Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA CLASSIFIEDS > GTA PARTS WANTED

GTA PARTS WANTED Looking for just the right part(s) out there to restore your GTA to its former glory? Whatever you need to find.... post your listing HERE!

Old 10-12-2011   #1
geddylee

Steering wheel and or radio

Hey everyone new to the forum. I wanted to know if anyone has the original radio for an 1988 Gta and possibly the steering wheel? I have a guy right by my work thats got an 88, Burgundy with black interior and 69,00 mile for 6000. I want to buy it, only he has a aftermarket cd player in it and the original was removed, although he does have the original, just worn prety bad. I would like to buy this car as it is beautiful, but I want the steering wheel controls to work. so need the factory radio. Want a 1988 Gta coz they have the digital dash and wheel conrols. Any help where to purchase these or if anyone has them for sale please let me know. Thanks and I love the GTAS. Paul.
geddylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011   #2
geddylee

Re: Steering wheel and or radio

Well guess thats a no in hopes of finding one here, lol. Could anyone tell me where I could possily get 1? Restoration site? Really need one!!!
Old 10-14-2011   #3
djmarch
1989 Gunmetal Grey, 350 TPI, 700R4, 3:27 BW

GTA Year: 1989
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by geddylee View Post
Well guess thats a no in hopes of finding one here, lol. Could anyone tell me where I could possily get 1? Restoration site? Really need one!!!
Have a little patience my friend...Check Ebay and there is a site called www.thirdgen.org...Go to their message board and place a post of what you want on "Parts Wanted" thread...Or search under "Parts for Sale"
Old 10-14-2011   #4
GTA50

Also, that radio/stereo was not unique to the GTAs. Pontiac Bonnevilles (check my spelling) had a similar radio. In fact <&R Electronics carries that model, which fits (just need to change the connector). I think other Pontiac models used the same radio. I bought one for my GTA a few years back and it was identical. I know it didn't come out of a GTA because the mounting brackets didn't match.

Anyway, search for cross-overs between models.
GTA50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011   #5
geddylee

Thanks guys. Yeah, got a bit impatient. Sorry. I will hit that BONNEVILLE radio on ebay then do a check on the other site 3rd org. Also, did the Gtas come with different rear seats? The one I want to buy has like the wedge shape where you would rest your back. Most have just a flat area all the way up. Maybe I can get some pics. The rear seat backs look identical to the 1989 Turbos seats if you know what they look like. Just wanting this car to be on the straight. 69,000 mile and he wants 5500 for it. Digital dash, Auto, t-tops with black interior.I want the car bad. Vey nice Gta. Please let me know if those are a special seat. The 1988 Gta that I had 20years ago DID NOT have the rear seats like the burgundy that I am wanting to buy. Thanks!!!!
Old 10-15-2011   #6
geddylee

GTA50, you are correct.I did a youtube search for 88 Bonneville and a guy had a 9 minute video with the identical radio and the dam steering wheel with radio controls!!!!! Now, TO TRY and locate either steering wheel and/or radio. Thanks.
Old 10-16-2011   #7
GTA50

Good to hear. By the way, a small typo on my part. That should have been M&R Electronics.
Old 10-16-2011   #8
geddylee

Just checked the M and R website and its showing they do stock the radio!!!! I wil call them tomorrow just to make sure and will order it. Now, you were saying that I just need to change the adapter? Will look into it. Thanks again and I will let you know how it goes tomorrow.
Old 10-16-2011   #9
GTA50

By adaptor, I meant the plug in at the back of the radio for the steering wheel controls. The one for the Bonneville radio is a different shape but still only has two wires going to the steering wheel controls.

As for the rear seats in the car you are looking at, any change the car was originally a notchback and had the rear hatch changed? If I recall correctly, the rear TTA seats and the rearb notchback seats were the same. Check for the notch rpo code on the SPID sheet.
Old 10-16-2011   #10
geddylee

You know, I was thinking that myself that it may be a notchback. The vin number wouldnt tell me, so will check furhter into it. I would like the other seats as these are not true to the standard Gtas but I dont want to pick apart the car.
Old 10-16-2011   #11
YumikoGTA
Original and Current GTA owner

Well obviously you should find out what exactly your car is. You can find out by looking at the options on the RPO sticker. If it is not a notchback, it will be better to get the correct rear seats. If it was a notchback, you should keep the seats and maybe someday you can put back the original style notchback lid. Since 1987, I have only seen one notchback in person. And at that time, I thought that it was a custom made lid like what people usually get when they put together the fiberglass kit cars. It was only after I found this web site when I learned that what I had seen many years ago was actually a hatchback lid that was manufactured by Pontiac. I think it was in 1992 or 1993 when I saw that one.

Yumiko
Old 10-17-2011   #12
geddylee

Yumiko, I know what you are saying about the seats being not original. Dam I am having no luck finding the steering wheel or the factory radio. Hawks 3rd generation does have recovered wheels at the price of 650.00 but now whenI see that the seats may be from a notchback, wow. I am having enuff trouble finding the radio and wheel that I aint sure its worth the trouble. I do want the car to be original so am I going in the wrong direction with this 88 Gta? Well I am staying patient and will keep up the search. by the way, I called M and R in Michigan and they told me that a Bonneville radio will not work in the Gta, even tho they look identical, it may not unlock when you press the mute button so kind of at a snag. Oh well. Thanks guys!!!
Old 10-18-2011   #13
1988TAGTA

GTA Year: 1988

I have the Wheel , and Radio control button off my 88, from when I converted the wheel to an 87 style. Pm me , we might can make a deal

SOLD JUNE 23 2012
5.7 GM Crate
Ford Racing 24# Injectors

/ Custom Chip / Headers
/ TB Coolant Bypass/ TB Air Foil
/ Smog Delete / Cold Start Delete
/ EGR Delete / A.I.R. Delete / Sub Frame Connectors
/ Poly Bushings/ Wonder Bar
1988TAGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011   #14
red88tagta

Sorry Guys, I don't get on here as much as I'd like to. But as fate would have it, I do have the radio and steering wheel controls you are looking for. I had a god awful time of locating a radio myself. It took more than 2 years of searching to find the correct ones. I found that some of them (Bonevilles) had a 3 wire (2 green and black)connector on the back for communication from the steering wheel controls (Will not work with an 88 GTA, GTA's have a 2 wire orange and black)
The last correct one that I found was on E Bay for $600!!! Guy must be crazy!

Let me know what would be a fair offer and we will talk,,,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06182.JPG (142.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06183.JPG (143.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06189.JPG (142.0 KB, 9 views)
red88tagta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011   #15
djmarch
1989 Gunmetal Grey, 350 TPI, 700R4, 3:27 BW

GTA Year: 1989

Speaking of which, I disconnected my battery on my GTA to clear some codes awhile back and now I can't get the radio to "unloc". I keep pressing the "mute" button on the radio control pod with no luck. Checked all connections, (radio and radio control pod), and everything looks good and tight. Even checked out the circuit board in the radio control pod..Everything is clean. If any one knows how to "unloc" the radio by other means I would appreciate the advice. Otherwise I'm wondering if it isn't the turn signal ring w/harness assembly. The radio worked fine before and I was always able to "unloc" the radio by depressing the mute button on the radio control pod.
Old 12-18-2011   #16
red88tagta

You should have an inline fuse(oange wire)next to the battery that supplies 12v to the ecm and fuel relay to clear the codes without loosing radio memory.
I've been able to use some old parts to bench test the radios.
On the control pad, common problem is oxidation, causing interferance. Easily taken apart and cleaned.
Common problem with the turn signal switch are the springs for the contact pins beneath the cancel cam. They are part of the conductance. They overheat and become weak. Again easily taken apart and repaired.
The turn signal switch from an 89-90 oldsmobile or 88 pontiac will work.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=....c0.m270.l1313
Or try part # BWD S3236

For the cancel cam Delco part #26009414
http://www.rmsautoparts.com/proddeta...26009414&cat=5
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06069.JPG (138.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06066.JPG (107.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06070.JPG (101.1 KB, 11 views)
Old 12-18-2011   #17
red88tagta

I forgot to tell you how to test before pulling the steering wheel. With the pad removed but still connected. Check the following at the connector. You will need a volt meter and some straightened out paper clips. Black wire ground, yellow wire 12v power key on. grey wire illumination, orange wire data 4.5 volts or so, you will see that voltage fluctuate when pressing any of the pad buttons.
Old 04-23-2012   #18
89JerseyGTA

Interesting stuff RedGTA, I just had mine apart, wouldn't have thought the turn signal spring would have anything to do with it.

Thanks I will look it over.
89JerseyGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012   #19
red88tagta

Let me know if I can be of any further help. I repair those radios all the time.
PM would be the fastest way, I don't get on here as often as I should.