, the original aero spoiler that my GTA came with new only lasted until 1995 or 1996, because I used to always drive my car in rain and keep it park outside all the time. The one on my car now has been on there since 2001 and it is not starting to rust or crack anywhere, so this is the reason.

If you can not locate a good one to replace the damaged one on your GTA, yes....the next best thing to do is get the fiberglass one. But it will not fit the same as the original one from what I learned reading about what the owners on this forum have said about the replacement one. Also the original one weighs a lot more than the fiberglass one does, from what they say on this site about those replacement aftermarket fiberglass ones. The factory ones I think it weighs about twentyfive pounds or something like that as I have lifted that one before myself on my GTA. To me it is very heavy.

Good luck to find a replacement original one and if you get the fiberglass one, good luck to get it fitting exactly.

I few years ago some guy on a motorcycle came to my GTA as we were waiting at a red light. He just stopped near the drivers side of my GTA at where the rear wheel is and was just looking over very closely at my GTAs aero spoiler. I think he was probably trying to see if it was an original one or the fiberglass one, as maybe he is looking for one to get for his own car, if he has one of these type of cars.

Yumiko

Last edited by YumikoGTA; 07-02-2013 at 09:41 PM.
YumikoGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013   #5
86TA355SR

Quote:
Originally Posted by YumikoGTA View Post
Yes, but if you can get an original one that has not started to rust and crack, if you put it on your car that you will never drive it in the weather elements like rain, snow, park it in a garage every night and never let it sit for long period of time in the sun, you will only have to change it once also As my own GTA that has a factory aero spoiler has not started to rust or crack because I do this to my own GTA.

But yes, the original aero spoiler that my GTA came with new only lasted until 1995 or 1996, because I used to always drive my car in rain and keep it park outside all the time. The one on my car now has been on there since 2001 and it is not starting to rust or crack anywhere, so this is the reason.

If you can not locate a good one to replace the damaged one on your GTA, yes....the next best thing to do is get the fiberglass one. But it will not fit the same as the original one from what I learned reading about what the owners on this forum have said about the replacement one. Also the original one weighs a lot more than the fiberglass one does, from what they say on this site about those replacement aftermarket fiberglass ones. The factory ones I think it weighs about twentyfive pounds or something like that as I have lifted that one before myself on my GTA. To me it is very heavy.

Good luck to find a replacement original one and if you get the fiberglass one, good luck to get it fitting exactly.

I few years ago some guy on a motorcycle came to my GTA as we were waiting at a red light. He just stopped near the drivers side of my GTA at where the rear wheel is and was just looking over very closely at my GTAs aero spoiler. I think he was probably trying to see if it was an original one or the fiberglass one, as maybe he is looking for one to get for his own car, if he has one of these type of cars.

Yumiko
Totally disagree here, but each their own. I would never spend time looking for a stock spoiler, money for prep and paint (possibly, if it isn't the same color. Even if it is, chances are the hue will be off and require paint to match car) and take the chance of it cracking down the road. Then what? You spent a bunch of money and time for nothing and back to starting point one. Do it once and done is my motto on everything and half effort yields half results...

As for "if you put it on your car that you will never drive it in the weather elements like rain, snow, park it in a garage every night and never let it sit for long period of time in the sun, you will only have to change it once also" seems restrictive to me. If I got to worry about my car sitting in the sun cracking the spoiler, then I am not going to put the same part back on my car when it splits.

I have a low mile GTA that has only sat in a climate controlled garage and never been in the elements...it has a crack developing now. So, I don't think it really matters how well you take care of them, the point is the original materials are inferior to the fiberglass one.

I have saw several of the fiberglass spoilers in person and the fit is excellent. Sure, some have had issues, but what new product doesn't? And at this point, the fit issues seem to have been corrected, all of the ones I have saw in the last few years are fantastic. Had the owners not told me they were replacements, I wouldn't have known. Internet "knowledge" isn't always reliable. My eyes are and I wouldn't hestitate about putting one on my car, even as picky as I am about my GTAs.
86TA355SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013   #6
Holtzar

Thanks 86TA. I've been researching the rear spoiler and one thing for sure, locating an original spoiler will be extremely challenging. If the fit of the new fiberglass aftermarket spoiler is good and tight then I'm likely going in that direction.
Holtzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013   #7
TTOP350

Sometimes the spoilers need some work to fit correctly but since its fiberglass it'll b a easy fix.
TTOP350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013   #8
Gottabekidding

There are some battles to take on and some to let go.

GM is not perfect. As much as they know, like everyone else, they still are learning.
The aerowing (both styles) look fantastic on the Bird's. Unfortunately the metal framework inside the
wing was never treated and/or painted. Foam holds water. When the metal goes to corrode
it expands and cracks the outer skin of the wing. Letting more water into the foam. GM painted a sponge!

But, as i stated they learned. GM does not do that anymore. So in 91 they went with the plastic wings.
That type of plastic gets brittle over time being exposed to the sun. It is the same plastic as the ground effects for those years.
GM is still learning. 4th gens do not share the same plastics.

The aftermarket version of the Aerowing is fiberglass.
This is a huge improvement over the factory unit.
There will need to be some block sanding and such before getting painted.
It looks identical to the factory unit when finished.
It is easier on the hatch's struts and hinges as well.

That motorcycle guy that was probably trying to see if it was an original one or the fiberglass one,
was probably admiring the style of the aerowing. They look good on the Firebird's.

If you could find a factory wing and only drive the car when it is dry and make sure you
never get the rear hatch wet when you wash the vehicle, just my own opinion - why drive the car?
Put it in a museum, where it belongs.
Gottabekidding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013   #9
TTOP350

If anyone ever needs the correct glue for the crack/break prone 91-92 spoilers

The 91-92 wings cause lift and shouldn't be used for high speeds (130 and up). Use the 85-90 wing for top speed work.

Last edited by TTOP350; 07-04-2013 at 08:35 AM.
TTOP350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013   #10
YumikoGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TA355SR View Post
Totally disagree here, but each their own. I would never spend time looking for a stock spoiler, money for prep and paint (possibly, if it isn't the same color. Even if it is, chances are the hue will be off and require paint to match car) and take the chance of it cracking down the road. Then what? You spent a bunch of money and time for nothing and back to starting point one. Do it once and done is my motto on everything and half effort yields half results...

As for "if you put it on your car that you will never drive it in the weather elements like rain, snow, park it in a garage every night and never let it sit for long period of time in the sun, you will only have to change it once also" seems restrictive to me. If I got to worry about my car sitting in the sun cracking the spoiler, then I am not going to put the same part back on my car when it splits.

I have a low mile GTA that has only sat in a climate controlled garage and never been in the elements...it has a crack developing now. So, I don't think it really matters how well you take care of them, the point is the original materials are inferior to the fiberglass one.

I have saw several of the fiberglass spoilers in person and the fit is excellent. Sure, some have had issues, but what new product doesn't? And at this point, the fit issues seem to have been corrected, all of the ones I have saw in the last few years are fantastic. Had the owners not told me they were replacements, I wouldn't have known. Internet "knowledge" isn't always reliable. My eyes are and I wouldn't hestitate about putting one on my car, even as picky as I am about my GTAs.
As I mentioned before, the one that is on my car now is the factory correct one and I put it on my GTA during the restoration project, and twelve years later, it is in the same exact brand new condition as it was when I first found it. As my original one only lasted around seven or eight years before it had to be replaced because it had cracked and rusted apart. This current one that is on my GTA is like new still which indicates that it will be perfect just as long as it is away from moistures and weather elements like severe heat and cold changes in the weather. If someone says their car has never seen rain or snow but have the fiberglass aero spoiler on it, well, we all know the truth about it then.

If you do not have any other choice but the fiberglass aftermarket one, it would be recommended to get the fiberglass one so the car looks to be complete condition. However, to a real car collector or someone who wants to own a real collectable car, it is most important to them that even the aero spoiler is a factory correct one. A like brand new factory correct aero spoiler will always be worth more to such a collector compared to a fiberglass aftermarket replacement piece.

If I did not have the one on my car and could not locate a factory correct original aero spoiler, I can tell you that I would have to except the fiberglass replacement one just so my GTA looked like it was complete.

Yumiko
Old 07-06-2013   #11
merc3065

Mine cracked, it never saw snow, but it did see car washing, and the occasional rain. It still cracked and puckered all around the base of it. The upper half was in perfect shape, the underside when I took it off to do some minor rust touch up on the hatch, it literally stuck to the hatch and ripped off revealing a block of rust underneath. This is after 18 years of being on the car. Though trying to find a NOS aero wing, I found one place in Toronto that had tabs on 2 of them and they wanted $1800 each. So if you're willing to spend the money on NOS parts, by all means go nuts, otherwise, save a few pennies and heart ache down the road and get a fiberglass one and never look back. It also means when its time to replace the hatch struts, you can go to a lower PSI strut. It saves weight overall and helps with the performance aspect of the car. Lower weight to horsepower ratio.
Old 07-21-2013   #12
YumikoGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc3065 View Post
Mine cracked, it never saw snow, but it did see car washing, and the occasional rain.
These are some of the things that I mentioned that make them rust and fail. This is how you can tell if one of these GTAs was really stored in a garage only and never in the bad weather elements as some owners like to suggest that they did with their GTA. I took absolutely wonderful care of my GTA during the first ten years that I had it, but the original aero spoiler still rusted and broke apart after so many years, because I used to have it parked outside in the weather, driving it in the rain and always running hose water all over it when washing it.

My GTA has been kept in garage now for fourteen years, never in the rain and when I wash it, I do like sponge bath to it so no water goes between the aero spoiler and the surface of the car where it is mounted. And like I said before, the replacement factory aero spoiler on my GTA that I put it on my car in 2002 is still like new. So this is the absolute solution to keeping an original GM aero spoiler on your GTA without it rusting and breaking apart. If this is not how a GTA owner wants to use their GTA, then they should get the fiberglass aftermarket aero spoiler instead, as one of those will make the life with your GTA much much easier. I know exactly because I always have to worry about my GTA for this reason too. Even building up condensation from exhaust when running it in our garage is not good, so when I run my GTA, I must have the exhaust going away from the back of the car, which is easy. I just turn it on the engine and then move the car backwards towards the open garage door and also have an electric fan on to blow away the fumes out of the open garage door (mostly in the winter time when it is very damp and cold). Because in the summer, we just drive it.

Good luck.....

Yumiko

Last edited by YumikoGTA; 07-21-2013 at 10:22 AM.
YumikoGTA is offline   Reply With Quote