Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA MISC

GTA MISC What you're looking to find out about your GTA doesn't fit in the above categories? Then post your topic HERE!

Old 10-17-2012   #1
Louvers

Found a Rare Bird

Hey everyone. I haven't been around here in a long time since I sold my '88 last year. I stumbled onto a '92 for sale on Ebay and I decided to go ahead and bid on it. Long and short, I won the bid and just brought the car home today.

It needs some TLC but overall it's it very nice condition. 53,000 miles and a documented one owner car. I don't know how long I will keep it but for now it has satisfied my itch to pick up another GTA.

Louvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012   #2
DD9TransAmGTA
Fireturd GTA owner

GTA Year: 1987
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: Found a Rare Bird

Did you see your old GTA on TV??? I think it was on auction kings

1988 Firebird Formula - C&C T-TOP car, black with grey interior, was a 305 tbi now a 350 tbi, and waiting on a ZZ383 stroker
DD9TransAmGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012   #3
Louvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD9TransAmGTA View Post
Did you see your old GTA on TV??? I think it was on auction kings
No. I didn't see it but I heard about it. I sold that car quickly and cheap. I'm sure the new owner is enjoying it thoroughly. To be honest, the black bird with the t-tops is my favorite. I like the hardtop too, but I'm missing the open tops.
Old 10-17-2012   #4
Louvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1988_GTA View Post
Nice looking car, I hope it brings you a lot of joy.
Thanks! I'm sure that it will.
Old 10-17-2012   #5
SeanO23

GTA Year: 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louvers View Post
No. I didn't see it but I heard about it. I sold that car quickly and cheap. I'm sure the new owner is enjoying it thoroughly. To be honest, the black bird with the t-tops is my favorite. I like the hardtop too, but I'm missing the open tops.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w4Z7...4&feature=plcp I took the liberty of editing the episode to have just your car on it. it's gorgeous.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Seans-...14128911992060
SeanO23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012   #6
Louvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanO23 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w4Z7...4&feature=plcp I took the liberty of editing the episode to have just your car on it. it's gorgeous.
That's extremely cool. Man do these cars look great on film or what? I can't believe they didn't use GTA's in a lot of movies. My car showed well but it did need some restoration to make it perfect. I loved the guys excuse of why I sold it to him. It was a complete fabrication but it did sound good. The truth is I sold it because I was getting a divorce and moving out of state with no where to keep it. I am glad that he got $6500 for it. I did put in about 12k total into it along with a lot of Love and Care so the the buyer did very well.
Old 10-17-2012   #7
BadAzzGta89
Project Bad Azz on the way!!!

Looks great!
When do the mods start?

"Gran Turismo Americano"

BadAzzGta89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012   #8
YumikoGTA
Original and Current GTA owner

Quote:
That's extremely cool. Man do these cars look great on film or what? I can't believe they didn't use GTA's in a lot of movies. My car showed well but it did need some restoration to make it perfect. I loved the guys excuse of why I sold it to him. It was a complete fabrication but it did sound good. The truth is I sold it because I was getting a divorce and moving out of state with no where to keep it. I am glad that he got $6500 for it. I did put in about 12k total into it along with a lot of Love and Care so the the buyer did very well.
Wow, sorry to hear that you were getting a divorce So how did you know that this car on the tv show was your car? Did you sell it to anyone that was in that video? It seems that when it is sold at one of those type of shows, it is a rushed transaction and the buyers do not have time to think about it. The one thing that the guy says in the video is that the engine is exactly the same Corvette engine, which that is not exactly accurate as I know it to be.

My best advice to selling is, start to sell it before you really need to sell it or start to sell when you still do not want to sell it. So this way you are not waiting for the last minute when you are in a situation where you have to sell it and you are in a rush to sell it. If I think about a deadline to sell my GTA, I would say that I would like to have it sold by the year 2025

Yumiko
Old 10-20-2012   #9
FearThisGTA
"The only thing to fear is.............fear itself"

GTA Year: 1991

Welcome back!! Sorry to hear about the divorce, btw REALLY like the new bird!

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
on the original motor!!!!
Time of Death on motor, 4:07pm on 05/29/2010.
Hp:211.2@4200rpms/Tq.328.5@2700rpms
Best et: 13.959@97.05mph
Best mph: 98.3
Best 60' : 1.875 on BFG Comp TA's w/ 32 lbs of air in them
FearThisGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012   #10
87bucketgta
BACKDOOR STRANGER

Only thing I see wrong with the car is not enough pics!!! Great to see you back again!!!!!!!!!!!
87bucketgta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012   #11
Louvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87bucketgta View Post
Only thing I see wrong with the car is not enough pics!!! Great to see you back again!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey there. It's good to see some familiar faces are still around. I will definitely post more pictures when I get a chance. I started detailing it this week and it's coming out beautiful. There are a couple of small dings on the driver side door that I will need to have taken out but otherwise the car is near perfect. I wasn't sure how much I would like the '92 style versus my '88 but I'm really loving it. The lines on this car are just striking to me. I plan to take it out for a cruise on the Blue Ridge Parkway tomorrow so I'll try to get some pictures then and post them up next week.

Last edited by Louvers; 10-21-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-21-2012   #12
Louvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearThisGTA View Post
Welcome back!! Sorry to hear about the divorce, btw REALLY like the new bird!
Hey Cliff. No worries on the divorce. It was the greatest gift of my life. I have an entirely new life now and things could not be better. I figured that you would like the '92. Did you ever get yours back on the road?
Old 10-21-2012   #13
Louvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by YumikoGTA View Post
Wow, sorry to hear that you were getting a divorce So how did you know that this car on the tv show was your car? Did you sell it to anyone that was in that video? It seems that when it is sold at one of those type of shows, it is a rushed transaction and the buyers do not have time to think about it. The one thing that the guy says in the video is that the engine is exactly the same Corvette engine, which that is not exactly accurate as I know it to be.

My best advice to selling is, start to sell it before you really need to sell it or start to sell when you still do not want to sell it. So this way you are not waiting for the last minute when you are in a situation where you have to sell it and you are in a rush to sell it. If I think about a deadline to sell my GTA, I would say that I would like to have it sold by the year 2025

Yumiko
As I mentioned to Cliff below, the divorce was a gift and I couldn't be happier. As for the show, I heard about it from a friend and I just knew that it was my car because I could sense that it was. I had never seen the auction clip until it was posted here. The guy that brought it to the auction is the guy I sold it to. He owns a small dealership a few blocks from where I used to have my business in North Atlanta. I knew that he would turn the car for a profit, I just didn't have time to deal with a bunch of tire kickers in the hopes to get a few more bucks by listing it. I got what was fair based on the current market for these cars and let the car move on for someone else to enjoy.
Old 10-22-2012   #14
FearThisGTA

Quote:
Hey Cliff. No worries on the divorce. It was the greatest gift of my life. I have an entirely new life now and things could not be better. I figured that you would like the '92. Did you ever get yours back on the road?
No, not yet. :'( I have had a lot of stuff going on that has prevented me from getting the car back on the road. Hopefully, I can get it back on the road next year. That is, I hope and PRAY.

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
Old 10-22-2012   #15
prokilllsx

a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. Wise men wind up the better for it. Nice car op! Congrats on the new girl and getting rid of the old one. lol
prokilllsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012   #16
GTABill

Great find!! Always good to see another good clean 91-92 style GTA.

1991 Bright Red GTA...1st place Light Modified Class 2009 & 2014 TA Nationals
41,xxx original miles as of 4/18
GTABill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012   #17
Louvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTABill View Post
Great find!! Always good to see another good clean 91-92 style GTA.
The 91 - 92's are definitely a rare site. I've only seen two others on the road in the past 8 years. I do have a question for you or Cliff since you have 91's. When I turn just the parking lights on, the headlamps still come up. It seems to me there may be a short in the switch to cause this? I'm sure that it's not normal. Any thoughts?
Old 10-23-2012   #18
Louvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokilllsx View Post
Nice car op!
Thanks!
Old 10-24-2012   #19
FearThisGTA

Quote:
The 91 - 92's are definitely a rare site. I've only seen two others on the road in the past 8 years. I do have a question for you or Cliff since you have 91's. When I turn just the parking lights on, the headlamps still come up. It seems to me there may be a short in the switch to cause this? I'm sure that it's not normal. Any thoughts?
Apparently it must be, lol. You can try replacing the headlight switch and see if that fixes it. The other issue you will eventually face is the headlights not popping up at all. It has happened on my car on more occasions than I can count. Shortly before the motor started squeaking, it happened more frequently. Upon further research(,(I think there is even a post somewhere on this site) I discovered that it was a headlight module located behind brake booster(I think). I was never abel to replace it because the motor went south first, lol. I will say that if it is that module, then be prepared to shell out a few pennies. I priced it somewhere around 160+ at that time. Hth

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles

Last edited by FearThisGTA; 10-24-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-24-2012   #20
GTABill

Quote:
I've had that happen before but it's usually because I've gotten a fat finger and it glances the headlight switch. I end up turning off everything and just pushing the parking light switch. You might have a short in the switch if you are getting both on all the time.

1991 Bright Red GTA...1st place Light Modified Class 2009 & 2014 TA Nationals
41,xxx original miles as of 4/18
GTABill is offline   Reply With Quote