Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA NON-TECH

GTA NON-TECH Got a question about non-mechanical items related to your GTA.... whatever they may be? Then post it HERE!

Old 11-16-2011   #1
geddylee

Unhappy Steering wheel controls

Ok guys, maybe i can get a quick answer here. I have my 88 Gta at the local Pontiac dealer to have the bulbs changed in my digital dash and have them check a few other things. Well I put a new steering wheel on the other day and it all lights up but it will not operate the radio. Now the Pontiac dealer said there was short in the control pad that was the problem BUT I also think there is supposed to be another plugin into the back of the factory radio, right beside where the harness plugs into the radio. I dont have any wires left to plug into the radio to make the steering wheel work. Does anyone know if there is a 4 or 5 pin connection to plug in for the wheel to operate? Or could they be right and my pad is shorting out? I have another pad to try but just seems like there is something missing. Thanks.
geddylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #2
djmarch
1989 Gunmetal Grey, 350 TPI, 700R4, 3:27 BW

GTA Year: 1989
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: Steering wheel controls

Yes...There is a 4-5 pin connector on a seperate harness for the radio controls. Pull your radio and see if you can't find it.
Old 11-16-2011   #3
geddylee

I figured there had to be. I did look when I put the factory cassette back in but couldnt find it. Whoever put the cd player in may have tucked it up under the dash somewhere. I will have Pontiac look while they have the car. THATS why the dam controls dont work. Thanks.
Old 11-18-2011   #4
geddylee

Ok, got my Gta back from the local Pontiac dealer yesterday and all was well after they changed the bulbs in the dash, turn signal,highbeam,check engine light,and the light for the odometer reading. They also fixed my headrest, seatbelts,and my powerlocks which they said were not grounded. Thats all was well until I got home. When I did I popped the trunk to retrieve a cd player and noticed that the rear cargo light now didint work. Thought it was because they were trying to fix the pulldown, they may have fed up the light. BUT, when I opened up my door the dome light was out ad my power locks NOW didnt work and most important the reading on the odometer was out. It was still lit up just no numbers were visible.. WTF? It was late so I had my brothere in law take it back to dealer and they checked for burnt fuses and none!! They said it could be the dash was going bad. WHAT? I said. Nah, it was fine when I took it there Tuesday night and also when I picked it up. UNTIL I popped the trunk, I think it shorted something out. Dam.446 bucks and now I have to take the Gta back and let themgo find the problem. UGH!! Any ideas on what this could be? Frustrated.