Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA NON-TECH

GTA NON-TECH Got a question about non-mechanical items related to your GTA.... whatever they may be? Then post it HERE!

Old 11-08-2012   #1
WickdEye
WickdEye

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Exclamation Trans Am GTA FireFox

Hey guys i found a guy who has a 89 Pontac Trans Am GTA FireFox which is themost powerful GTA built!!! I was so happy and surprised to see one in person it was definitly a GTA but I didnt know what to look for to determine if it was a real FireFox GTA, hes a 52yr old guy who showed me all the factory upgrades the FireFox came with and I defintly could tell like a old skool looking Brembo Brake System and a 6-Speed manual transmission ive never seen at all, GTAs have only the 5-speed manual tranny!!! Have you guys seen a FireFox GTA???

1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA
Simon
5.7 V8 350 TPI
Auto 700R4
9 Bolt Borg Warner
Royal Purple Oils ONLY!!

Last edited by WickdEye; 11-08-2012 at 11:37 AM.
WickdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012   #2
Fourthkid

Re: Trans Am GTA FireFox

sorry-no such GM factory vehicle. Why do you get excited about a dealer upgrade?
Fourthkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012   #3
89JerseyGTA

Can read about it here, mystery ?? Appearantly just a demo/prototype model, and then destroyed.

http://www.gtasourcepage.com/89firefoxeditorial

Frankie Rider posted this 2001 on third gen ....

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/hi...c-firefox.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 89FirefoxBurnout.jpg (41.5 KB, 23 views)
89JerseyGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012   #4
YumikoGTA
Original and Current GTA owner

I am surprised. I have always thought that this type of Pontiac was produced at some time. I am not sure that a Firefox is also a GTA. Perhaps a Firefox was never a GTA with GTA emblems. So if they say it is a Firefox GTA then that would not ever have existed.

Maybe I am not correct, but I thought that I had read somewhere on the internet before that this Firefox Pontiac had the same option code as the Camaros that were built to be police cars. If I recall correctly the special option for this would be larger disc brakes, a different drive shaft maybe, better suspension and different transmissions. I am not for sure about these things, but it just seems I can remember reading about something like this in the past before.

Yumiko
Old 11-10-2012   #5
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

The black car pictured above is the only Firefox GTA built. Built in conjunction with PAS, it was destroyed after testing as it was an experimental vehicle and not able to be certified for on-road operation.

There was a successor to the Firefox GTA developed on the 91-92 body style that was green, and then there was the accompanying blue twin-turbo T/A as well. Last I knew GM still had the blue car but the green one was demolished.

When I get the Road Tests section back up on The Source Page, you will be able to read about the cars there.

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012   #6
Mongoose
Future GTA Owner

If memory serves the blue car was sold at Barrett-Jackson a few years ago when GM was cleaning out some of their concept cars. Firefox 2 also had a Corvette IRS and 6 speed tranny as well.
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012   #7
merc3065

It's a firefox clone if anything.

All of those parts/upgrades are available from aftermarket sources. Costs a pretty penny to buy and install these extras.