Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA NON-TECH

GTA NON-TECH Got a question about non-mechanical items related to your GTA.... whatever they may be? Then post it HERE!

Old 04-02-2013   #1
tn-gta-girl

Emblem corrosion

I have a 1989 GTA that I purchased new. It has always been garaged. I rarely drive it -- the mileage is in the 40 thousands. All the emblems have corroded and are green around the edges. Any ideas as to how to remove the corrosion without damaging the paint?
tn-gta-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013   #2
86TA355SR

Re: Emblem corrosion

How bad are they?

Can you post a picture of them?
86TA355SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013   #3
tn-gta-girl

Tried to take pix in the garage, but there wasn't enough light. The weather is supposed to clear up this weekend. Will take some more pix and send them to you when I'm able to get the car out in the sunshine.
tn-gta-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013   #4
DD9TransAmGTA
Fireturd GTA owner

GTA Year: 1987
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

The corrosion probably looks like that stuff on pennys as they age(greenish/white color), thats what happened to my old emblems.

1988 Firebird Formula - C&C T-TOP car, black with grey interior, was a 305 tbi now a 350 tbi, and waiting on a ZZ383 stroker
DD9TransAmGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013   #5
86TA355SR

Here's what I've done in the past. I am sure others have their way, but this is what I have done.

If they are heavily corroded: use paper as a template to mark the location. Masking tape will hold the template into position during this. Shade the emblem through the paper with the side of a pencil and a known body line, such as wheel arch/fender. Carefully remove the template you just made. Mask as close to the emblem as possible with more tape. Use a plastic (squeegee or soft scraper) and a hair driver to help remove the emblem. Use common sense here and don't overheat the emblem or burn the paint. Get some heavy cut cleaner, good parts stores or auto body shops usually have it. Using a terry cloth, I rub the emblem with the cleaner until corrosion is gone. Follow up with a lighter compound, then wax. Clean off old emblem adhesive from the car. Cut out the template using the lines you created on the workbench. I prefer a straight edge and razor. Reinstall the template aligning the marks you made on the wheel arch/fender. If you did it right, you should see where the emblem was at prior. Clean off old adhesive from emblem. Use some good double sided body molding tape from an auto body supply store. I prefer 3M. Expensive but worth it. Cut pieces to fit the emblem. Put emblem back on car using the hole in template pattern.

Light corrosion: medium cut cleaner or clay while emblem is on car.

If they are pitted or badly corroded, you can replace them. $ though...

If you have trouble, let me know. I'll post a picture of the template. Like I said, this is my method. I am sure someone else has a method also. Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

Last edited by 86TA355SR; 04-04-2013 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Here is a link: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/4011432/1989-pontiac-trans-am/
86TA355SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013   #6
TTOP350

I have a set of GTA emblems and they were nasty looking until i used some 00 steelwool (very fine grit) to them. They look great now!! No scratching just shiny!
TTOP350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013   #7
YumikoGTA
Original and Current GTA owner

Your garage must be bad with moisture if this is causing your GTA emblems to deteriorate like you have mention. My GTA was in rain and never parked in garage for the first eleven years that I had it and my emblems never did what you are saying is happening to yours.

I would say that it could be that the gold colored finish of the emblems was worn off from washing and waxing. After the gold colored finish wears off, the meterials are now exposed to the weather and climate elements, and with your emblems, it then started to deteriorate as you have described. I do not know how to prevent this from happening or to correct it. This is why I have never put back on emblems to my GTA except for nose emblem since it is used emblem. I purchased a few new sets of GTA emblems from the GM Dealership many years ago when they were still available. They are still in the boxes and every once in a while I will take them out to look at them and they have not ever started to deteriorate.

I think what happens is like what I mention in the beginning, that the gold colored finish wears off from washing and waxing and then the metal is exposed and started to deteriorate quickly. So....if you do clean them like some owners have suggested, I would seriously consider it to put on some type of clear finish so they do not get damaged again from the exposure to the weather and climate elements.

Good luck,

Yumiko