Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 06-27-2013   #1
soarestransam19

Exclamation weathertech interior floor mats ????

has anybody ever put these mats in there gta i was wondering they look like they would help out alot with keeping the water from getting into the floor pan an rotting out the car since that was a common problem with the gm 3rd gen f body water cant escape from the front floor section i get these mats all the time come into work in customers cars look like they keep the water right on the mat an not absorb into the carpet an onto the metal of the floor take a look an everyone should get a set since they do look like nice an will hold up to the job they mats also have a awesome warranty 10 years from the purchase date http://www.weathertech.com/chevrolet...s-all-weather/
soarestransam19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013   #2
Gottabekidding

Re: weathertech interior floor mats ????

The problem with the floor pans corroding is 2 fold, neither one has to do with water from your feet.

To answer your question first, the weathertech floor mats are awesome.
they do keep water and such away from your pant leg and do keep that water from getting to your carpet.
Keep in mind you do have to empty these floor mats,
without spilling them onto the carpet. (A WetVac is so helpful at this)

The corroded floor pans are a combination of cracked seam sealer and/or a prolonged leak into the interior behind the carpet.

In later years (87 and up) GM rubber coated the backside of their carpet, which held the water away from the insulation pad underneath the carpet.
I have had several 3rd gens that i have emptied water from the back seat area and the floor pan has stayed dry.
If there is a tear in the carpet, then the water will get into the insulation.
The insulation acts as a sponge, and over a prolonged period of time will rust through the floor pan.
(ie: t-top leakage, heater core, clogged a/c evaporator drain, door hinges, etc.)
Once water can come into the interior from a rust hole in the floor, it keeps that sponge wet.
If you are from a northern state that salts it's road during the winter,
some of that salt will still remain on the roads in early spring, keeping that sponge wet with salt water.

The seam sealer or body caulk used on ALL 3rd gens will crack and break.
Our cars were not supposed to last this long, so GM had hoped.
Since this is used on all the seams of metal, that GM did not etch prime before spot welding, water will get into these areas and corrode.
There is a seam just to the left side of the front driver's side floor pan that has a tendandcy to corrode.
I have several pictures of 3rd gen rust prone areas, from several 3rd gens and their causes.

As I stated, The Weathertech floor mats are awesome, I was very pleased with the one's I had in a previous Jeep.
I hope you are happy with your purchase.
Gottabekidding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013   #3
soarestransam19

Exclamation Re: weathertech interior floor mats ????

Hhhhmmmmm very interesting knowledge i learned tonight about the floors just wished gm never poor designed them always took the cheap way out with the f body platform but yes i do plan on getting these mats ive already stripped and sand blasted my 88 to bare metal the por 15 the entire thing an added a couple coats of gun metal gray paint to help prevent rust hopefully that will hold it up to not rot next is to send it out to get the body panels back on an actually have the exterior of the car painted gun metal grey then put it all back together with the new hsr t56 combo i got for it
soarestransam19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013   #4
Gottabekidding

Re: weathertech interior floor mats ????

Sounds like more of a task than I would endeavor for now.
Once I finish up my "project(s)", eventually - maybe
after a psychological evaluation I might want to tackle
that in depth of a restoration.

Sounds like you are doin the right things for your GTA.

U.S. car manufacturer's used to build a sturdy car. You can still
see that today when 50+ year old cars are being restored.
Since the early eighties - more plastics, less usage seems to be
an engineering standard. You are supposed t buy a new to replace
the old cars. Newer cars have too much electronics for my taste,
which in time will be the death of the new cars of today.
Gottabekidding is offline   Reply With Quote