Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 04-17-2013   #41
strc09
Displaced Texan living in NC

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: Custom
Re: Our wheels in bigger sizes, who's interested?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badGTA View Post
BMW rims were what GM was copying at the time when they made the GTA they wanted the euro flair with the paddle (BMW) style mirrors too. thats why the GTA is not my favorite. it was a F body trying to be something it was not, a BMW.
Unfortunately in the end they became more and more like BMW with the names of their cars. A sad day when Pontiac abandoned the names that defined the company and died. Those of us that love these cars...all makes and models of the Firebird...as well as all Pontiac cars are what keep it alive.

GTA: Grand Turismo Americano (Grand Touring America)
1 of 930 1988 Gunmetal Metallic GTAs produced (RPO 87U)
Built by Zeus Performance and tuned by Alvin from PCM4Less
Check out my website: Night Vision GraFX
strc09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013   #42
carlos66212

Quote:
BMW rims were what GM was copying at the time when they made the GTA they wanted the euro flair with the paddle (BMW) style mirrors too. thats why the GTA is not my favorite. it was a F body trying to be something it was not, a BMW.
Soooooo I guess GM was copying BMW or whoever else when they started using 5-star wheels on the Trans Am and many other cars...
carlos66212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013   #43
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos66212 View Post
Soooooo I guess GM was copying BMW or whoever else when they started using 5-star wheels on the Trans Am and many other cars...
GTAs never came with 5 stars...only the firehawk which was not a factory spec GTA. I am only speaking of GTAs. thats why they came up with the euro name due to a italian designer...

http://www.gtasourcepage.com/newdevelopment.html

"We showed the car to a noted designer at GM Design Staff, and he loved it. He thought we should get as much differentiation from the standard Trans Am and he suggested we eliminate the side fender extractors, add the export 'paddle' outside rearview mirrors, and some cloisonné emblems. I remember his exact words, "only jewelry for this car....". This particular designer was of Italian heritage and instead of 'Blackbird'.... he wanted to call it 'GTA' for Gran Turismo Americano'."

the crosslaces were used due to weight but fit in with the euro style mirrors that were used on BMWs and almost all eruo cars

then GM was also trying to compete with BMW on the Bonneville...wonder what kind of rims they used..

Just sayin
Old 04-20-2013   #44
YumikoGTA
Original and Current GTA owner

Pontiac copying BMW? I do not see even the most slightest resemblance. Just because of the style or color of the rims?

Yumiko
Old 04-20-2013   #45
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5

bbs rims were the rage on BMWs and same with our cars. paddle mirrors too anyway sad that you don't get it
Old 04-21-2013   #46
prokilllsx

I don't care about the origin of the style of wheels. They look great on the car and the GTA honeycombs look better than bmw's. Paddle mirrors, not so much imho.
prokilllsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013   #47
YumikoGTA
Original and Current GTA owner

Quote:
bbs rims were the rage on BMWs and same with our cars. paddle mirrors too anyway sad that you don't get it
You do not have to be sorry. If you can recall, these BBS rims that you are mentioning were not the "rage" in 1987 when the 1987 GTA was produced. As I remember, the BBS gold rims were most popular starting in the early 1990s. And these gold colored BBS rims were being put on the BMWs by private owners as a modification at that time, not from the BMW factory that way.

I never remember seeing these gold style rims at all in 1987 and that is one thing of many that attracted me to decide to purchase my GTA, because I did not ever see this style of rims at that time except on GTA. Even the earlier 1970s Trans Ams had the gold rims that sort of looked like the GTA gold rims. So it is not correct that GTA was copying BBS rims on bMWs.

I googled 1987 BMW and you can look and try to see how much or not much 1987 BMWs looked like GTAs. Look at all the photographs of the various BMWs of 1987, which one looks like a GTA or a GTA looks like one of them:

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q...w&ved=0CBgQsAQ

And about the paddle mirrors, there were only rougly 200 GTAs that ever had these and that was just the very first GTAs in 1987. If Pontiac was trying to copy BMW and if you think the GTA looks so much like the BMW, well then you should be happy that Pontiac could design the GTA that looks so much like a BMW that they sell the cheapest model at least twice the price of the GTA.

Yumiko

Last edited by YumikoGTA; 05-04-2013 at 08:59 PM.
YumikoGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013   #48
strc09
Displaced Texan living in NC

I do agree that the gold BBS style wheels look best on our cars. It would be nice if they were offered in larger sizes without paying an arm and a leg for them as I'm sure those custom wheels on the Grand National pictured above cost. Had I known about that company when I went to order my wheels I may have ordered from them instead, but I do really like my new wheels because there isn't another Firebird (even GTA) or Camaro in town that has anything like them and that was important to me to set my car apart from the Torq Thrust and Corvette wheels that adorn a lot of F-Bodies.

Our cars do have some European styling cues of the day when the body was re-designed in 1982. The steep rake of the windshield, the aerodynamics design, and the flip-up headlights were all common to the high-end European sports cars of the day. Even the paddle mirrors that adorn the European export (and some domestic) F-Bodies because they had to be able to folded in while the car was parked because I believe there was a law that governed it somewhere or becuase of how narrow the streets are in some Europenan towns/cities. The wheels specifically may not have been "all the rage" in the 1980's, but the design cues were. Even though John DeLorean had been long gone from GM when the GenIII Firebirds were designed his thoughts and ideas about European design carried over from the comments he made during the GenII design process.

While European cars have their own beauty, the lines of the GenIII Firebird is what has my heart. Pontiac did an excellent job designing the car with some of the hottest looks to come out of the 1980's. They did such a great job that when I was seven (1982) and saw the newly re-designed Trans Am going down the road I knew right then and there that is the car I wanted to own when I was old enough to drive. After many Firebirds coming and going from my life, I have that car in the form of my GTA sitting in my garage now. Even after all of the upgrades and modifications it still may not be as fast as some European cars, but it does look and sound good going down the road.

GTA: Grand Turismo Americano (Grand Touring America)
1 of 930 1988 Gunmetal Metallic GTAs produced (RPO 87U)
Built by Zeus Performance and tuned by Alvin from PCM4Less
Check out my website: Night Vision GraFX
strc09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013   #49
esperi

Didn't want to start a new thread, so adding to this: Here is my finished product: More pix in my album just posted. The wheels are sick. Very "Polly" looking.

See my previous posts for specs of my wheels. Most Beemer wheels are +35 , so the means a 2" bolted adapter on front and a 1" on rear will fit them perfectly. My rims are +13 front, +15 rear. (25.4 offset= 1", ) Contact me for details if you are using BMW rims.
esperi is offline   Reply With Quote