Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH

GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH Want to ask about your GTA's documentation, build codes, or other historical data? Then post it HERE!

Old 08-23-2012   #1
thaemcee2

my 89 GTA has wrong SPI code

I recently bought a 89 GTA, and had to go through the process of contacting Allied Vaughn/GM Media Archives to get a dealer invoice sheet to prove it was a real GTA. I had to do this because the SPI label in the console was off an 89 Camaro! Different Vin and everything... Not sure how this could have happened; I imagine at the factory? I bought the car from the daughter of the original owner, so it has stayed in the same family. Clean title and carfax of course, so it is wierd how this could have came! If anything it is an interesting story to tell...
thaemcee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012   #2
Steveh4263
1987 Pontiac Trans AM GTA

GTA Year: 1987
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: my 89 GTA has wrong SPI code

Maybe the console got changed? I'd like to see a photo of the console. Doesn't make sense why it would have a Camaro SPI label.
Old 08-25-2012   #3
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

GTA Year: 1988

Could be a console deal...could be legit. I am fairly certain the cars were built on the same line. I remember the story of a writer from C&D who got permission from Pontiac to follow his new Firebird S/E through the plant...only to see it roll off the line with a steering wheel from a 1984 15th Anniversary Trans Am in it. His car had been squeezed in line in front of the 15th to accommodate the article but the production system was not updated to reflect the change.

So anything was possible I guess...

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012   #4
Wes

I remember a C&D test of a late 80's Oldsmobile 88. If you remember, the badges on those cars spelled out the number 88 in script. On the car that GM provided to C&D, the badging on the trunk read "Eight Eighty"

Quality control back then was not a GM stong point.
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012   #5
YumikoGTA
Original and Current GTA owner

I just can not believe that they could make such a big stupid mistake at an assembly plant. I would say that someone changed the original center consule with one from a Camaro. Like someone else mentioned, do you have a photograph of the console in your GTA with the Camaro sticker in it and also a photograph of the sticker itself? I have never seen a Camaro sticker before and would like to see what they look like.

I would be super upset if this happened to my GTA. Because without the original sticker, all the options that your car was built with from the factory is hearsay.

Yumiko
Old 08-26-2012   #6
thaemcee2

Yeah I am not sure what happened. Either switched the consoles at the factory or somehow received wrong SPI code, maybe even someone was trying to squeeze out a special car or something.... Or the lady I bought it from whose father was the original owner, lied to me....i dont know why someone would lie about that though..Her family was military and the car shows that her story is true and it was indeed always garaged!

Either way, the car IS LEGIT, as stated I got the car's original build sheet from pontiac in michigan, which is ran from THE VIN # of the car... the car is a GTA. I also have a replica window sticker being sent out from PHS. I wish there was way to find out what exactly happened, but either way, I love the car!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GTA SPI.jpg (116.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg GTA invoice222.jpg (293.5 KB, 31 views)
Old 08-26-2012   #7
YumikoGTA

I would say the most probable thing that happened is that the owner replaced the center console to make it look nice for when they sell it. Mistakes were made at the factory but this would be too much. Also did they even build Pontiac Trans Ams in the same assembly plant as they do Chevy Camaros?

Do you have a photograph of the center consule? I am sure that the ones in Camaros are different looking than the ones in the Trans Ams.

Yumiko
Old 08-26-2012   #8
Steveh4263

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaemcee2 View Post
Yeah I am not sure what happened. Either switched the consoles at the factory or somehow received wrong SPI code, maybe even someone was trying to squeeze out a special car or something.... Or the lady I bought it from whose father was the original owner, lied to me....i dont know why someone would lie about that though..Her family was military and the car shows that her story is true and it was indeed always garaged!

Either way, the car IS LEGIT, as stated I got the car's original build sheet from pontiac in michigan, which is ran from THE VIN # of the car... the car is a GTA. I also have a replica window sticker being sent out from PHS. I wish there was way to find out what exactly happened, but either way, I love the car!
Do you have a photo of the console?
Old 08-26-2012   #9
thaemcee2

here are the only photos I have with the console in it. I am not near the car to take better shots but this should be good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GTA Int Angle R.jpg (81.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg GTA Tex R Int.jpg (305.3 KB, 37 views)
Old 08-26-2012   #10
TTOP350

A camaro console and a bird consle are not even close to the same.
TTOP350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #11
thaemcee2

yeah, camaro consoles are different...mine looks nothing like a camaro iroc Z at least...I like the GTAs console way better its more sleek
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1989-Chevrolet-Camaro-Iroc-Z-006.jpg (953.1 KB, 25 views)
Old 08-26-2012   #12
YumikoGTA

Obviously from the two photographs, your car has the correct Trans Am center console. Unsure why the Camaro sticker is in the Trans Am though. How can you tell that it is a Camaro sticker?

Yumiko
Old 08-27-2012   #13
Steveh4263

Quote:
Originally Posted by YumikoGTA View Post
Obviously from the two photographs, your car has the correct Trans Am center console. Unsure why the Camaro sticker is in the Trans Am though. How can you tell that it is a Camaro sticker?

Yumiko
I didn't see the Y84 on the SPI label. That other document says it is a GTA. Strange the SPI doesn't have the Y84.

Last edited by Steveh4263; 08-27-2012 at 02:27 AM.
Steveh4263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012   #14
TTOP350

The VIN is also on the RPO code.
TTOP350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012   #15
thaemcee2

Guys, again, the SPI label is off of a 1989 Camaro. I know this because I did a carfax on the vin # from the SPI label...

It must have been a factory thing or something, cause its def. a trans am console.
Old 08-27-2012   #16
YumikoGTA

So that is how you know it came from a Camaro. I see. I knew the sticker was incorrect because you mentioned it and also the vin does not seem to even be close to what is for a Pontiac. I just was curious how you were able to determine exactly what car it was supposed to be for.

Yumiko
Old 12-07-2012   #17
7d4gto

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaemcee2 View Post

i work in a car plant in north east ohio and have seen stranger things happen im gonna say that the line worker in the plant put the wrong sticker in the center armrest . sad to say but to many its just a job . i would consider your car a factory 'freak' it is now one of one until some one else notices the same in their GTA. you have your papers from pontiac and can prove what it is . the decal is a great story to tell...
7d4gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012   #18
BadAzzGta89
Project Bad Azz on the way!!!

Arm rest storage was changed out..

"Gran Turismo Americano"

BadAzzGta89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013   #19
Jasonzbtzl

It would be something else to be able to find the Camaro that has your SPI sticker in it, if one exists. That would be a story of all stories....
More likely the mistake was found out in the factory and your GTA's SPI sticker was disposed of before the worker that did could be found out.
Jasonzbtzl is offline   Reply With Quote