Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA MISC

GTA MISC What you're looking to find out about your GTA doesn't fit in the above categories? Then post your topic HERE!

Old 08-09-2012   #1
the Uub

Aloha!

I have been a 3rd Gen fan since I was a kid watching the KITT Car on TV. I've had a 79 Firebird Espirit with the Olds 301, an 80 Camaro Berlinetta with a 355 and corvette heads. ( I was 19 so I thought that was the coolest). I didn't know much about cars but with wider rims, the Camaro would chirp even third gear. Had a ratchet shifter from B&M, I fell in love. A couple months ago, I bought an 88 GTA. Minor interior issues, (cracked dash, missing center console cover, headliner issues), but mechanically it was well taken care of. It still has the Borg Warner 9 bolt rear with 3.27's, the fluid in there is full of metal. The 700r4 feels tight, but needs upgrading/replacement. The torque converter is stock, and lockup is iffy at best, sometimes early sometimes late. The engine is original tpi 350 with 155k miles on it, with an intermittent driveability/idle issue. So far I have replaced the mass air flow sensor and taken care of half of the running problem. I have also replaced the front brake lines to the calipers from the proportioning valve because of rust, the rear having already been done.
Enough with the cons, the pros of this car heavily outweigh any shortcomings. This is my first time behind the wheel of a WS6 car and it is a joy to drive. I really enjoy the quick ratio steering and the responsiveness of the suspension to my steering input. Having had the car on the road for 2 months, I only ever pushed its handling capabilities to the limits once, and even then it was fairly forgiving. I know the damn thing is faster than my truck, but the suspension just handles it so well that it seems slower. I could go on forever about the handling attributes. Lets just say that for the first time in a while I'm taking the long way to get to where I need to go just to spend more time in the car. I really enjoy it and if I can help it, I'll never let go of it.
the Uub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012   #2
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5

Re: Aloha!

Just one thing to be aware of.. these cars are no too forgiving when you push them. they will get a bit wild. I dont want you to wreck it not knowing that. they will completely lose it (depending on tire etc). I have never got out of control but you may want to read this thread!
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/th...ur-holy-t.html