Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 12-05-2011   #21
73_widetrack

Re: New member with 89 GTA project OVRMYHD

Gun meteal grey is a great color because it can hide dirt and it looks great clean. Best of success on this re-birth and keep it on the ground.
73_widetrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #22
prokilllsx

I'll try to keep at least the rears on the pavement. Thanks all! Here's some new pics of the more recent progress for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg getting there.jpg (43.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg fuel pump.jpg (40.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg hatch motor.jpg (41.9 KB, 20 views)
prokilllsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011   #23
CanuckDreamz

That's a great story Proskills! Nice to see the car is back home. I'm sure she missed the attention!

Can you tell us a little more about your hatch motor, what was happening and what was required to be done?
CanuckDreamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011   #24
prokilllsx

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckDreamz View Post
Can you tell us a little more about your hatch motor, what was happening and what was required to be done?
The problem with the hatch motor is very common in these cars when they have the electric pull down feature. The motor runs on plastic rails and is poorly designed. It's very important that the hatch be gently lowered until it clicks and then the motor does the work of pulling the rest of the way down. The plastic weakens with time and use. Eventually someone slams the rear hatch (especially easy to do once the hatch shocks get tired) and the impact breaks the plastic bits. Since most of the weight of the assembly is supported with the rails, the motor will drop and no longer be high enough to grab the hook. Even if it was high enough it wouldnt be able to raise or lower the lid as it's tracks are broken. There are rebuild kits available I think and buying a new or rebuilt one is also an option, what I chose to do was have Tracey find a good used one and swap it for the bad one. I have new hatch struts to put on and know better than to slam the lid, so it shouldn't be a problem again for this bird.
Old 12-09-2011   #25
prokilllsx

I believe the cogs or gears that run on the rails are plastic also. Not a good design for a part which will likely eventually be exposed to high impact. Thanks GM!
Old 12-09-2011   #26
YumikoGTA
Original and Current GTA owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokilllsx View Post
I believe the cogs or gears that run on the rails are plastic also. Not a good design for a part which will likely eventually be exposed to high impact. Thanks GM!
The gears do not touch the rails in any way. The gears are inside a center located assembly. The rails simply hold the entire assembly in place. The gears move the entire assembly up and down.

This assembly for the pull down assembly is a very fragile assembly as you mention. There is not so many people who you can talk to that actually purchased a GTA new from the GM Dealership. I am one of the fortunate ones who did purchase my GTA from a GM Dealership. During the purchasing process, the sales representatives were very helpful and helping me understand everything about the GTA before I drove it away. So they had gone over everything with me. And one of the things that we talked about was this pull down assembly. GM made this assembly because they explained to me that if it was a slam down type of hatchback, they say that the risk of breaking the glass out if there happened to be a big item in the trunk area that hits the glass before it closes all the way down. With the pull down style, it will hit the glass gently and alerting the owner that there is not enough room for it. So basically the pull down style type of assembly eliminates this risk of shattering the back window. The slam down type of assembly causes the owner to use better judgement so the owner would not accidentally shatter the back glass after putting something in the trunk area that does not clear the glass when the hatch is closed down. So this electric pull down accessory they say was an added safety feature.

Since they showed me many of the functions of the GTA, they also explained to me that the remote trunk release button in the dash board does not work if the engine is running or the ignition key is on while the emergency brake is not applied. I remember some members on this forum a few years ago could not understand why the remote trunk release button on their GTA did not work all of the time. That was the reason.

And about the problems with this pull down motor assembly, yes, it is very fragile. Actually the one on my own GTA stopped working in November 1992. This is another thing you need to be aware of which is what happened to mine in 1992. My GTA battery started to be dead in the mornings. I had to have it jump started three mornings in a row. So on the first day off that I got, I started to explore the rear area of my GTA. I removed the panel in the rear portion of my GTA. After I removed that, I was looking around and I happened to touch the electric motor that is part of the pull down assembly. It was so hot that it slightly burned my hand. I was so surprised. So I contacted the first mechanic that I used to use. He came over to where I was living to help me with my GTA. He took apart the assembly and discovered that the problem is that there is this plastic switch that has this small toggle that turns off the motor when the pull down assembly goes down all the way. But on my GTA, this toggle had broken off and so the electric motor in the assembly was constantly trying to pull the hatchback down.

After we fixed that, I was thinking that my GTA could have burned up because of how hot the electric motor got. So ever since then, I always make sure that I hear the clicking sound of the toggle when I close the hatch back lid so I confirm that the electric motor is stopped getting energized.

Yumiko

Last edited by YumikoGTA; 12-09-2011 at 11:23 PM.
YumikoGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011   #27
Steveh4263
1987 Pontiac Trans AM GTA

GTA Year: 1987
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

I had a friend tell me not to slam the rear hatch down when I first got my GTA. Very useful information. Be very gentle with that pull down motor. Need to put a sign or something on the underside of the hatch that says CLOSE THE HATCH GENTLY. My pull down motor works great, since I have followed this information from my friend.
Old 12-10-2011   #28
geddylee

Great advice Yumiko. I really like this feature and sweet when it works but unfortunately mine is not at present time. My Gm dealership said it was bad so may have to get one from Hawks.
geddylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011   #29
Steveh4263

High Performance Pontiac has a article about common problems with 3rd gens here. I have read the article in the past and don't know if it pertains to the problem you are having with your hatch motor. Here is the article. http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...ems/index.html
Old 12-10-2011   #30
YumikoGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveh4263 View Post
High Performance Pontiac has a article about common problems with 3rd gens here. I have read the article in the past and don't know if it pertains to the problem you are having with your hatch motor. Here is the article. http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...ems/index.html
Funny article, though it is pretty true about the problems. However, if the rear hatch shocks do not work, you can always be gentle and never let it slam down. This is what I do, because the factory shocks only last about a year and so I got tired of purchasing them new from GM only to last one year. I have new ones that I will not put on until I sell my own GTA. The shocks seem to have a shelf life when they are put on the car, because they are compressed when they are on the car and the hatchback is closed. If they are not installed on the car, they are in the open position so they do not lose the gas inside. It only starts when they are actually installed on the car and the hatchback is then closed, compressing the shocks.

The GTA has so many issues, however, when you have them all repaired and you know how to use it and the car is only for occassional use, the GTA is a very nice car to drive. I know because my GTA really is running well and is always very pleasureable to drive for me.

Yumiko
Old 12-10-2011   #31
Steveh4263

Quote:
Originally Posted by YumikoGTA View Post
Funny article, though it is pretty true about the problems. However, if the rear hatch shocks do not work, you can always be gentle and never let it slam down. This is what I do, because the factory shocks only last about a year and so I got tired of purchasing them new from GM only to last one year. I have new ones that I will not put on until I sell my own GTA. The shocks seem to have a shelf life when they are put on the car, because they are compressed when they are on the car and the hatchback is closed. If they are not installed on the car, they are in the open position so they do not lose the gas inside. It only starts when they are actually installed on the car and the hatchback is then closed, compressing the shocks.

The GTA has so many issues, however, when you have them all repaired and you know how to use it and the car is only for occassional use, the GTA is a very nice car to drive. I know because my GTA really is running well and is always very pleasureable to drive for me.

Yumiko
I agree these cars have many issues. When I bought my GTA it had a lot of issues. Some solved and some not completely solved yet.
Old 12-11-2011   #32
YumikoGTA

Quote:
I agree these cars have many issues. When I bought my GTA it had a lot of issues. Some solved and some not completely solved yet.
So what are the ones that are not solved yet? Maybe we can help. One thing that I have been aware of from people that I have met in person who own these type of cars, most of them are not the original owner and most of the time there has been many previous owners. Almost all of these people I have met with GTAs that have many previous owners, the GTA has been altered and modified and repaired incorrectly or not accurately and so many of these people who have these types of GTA have a very difficult time to understand how to fix the problems that they are having, because of previous owners doing things to the GTAs. I am fortunate because my GTA is basically the same as it was when it was new. So if there is something that does not work on my GTA or if there is some problem happening, it is not difficult to find the problem, because it has not been messed up by any previous owners, I am the only person to own my GTA. When something does not work on a car that has been altered so much, it increases the possibilities of what the problems could be.

Yumiko

Last edited by YumikoGTA; 12-11-2011 at 12:58 AM.
Old 12-11-2011   #33
73_widetrack

Poll Re: New member with 89 GTA project OVRMYHD

Well I know that if the rear shocks are inop it is wise to fix them because many women have a hard time negotiating the trunk lid and geting a stickin place. Earls Z-28 had bad shocks and he had to replace them so his wife could use the trunk.
73_widetrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011   #34
Steveh4263

Quote:
Originally Posted by YumikoGTA View Post
So what are the ones that are not solved yet? Maybe we can help. One thing that I have been aware of from people that I have met in person who own these type of cars, most of them are not the original owner and most of the time there has been many previous owners. Almost all of these people I have met with GTAs that have many previous owners, the GTA has been altered and modified and repaired incorrectly or not accurately and so many of these people who have these types of GTA have a very difficult time to understand how to fix the problems that they are having, because of previous owners doing things to the GTAs. I am fortunate because my GTA is basically the same as it was when it was new. So if there is something that does not work on my GTA or if there is some problem happening, it is not difficult to find the problem, because it has not been messed up by any previous owners, I am the only person to own my GTA. When something does not work on a car that has been altered so much, it increases the possibilities of what the problems could be.

Yumiko
I believe I'm the third owner of my GTA. You can have many gremlins that you don't know about when your the third owner of a car that is almost 25 years old. Mostly it is this EGR code 32 that is the problem. It only does it when I take the car on a long drive. Seems to be running rich as well. I won't know anything until next year in April and I need a new radiator and might as well change the hoses going to the radiator. We looked at the top radiator hose and the date code was 1986.
Old 12-12-2011   #35
prokilllsx

Quote:
I believe I'm the third owner of my GTA. You can have many gremlins that you don't know about when your the third owner of a car that is almost 25 years old. Mostly it is this EGR code 32 that is the problem. It only does it when I take the car on a long drive. Seems to be running rich as well. I won't know anything until next year in April and I need a new radiator and might as well change the hoses going to the radiator. We looked at the top radiator hose and the date code was 1986.
I was told that when getting an egr code one thing that people overlook is carbon build up in the ports feeding it. Replacing the egr will sometimes very temporarily turn off the light if carbon build up in the ports is present. Maybe try removing it and cleaning them out?
Old 12-12-2011   #36
Steveh4263

thirdgen.org has information on the EGR 32 error code. Won't be able to check anything until April 2012 though. Car is in storage area until then.
Old 12-13-2011   #37
YumikoGTA

My GTA use to get that same code right after my personal mechanic put on my GTA new head gaskets in 1992/1993 timeframe. He did not know why my GTA was doing that. It did not seem to effect the engine or anything, so my mechanic just did nothing to figure it out. During that time I used to drive to Los Angeles and San Diego a few times per month from San Francisco (this is why my GTA has so many miles on it). I noticed that the engine service soon light would come on exactly ten minutes after getting back on the highway after stopping to get fuel. It was every ten minutes it would come on. Very odd to me that it was doing this. So I researched all of the photographs that I took of my GTA engine before he did this work. I discovered that there was a little green wire that was not connected to anything and it was near the back of the engine and sort of on the passengers side. I showed him the wire and he told me that it was very common for GM to build cars with extra wires and so it was probably just an extra wire that was to go to some type of option or something that my GTA did not get at the factory, maybe on a different model or something, so they could use the same wire harness for a number of cars.

But I was not happy that this engine soon light would come on so I was looking around and I discovered that he did not reconnect the green wire into the wire harness that connects the temperature sensor that is on the EGR valve to the wire harness. When I saw that extra wire, it was the part that was coming out of the wire harness. So after I looked at it for a while, I saw the wire that connects to the EGR valve was just laying towards the back of the engine and it was almost invisible to see if it was connected to something. As soon as I connected that green wire that was coming from the EGR valve into the wire that was coming from the wire harness, the service engine soon light no longer came on. I wish that someone could have told me about this when it was happening to my GTA. I drove my GTA for almost a month before finding out what this problem was.

Since then, I learned from other mechanics that the EGR valve has a temperature sensor on it. The temperature sensor that is on the EGR valve is connected to the computer with that green wire.

In my GTA case, when the engine gets hot enough, which is roughly about ten minutes after I start going on the highway, the computer is trying to read the temperature of the EGR valve. But since it was not connected, it was not reading any temperature, or it was reading it as cold. However, the engine was getting more hot because the EGR valve was open because of that, hot exhaust fumes continued to recalculate into the engine from the smog. If the temperature sensor on the EGR valve had been connected all the time, the computer would have read the temperature of the EGR valve accurately and then would have closed the EGR valve and stopped the exhaust gases from continuing to recalculate. But in my GTA case, the gases continued to recalculate and it made the engine run hotter than it should be running. And this will cause the thirtytwo engine code to come on.

So check the wiring of the temperature sensor on the EGR valve. As the other person said, it could be stuck because of carbon building up, or like in my GTAs case, it was because the computer was not getting an accurate temperature reading of the EGR valve because the temperature sensor was not connected.

So it could be carbon deposit, it could be EGR valve stuck open or closed, or the temperature sensor on your EGR valve is not working, or the computer is not getting an accurate reading from the temperature sensor because it is not connected properly or the wire may be damaged from being burned, cut or worn out in some place. I am sure that if the computer detects the intake air to be hot and the water in the engine as being hot, but the temperature sensor on the EGR valve is cold or not reading, this would probably effect it and the computer will not understand why it is and then send the engine code with the engine service soon light coming on.

Hope that this helps.

Yumiko

Last edited by YumikoGTA; 12-13-2011 at 12:42 AM.
Old 12-15-2011   #38
Badassbird
Late Model EFI Alchemist

Here you go Jerry. I will help you to try and keep the thread on track.
Badassbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011   #39
Badassbird
Late Model EFI Alchemist

First two
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rear Cargo Carpet1.jpg (35.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Passenger Area Carpet1.jpg (28.6 KB, 16 views)
Old 12-15-2011   #40
Badassbird
Late Model EFI Alchemist

Second Two
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fuel Pump Hatch Cover1.jpg (26.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Fuel Pump Hatch1.jpg (34.2 KB, 18 views)