Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA MISC

GTA MISC What you're looking to find out about your GTA doesn't fit in the above categories? Then post your topic HERE!

Old 01-02-2012   #1
red88tagta

Are the parts drying up or the buyers?

I noticed when I was seeking interior parts for my car in 2007 there was an abundance of them at my favorite boneyard, since closed up for car parts buyers.
For a year thereafter parts would sell very quickly just about every where and the people looking for parts were numerious.
Now there are very few people looking to buy parts or to sell parts (They look on the want to buy list and go scavange the boneyards to find said part)
Does that mean that there are so few of the GTA's left???
red88tagta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012   #2
YumikoGTA
Original and Current GTA owner

Re: Are the parts drying up or the buyers?

I think this is because everyone who have Pontiacs are buying the parts so they can restore their cars. Also many of these parts do not last forever so they need to be replaced to look new or work properly like new. Also since Pontiac is no longer in business, and since the GTAs and the other Pontiac models of the 1980s are now at least twenty five years old, these cars are now being restored by more people, which means that more people are looking for parts to restore their Pontiacs.

In the 1990 until about 2000 there was a wrecking yard in my area that had many of these cars I remember during those years that anytime I went there, they would have between one and three real GTAs at the same time and they were not the cloned ones. Once the wrecking yard set up their site on the internet, the cars and the parts were sold very quickly to people from everywhere in the world. I went to this wrecking yard about a month ago and they do not have hardly anything from the years that the GTAs were produced. They only have the fourth generation Pontiacs now, and not too many of them.

Another thing that could be happening is people are purchasing any type of parts that belong on the Pontiacs and then sell the parts for a higher price to make a profit. And the longer that they have the parts, the more money people will be willing to pay to buy the parts for their restoration projects.

Yumiko
Old 01-02-2012   #3
Fred91GTA
"Firehawk" GTA owner

Pretty much sums it up. I had to use a less than perfect 5-speed shift plate when I converted my GTA from automatic to 6-speed. Some parts are so rare that the asking prices for them are becoming rediculous. Heck, just the center console cover is going for $200!

1991 Trans Am GTA... Hopefully again
Fred91GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012   #4
akanitro
Finally Found It. After a year of looking. The GTA is Mine.

I just hope that companies like Classic Industries and Ecklers starts aquiring inventory for our cars. One other advantage to the shortages and Pontiac's no longer existence is the hopeful anticipation that the value of our cars will start to increase. I'd love to see these beautiful machines show up on auction blocks like Mecum's and Barrett Jackson bringing in the big bucks.
akanitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012   #5
90 L98 TransAm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred91GTA View Post
.......Some parts are so rare that the asking prices for them are becoming rediculous. Heck, just the center console cover is going for $200!
Nice to hear - i've got a brand new one in the box!!
90 L98 TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012   #6
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

Indeed. I've got a couple of these and the matching shift plates as well...

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012   #7
GTA50

Part of the problem is the perception these cars have in the general mind (think of that certain male hairdo of the '80's). Also, if you look at the TGO websites and the lament over the lack of cheap parts and/or the suggestion of cheap fixes, that sums up the problem.

The aftermarket manufacturers are not going to support a "Walmart mentality" for parts when the cost of molds, licensing, etc. demands a higher price. The result at current, the aftermarket parts suck on quality, fit and price.

So, the alternatives? Keep in mind that many of the GTA standard parts were options on Trans Ams. Search the wrecking yards. I have a set of beautiful door panels and a killer original urethane wing that I got from an '87 T/A. Miscellaneous fasteners, etc. can be found from any Firebird, Camaro, etc.

Other sources: Moderndaymuscle.com and Thirdgenranch.com. I've done business with them many times and they are stand-out in all aspects.

With 5 Firebirds (2 GTA's), I hope that helps.

Gary.
GTA50 is offline   Reply With Quote