Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH

GTA DOCUMENTATION/RESEARCH Want to ask about your GTA's documentation, build codes, or other historical data? Then post it HERE!

Old 10-05-2011   #1
MRM

Question Original color or something else?

As a former owner, I like to look at pics of GTAs from time to time just to remember the good ol' days. I came across this one today and I can't tell if it's the original color. It's hard to say if it's the lighting, camera, been photoshopped, or has been painted a different color. Anyway, it's a nice looking car. Any thought?

MRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011   #2
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5

Re: Original color or something else?

I think I have seen this color before. yes.
Old 10-05-2011   #3
Wes

That's Flame Red Metallic
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011   #4
YumikoGTA
Original and Current GTA owner

Wes is right, it is the flame red metalic color. My GTA is the exact same color as this one in the picture.

Yumiko
Old 10-06-2011   #5
MRM

I was aware of the flame red metallic, I almost bought one that color many years ago. In the pic, it seems to be a different shade than what I have seen.

I lucked up and found the previous owner and asked him about the color. He said he spent around 30 hours wet sanding and buffing it to a mirror finish to really bring out the metallic in the color.
MRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011   #6
YumikoGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM View Post
I lucked up and found the previous owner and asked him about the color. He said he spent around 30 hours wet sanding and buffing it to a mirror finish to really bring out the metallic in the color.
That is a lot of work and time for it to still not really look any different. My GTA was not color sanded or buffed after it was repainted and mine looks exactly the same as this one does.

Yumiko
Old 10-09-2011   #7
prokilllsx

If I had to stay with a factory color and coudn't pick gunmetal gray, it would have to be flame red.
prokilllsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011   #8
YumikoGTA

For my own GTAs situation, after my GTA was about ten or eleven years old, the original paint started to turn a little bit reddish, more than the dark flame red that it was, I took photographs of it right before the restoration process and it looks like it is the red and not flame red. I am not sure if this is just because the paint changes color from years of prolonged sun exposures or not. I have photographs of when my flame red GTA was brand new and then photogrpahs of it after ten and eleven years old and photographs of it now after we did the restoration project to it. The photographs of it now look exactly the same color as it was when it was brand new. Also the type of light that the car is in at the time the photograph is being taken can also have an impact on how the color looks sometimes. I notice that when I take photographs of my GTA when the sun is starting to set, it makes the car appear to glow, I think it brings out the metalic in the paint this way. In the direct sunlight, it looks really flame red. I can attach photographs if you need to see it to understand what I am saying.

Yumiko