Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 05-08-2012   #1
groingo

1990 GTA fuel problems FIXED

Well, after spending Bukoo bucks on three mechanics who could never solve the problem I decided I could do no worse and dove in focusing on the fuel pump.

Readings showed only 25 pounds at the rail and at the fuel filter so I read up and got out the air sheet metal shears and had at it.

What a shock when things simply were not as they were on everything I had read and viewed all but one, a poster from here no less, but I found that only after.

Long story short, when I pulled the fuel pump and sender I found some obvious problems, one a cracked brass cover on the vacuum thingy and two (a BIGGY) NO Clamps on the fuel to pump line and the original Carter fuel pump!

I repaired the crack with an old friend "Hot Fuel Proof Epoxy and let set 24 hours" and installed a new line WITH CLAMPS, re-installed (only 20 minutes) and took it for a test drive.

Cutting the fuel line bundle was very tight so I put a cut pad under the lines and used a fine toothed hacksaw with the blade dipped in grease to keep it cool and contain any filings....it worked great since I didn't manage to blow myself up!

Several differences in my hatch, I used high pressure hose and clamps on everything, under the hoses I put a cut pad of 16 gauge steel (just in case clamps shifted), two ties on the line bundles (again to prevent shifting and pulling), a full rubber bladder seal under the hatch cover and stainless steel screws.

The difference is like day and night, smooth and tons of power....problem solved and if it ever comes back I can now change out the pump in 30 minutes!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg access-vert.jpg (127.1 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by groingo; 05-08-2012 at 01:58 PM.
groingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012   #2
merc3065

Re: 1990 GTA fuel problems FIXED

Well done sir, looks like a clean job too. Like the other poster, you may want to add a few more screws just to ensure a good seal on the gasket to prevent any unwanted deadly fumes from getting into the car from there.
Old 05-08-2012   #3
groingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc3065 View Post
Well done sir, looks like a clean job too. Like the other poster, you may want to add a few more screws just to ensure a good seal on the gasket to prevent any unwanted deadly fumes from getting into the car from there.
The black bladder is what does the sealing, it's glued in place then the metal cover goes on top as a protective cover.

It's amazing how much smoother over all the car drives, it's a different
Beasty!
Old 05-09-2012   #4
YumikoGTA
Original and Current GTA owner

Glad to see that you were able to do it without getting blown up or having the car on fire. I never thought about the fumes issue before so yes you should be careful about the carbon monoxide threat. If you start to get headaches and feel tired while driving around, then you may be suffering from that.

The only thing now to watch for is how the hose materials are after some time. Doing this may require that those hose links to be replaced on some type of regular schedule since rubber does not last as long as the metal tubes.

Yumiko
Old 05-09-2012   #5
groingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by YumikoGTA View Post
Glad to see that you were able to do it without getting blown up or having the car on fire. I never thought about the fumes issue before so yes you should be careful about the carbon monoxide threat. If you start to get headaches and feel tired while driving around, then you may be suffering from that.

The only thing now to watch for is how the hose materials are after some time. Doing this may require that those hose links to be replaced on some type of regular schedule since rubber does not last as long as the metal tubes.

Yumiko
Having been a custom car builder for 27 years I was a bit shocked seeing so many YouTube videos where they were using grinding wheels with sparks flying, I was amazed nobody had blow themselves up or set their interior on fire so I made sure it wasn't going to be me.....could really ruin a persons day!

The fuel lines I agree will be checked and the information passed on to the next owner as well.