Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA NON-TECH

GTA NON-TECH Got a question about non-mechanical items related to your GTA.... whatever they may be? Then post it HERE!

Old 08-18-2011   #1
GhostGTA
GhostGTA

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
New GTA owner

Hi All,

I joined the site two weeks ago as I am the new owner of a 1988 GTA! I haven't taken the time to say hi and introduce myself. So I am doing that now.

First let me tell you the story behind how I got my GTA:

Two years ago I purchased an old motorcycle trailer from a friend for $400 to haul my HOG to Sturgis. I ended up just riding the bike to the rally and the trailer was left in the garage taking up space. Well last year I decided to paint it and replace the floor, so it would be more serviceable. I had just finished the job when I saw my neighbor had bought an ugly but running 81 Chevy Cheyenne shortbox pickup. I always loved the shortbox Chevys and offered to trade him the trailer for the truck, he had a bike as well and needed a trailer because he was moving soon and got the truck for a song, so we traded. I had the truck for about 4 months and decided it wasn't as practical to keep and would take to much money fix up. I put the truck Craigslist to see if I had any interest. A guy emailed me with a 1965 Plymouth Fury II station wagon w/383. My wife loved the wagon so we got it as a running project. I tinkered with it for a while and decided that I wanted some thing different, once again to Craigslist I go. I ended up trading the wagon for an 88 Chevy Blazer lifted 10 inches, 37" tires, and 400 small block. I liked all these vehicles, but none of them I really loved! When I started my Craigslist venture, I had always tried to trade up. So when I saw the old thirgen's ad, I called the guy to see if he would be interested in a trade. I, like alot of other people had no idea about the GTA bird, I just wanted the car. So now I have my GTA and couldn't love it more!

So if you were following my story I got my GTA for about $400!

Thanks to all of you who have posted on this site with troubleshooting questions, I have already fixed a three problems!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo-0177.jpg (45.7 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by GhostGTA; 08-18-2011 at 01:58 PM.
GhostGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011   #2
FearThisGTA
"The only thing to fear is.............fear itself"

GTA Year: 1991
Re: New GTA owner

Nice car! Great story, and welcome to the site.

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
on the original motor!!!!
Time of Death on motor, 4:07pm on 05/29/2010.
Hp:211.2@4200rpms/Tq.328.5@2700rpms
Best et: 13.959@97.05mph
Best mph: 98.3
Best 60' : 1.875 on BFG Comp TA's w/ 32 lbs of air in them
FearThisGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011   #3
YumikoGTA
Original and Current GTA owner

That seems complicated about all the things you bought and traded from the start to the end. I think I remember seeing that photograph on ebay before some years ago, because the plant in the way was odd that someone would put it like that when they are trying to sell the car. I am sure it is not though, but it is funny how some photographs look identical to other photographs to me. I an one of the very few people who can remember every little detail about everything throughout years.

Congratulations on your GTA. I hope that it will be something you love very much for a long time.

Yumiko
Old 08-20-2011   #4
Steveh4263
1987 Pontiac Trans AM GTA

GTA Year: 1987

Wow $400 dollars for GTA. Looks good? Were there any major problems with the car. Did you get the Gold WS6 center caps for the car?
Old 08-22-2011   #5
GhostGTA
GhostGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveh4263 View Post
Wow $400 dollars for GTA. Looks good? Were there any major problems with the car. Did you get the Gold WS6 center caps for the car?
The car needs some new paint (coming this fall). I am also going to buy some new OEM rims for her. I have three center caps and am going to get replacement, because the ones on her are pretty worn. She came to me with a fast idle problem (idled at around 1500 RPM). I fixed that with a mile of vacuum line and new gaskets for the TB and intake. She pures at 550 RPM (at idle now). I just finished giving her a little tune up this weekend. She was giving me a Code 24, 33, 34, 36. I think the high idle was causing the 33, 34, 36. I went through and checked the MAF relays and the MAF all were good. I cleared them after the fixes and they haven't returned. I believe thatI'm getting the 24 because my speedometer is on the fritz. It will jump between MPH and kph and sometimes read a speed, but who knows if it is correct. Also the odometer/driver's info center is out. I think these two are related so I am going to look at the VSS, VSS buffer, and cable tonight to see if I can find the problem. Thanks.

Last edited by GhostGTA; 08-22-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-22-2011   #6
GhostGTA
GhostGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by YumikoGTA View Post
That seems complicated about all the things you bought and traded from the start to the end. I think I remember seeing that photograph on ebay before some years ago, because the plant in the way was odd that someone would put it like that when they are trying to sell the car. I am sure it is not though, but it is funny how some photographs look identical to other photographs to me. I an one of the very few people who can remember every little detail about everything throughout years.

Congratulations on your GTA. I hope that it will be something you love very much for a long time.

Yumiko
Yumiko, you may have seen that photo on ebay... That picture is from the last owner when he emailed me photos of the car. I haven't been able to take a set of good photos of the car yet. Been wrenchin' on her too much! LOL I am planning on a nice pictorial this fall... but I will shoot some pics in the garage and put them up.
Old 08-23-2011   #7
Steveh4263

The previous owner of my GTA had the Digital Dash replaced. Crossed fingers that this one will stay working. These car's are really temperamental. I keep getting code 32. EGR code. It goes away and comes back. It's haunting me. Maybe the car needs a exorcism or something. LOL! Looks like Ebay is the place to go for those Gold WS6 center caps.

Last edited by Steveh4263; 08-23-2011 at 01:08 AM.
Steveh4263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011   #8
GhostGTA
GhostGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveh4263 View Post
The previous owner of my GTA had the Digital Dash replaced. Crossed fingers that this one will stay working. These car's are really temperamental. I keep getting code 32. EGR code. It goes away and comes back. It's haunting me. Maybe the car needs a exorcism or something. LOL! Looks like Ebay is the place to go for those Gold WS6 center caps.
So I unplugged the VSS buffer last night trying to diagnose my lack of speedo/driver's info center and they worked. So I know now that my gauges are working fine, it's just VSS buffer. Also that darn Code 34 came back (MAF sensor). Gonna have to go back to the drawing board for that one... Can't wait till tax season, NEW PAINT, NEW WHEELS, NEW INTERIOR!
Old 08-23-2011   #9
GhostGTA
GhostGTA

God Bless small victories! I took out the VSS buffer and cleaned it with electrical connection cleaner and viola! I have my speedo and driver's info center back. All the gauges on the Ghost are now functional!

Thanks to you guys who already documented your experience with this issue on other posts.

Now I have to track down this Code 34...
Old 09-01-2011   #10
GhostGTA
GhostGTA

New update; Last weekend I replaced the cap, rotor, plug wires, a plugs. Took a better part of 2 hours and I had to turn into a contortionist, but I got it done and that took care of the Code 34! The service manual said that the Code 34 could come from eratic idle or other idle problems, which I had and now solved.

Now working on the interior, thanks to some site members. Will send update soon.
Old 09-06-2011   #11
GhostGTA
GhostGTA

Update: Replaced all of the gasket on the intake all the way to the heads and about a mile of vacuum line. No more high idle!

Update: Did a oil change and fuel filter this weekend. Working with Art for some interior stuff, project Ghost is full steam ahead. I plan on giving her a good cleaning this weekend and taking some glamour shots for you guys who are interested.
Old 09-10-2011   #12
GhostGTA
GhostGTA

UPDATE: Just got done changing the diff fluid and about to make a mess flushing the coolant system.
Old 10-17-2011   #13
GhostGTA
GhostGTA

UPDATE: Took the wheels and tires off. Up on jack stands in the garage. Sent the wheels off to get straightened and polished. Then new tires! Found a place in Denver that will straighten and polish them for 100 a rim.
Old 10-17-2011   #14
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostGTA View Post
UPDATE: Took the wheels and tires off. Up on jack stands in the garage. Sent the wheels off to get straightened and polished. Then new tires! Found a place in Denver that will straighten and polish them for 100 a rim.
Darn, I bought my like new formula wheels for 210 for all 4...
then I powder coated them for 250...
Old 10-19-2011   #15
GhostGTA
GhostGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badGTA View Post
Darn, I bought my like new formula wheels for 210 for all 4...
then I powder coated them for 250...
You think thats to much to straighten?
Old 10-19-2011   #16
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostGTA View Post
You think thats to much to straighten?
Dont know.. never had it done.. but if I were you.. I would look on craigs list for a nice set of wheels (GTAs or whatever) and I would be OK with shipping.. up to you though
you can search all craigslists accross the usa using

http://www.allofcraigs.com/

I found the following but didnt spend much time

http://santamaria.craigslist.org/pts/2586021944.html
http://orlando.craigslist.org/pts/2561663159.html
Just offer less...

I found brand new wheels for my CRV (the higher trim level wheels) that had never been on the road for $150. they were 375 each new... just a thought...rims are cheap on craigs list as a rule. and every price is very neg.
Old 10-19-2011   #17
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5

here is a full set 400.. Black set!
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/ex...-16-x-8-a.html
Old 10-20-2011   #18
YumikoGTA
Original and Current GTA owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badGTA View Post
here is a full set 400.. Black set!
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/ex...-16-x-8-a.html
I looked at that link and I am sure that you know that the front rims are different from the rear rims. The seller says that the photograph is of the rear rims, but the second photograph is of rear rims also. Make sure you see the photographs of the front rims also to make sure that they are front rims and not just four rear rims. If I was buying them I would ask for front rim photographs also, not just two different photographs of rear rims.

Yumiko
Old 10-21-2011   #19
Steveh4263

You want to look for this. I knew I had a photo of the backside of the GTA wheel. Just think of that rust and brake dust on the backside of the wheels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11-7-2009 9-03-30 PM.jpg (88.6 KB, 8 views)
Old 10-21-2011   #20
TTOP350

Im sure you have seen them but Classic industries has these wheels new for 720$ a set of 4. You can even do 4 fronts if you want 4 easy rotations.
TTOP350 is offline   Reply With Quote