Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH

GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH Want to ask about your GTA's documentation, build codes, or other historical data? Then post it HERE!

Old 06-28-2013   #1
Jasonzbtzl

Emblens and how they were attached??

I'm looking at a 1988' red GTA has low miles, approximately 78k.

I've seen a picture of the SPI

Problem I have is, I notice in the pictures of the car, there is no hole on the front bumber were the emblem would have been affixed. On the source page in authentication it says the front was affixed with a stud and speed nut, yet this bumper seems to have no hole, this leasds me to several conclusions:
1) replaced bumper?
2) been filled in a repainted?
3) could the original emblems have just been stick on type??
4) the SPI label he sent me a picture of is not original to the car?

Jasonzbtzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013   #2
Jasonzbtzl

Re: Emblens and how they were attached??

Also I wanted to add, when I asked about having no emblems, he said that was the way it was when he got it.
Old 06-28-2013   #3
86TA355SR

I would be very careful here. If there is any question of it being a legitimate GTA you would be better off looking for another car. You'll be happier later on knowing your car is a GTA for sure.

Why is the SPI not original to the car? Possibly he replaced the center console lid from another GTA...

Seats and fenders look correct for a GTA.

Is it just me or does it appear to be lowered?

GTAs had power antennas. This one doesn't. Not a big deal, just FYI. power antennas are common headaches with these cars and he probably just replaced it with a fixed one.

Why were all the badges removed? This would concern me for many reasons.

Just speculating here, but it appears that it has had some body work after an accident or something. The passenger headlight door isn't aligned with hood/fenders. An accident would explain the removal of emblems for paint/body work. What are the gaps like on the hood/fenders and doors?

Not sure about the nose emblem, someone else will have to answer that. I know the fender and sail panel birds used double sided trim tape from the factory.

Keep us posted. Good luck.

Last edited by 86TA355SR; 06-28-2013 at 12:39 PM.
86TA355SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013   #4
Jasonzbtzl

Quote:
Why is the SPI not original to the car? Possibly he replaced the center console lid from another GTA...
I was speculating this, the picture I posted in the OP, was what he sent me, but it looked kind of fishy, like it had been taken off and then re-stuck.
Old 06-28-2013   #5
rhomanski
The Born Loser

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

I got screwed with mine. I dropped it off at a shop to have mine replaced in the late nineties. I told them to be sure to move the sticker to the new lid. I stopped by a couple days later and saw my sticker on the counter, just waiting for the new console. When they called and said it was ready I went down and looked to see, first thing, and no sticker. The counter man said they lost it after taking it off. I wish I had grabbed it when I saw it. Luckily I still have the original window sticker and I wrote down every code on the sticker and I still have that sticky note.
Old 07-05-2013   #6
YumikoGTA
Original and Current GTA owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhomanski View Post
I got screwed with mine. I dropped it off at a shop to have mine replaced in the late nineties. I told them to be sure to move the sticker to the new lid. I stopped by a couple days later and saw my sticker on the counter, just waiting for the new console. When they called and said it was ready I went down and looked to see, first thing, and no sticker. The counter man said they lost it after taking it off. I wish I had grabbed it when I saw it. Luckily I still have the original window sticker and I wrote down every code on the sticker and I still have that sticky note.
I am sad to read about this issue that you had. I almost did something very stupid once with my GTA. When I replaced it the center console with a brand new one from GM, I did not take it out the code sticker. The next day as it was in the trash can getting ready to be picked up by the garbage truck, I looked at it to think of all of the happy times this console spent with me. At the very last minute, I noticed the sticker and I remember the dealership telling me that the information on this sticker is helpfull to know what replacement parts my GTA needs when something needs to be replaced. So at the last minute I took it off the sticker from the old center console and I put it in my scrap book. But it was many years later....about six or seven years when I discovered this forum and that was when I learned of how important this sticker is to verify if it is a GTA or not. Even though there could be other ways to find out, without that sticker will always leave some doubt by people who want to confirm if these cars are or are not real GTAs.

Yumiko
Old 07-07-2013   #7
Gottabekidding

I can go to the dealership with my VIN at the parts counter and they
will print me out a copy of the RPO codes.

I do not know if they can do this for an '88, but it is worth a try?
Gottabekidding is offline   Reply With Quote