Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA NON-TECH

GTA NON-TECH Got a question about non-mechanical items related to your GTA.... whatever they may be? Then post it HERE!

Old 12-30-2011   #1
DD9TransAmGTA
Fireturd GTA owner

GTA Year: 1987
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Update on the GTA

The progress has been slow, but i did get some new parts. Got a B&M megashifter which is pretty nice. A 700r4 rebuild kit with corvette servos and things like that. A sungear aka "the beast". Also I bought a Grant Steering wheel,some might think its cheesy but its better than the worn out steering wheel in it right now. The GTA is tucked away in the garage for now. Hopefully i can get the tranny out soon. And now some pics!
All tucked away!

The Grant Steering wheel

B&M megashifter

Sungear

Rebuild kit parts

Some more rebuild kit stuff

1988 Firebird Formula - C&C T-TOP car, black with grey interior, was a 305 tbi now a 350 tbi, and waiting on a ZZ383 stroker
DD9TransAmGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011   #2
YumikoGTA
Original and Current GTA owner

Re: Update on the GTA

Looks like you have a long way to go. Just do not give up. It reminds me of when we were rebuilding my entire GTA. I can not count how many times I would just sit and look at my GTA in the garage all taken apart and wonder if it would ever be back together in one complete working piece again. And on the day that we drove it for the very first time after the process was completed, I was just amazed that my GTA was back together again in one piece and that it was running well.

So good luck and never give up. It will be a very rewarding feeling for you when you can complete it. It was for me when my GTA was completed. It is a very wonderful feeling for sure.

Yumiko
Old 12-31-2011   #3
DD9TransAmGTA
Fireturd GTA owner

I sure won't give up! I do sometimes look at it and wonder if it will ever be done. Hopefully when spring hits i can take it to a buddy of mines shop to start getting it done. I just can't wait to get it done though. I just want to enjoy it with the t tops off!

1988 Firebird Formula - C&C T-TOP car, black with grey interior, was a 305 tbi now a 350 tbi, and waiting on a ZZ383 stroker
Old 12-31-2011   #4
YumikoGTA
Original and Current GTA owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD9TransAmGTA View Post
Hopefully when spring hits i can take it to a buddy of mines shop to start getting it done. I just can't wait to get it done though. I just want to enjoy it with the t tops off!
What worried me the most about it was I kept thinking that if something happened to us, the parts would all just get thown away because no one in our family really knows anything about how we took my GTA completely apart and would not be able to put it back together. I kept thinking that if that happened, all the parts would end up in the trash.

What is wrong with the garage you have it in now? Looks like even bigger than our garage where we did everything except the painting. Seriously, you should have seen the inside of our home when we started to get all of the parts back from the painter. We had the fenders against our living room walls, the front and rear bumper covers were on our couch. The tires and rims were under the dining room table since it is hard wood floor in there with no carpeting, the suspension and brake system components were under a table in the kitchen since (no carpeting in the kitchen) and we had so many boxes with stuff in them all around the house. The aerospoiler was under our bed. The newly finished original exhaust was in the living room also against one of the walls. I wanted to keep the painted things inside of the house because we have carpet and this would prevent them from getting scratched on the cement in the garage, plus since they were back from the painter, they were all very clean. Everything else was in the garage. Once that we reinstalled the completely rebuilt transmissions and engine, then all the parts were taken out of the house one by one and installed on my GTA. I have some photographs of this stuff in our house, I should find them and post them for fun some time. My house had these parts in it for about a year maybe. I think this is why if you were to be in our home, you could not tell that we even own a GTA, because I made sure that every spare parts is packed away in boxes and they are all put away very organized in the closets. Not one bolt or receipt is laying around anywhere. The way that I like it to be now.

Yumiko

Last edited by YumikoGTA; 12-31-2011 at 01:46 PM.
YumikoGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011   #5
DD9TransAmGTA
Fireturd GTA owner

Well during the winter we usually try to put as many cars in the garage as we can to keep them out of the snow, but it hasn't snowed yet which makes me mad. My buddies shop has a car lift(very convenient!!) and a paint booth. I have done alot of work to it in this garage though.

Old 02-20-2012   #6
DD9TransAmGTA
Fireturd GTA owner

Ok I have came to a decision, i have to many projects and its time to sell the GTA..........JUST KIDDING, but really I have decided i'm going to do a Turbo 5.3 swap. I can get more power out of the 5.3 than the tuned port. I have a 5.3 vortec and a LS1 intake from a firebird that we sold a long time ago. I plan on slapping a cam in it too! I already have a turbo and will probably do a rear mount. I also have a 6.0 but it was in a flood. I think the tuned port will do more good in my 1936 Chevy pickup I also have 3 inch pipe and a stainless steel Borla exhaust system off a firebird almost new

Last edited by DD9TransAmGTA; 02-20-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-22-2012   #7
DD9TransAmGTA
Fireturd GTA owner

I think i'm going to order the hedman LS conversion kit along with silver mid length hedman headers, its pretty cool they even have a full kit for a V8 S10 conversion. Even LS swap into a foxbody.

Old 02-22-2012   #8
WickdEye
WickdEye

GTA Year: 1988

good luck a buddy of mine did LS1 conversion into his GTA but he hated i and wishd he would of left the HEART(Orginal Engine) of a geniune GTA alone and just kept the org 5.7 350 TPIcuz now its NOT a GTA anymore!!!! Dont get me wrong it runs awesome and fast and I like it!!!!

1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA
Simon
5.7 V8 350 TPI
Auto 700R4
9 Bolt Borg Warner
Royal Purple Oils ONLY!!
WickdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012   #9
DD9TransAmGTA
Fireturd GTA owner

My car isn't numbers matching it was a 305 then one of the owners swapped in a 350 tpi. I will be fine with the swap, my dad really wants to do it too. Plus I can brag to all the SN95 kids at school. Plus the 5.3's have aluminum heads, a plus in my book.

Last edited by DD9TransAmGTA; 02-22-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-24-2012   #10
gorin002
GM Enthusiast

hope see all the updates final when its ready
gorin002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012   #11
DD9TransAmGTA
Fireturd GTA owner

I got the passenger side headlight to go down, I feel accomplished

Old 02-26-2012   #12
DD9TransAmGTA
Fireturd GTA owner

Also hopefully in the next month or so me and my dad can get our 1985 Corvette painted and get the engine put back in and then bring it home and take the GTA to the shop to work on it. I will be off in the summer and will have alot of time to mess with it down there and get the swap done and finish the beast!

Old 02-26-2012   #13
DD9TransAmGTA
Fireturd GTA owner

I will probably use the Pirelli tires off the Corvette too! I think they are 255 50 R16 though? To save money I think i'm going to pass on recovering and putting the back seat back in. To me its unusable for passengers. I think I will fab up a T-Top rack in its place. Also I'm considering a 4 Point roll cage.

Last edited by DD9TransAmGTA; 02-26-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-27-2012   #14
DD9TransAmGTA
Fireturd GTA owner

I think the turbo I have will be way to small, I got it out yesterday and it was alot smaller than I thought, its for like 2.0 liter and smaller engines. So I will save that for the Yamaha V-MAX I will probably get a bigger turbo.

Old 02-28-2012   #15
MunsonGTA
Bad luck or no luck

GTA Engine: Custom

what size turbo is it?
87 GTA: Forged 408 LSX short block, TEA stage 2 cnc ported 243 heads, BTR Stage 3 stroker cam, Fast 102 intake, NW 102 TB, Longtube headers, custom 411 ECM, custom harness, custom tuned, Performabuilt stage 2 4l60E with PTC 2800 stall, 9 bolt rear with 3.70 gears and TAP girdle.

11.16 at 123 mph.
MunsonGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012   #16
DD9TransAmGTA
Fireturd GTA owner

Tiny, estimated 30mm. I thought it was a 60mm.

Old 02-29-2012   #17
MunsonGTA
Bad luck or no luck

GTA Engine: Custom

even a 60 is somewhat small for an ls1 motor. I'd look into a 70+ and something like this.

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/en...-hot-side.html
87 GTA: Forged 408 LSX short block, TEA stage 2 cnc ported 243 heads, BTR Stage 3 stroker cam, Fast 102 intake, NW 102 TB, Longtube headers, custom 411 ECM, custom harness, custom tuned, Performabuilt stage 2 4l60E with PTC 2800 stall, 9 bolt rear with 3.70 gears and TAP girdle.

11.16 at 123 mph.
MunsonGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012   #18
DD9TransAmGTA
Fireturd GTA owner

Its pretty small, I think I will check eBay. I really like the turbonetics turbos.

Old 02-29-2012   #19
DD9TransAmGTA
Fireturd GTA owner

Today my dad went to pick up a armrest he got recovered and I sent him with a sample of the carmine red pallex cloth. As soon as my dad pulled it out the guy said " oh thats pallex!". ( I had wrote pallex on the back in case the guys at the shop didn't know) He said he had a whole roll of grey in the back. He said he probably could get me some though. Pretty funny.

Old 02-29-2012   #20
89 ta
Pontiac Fan

DD9
Its nice to hear the updates. Keep em coming.

The only thing I have done this winter is get a new headliner for the black car and get some interior trim for the other car. Trying to find nice beechwood interior trim is a challenge. I did go to a local yard a find the tan door sills in great shape for $10.00. Now that was a good buy! Its hard to work on them when they are both in storage.

1989 Trans Am
Black with Black cloth
Resting in my garage
89 ta is offline   Reply With Quote