Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA MISC

GTA MISC What you're looking to find out about your GTA doesn't fit in the above categories? Then post your topic HERE!

Old 07-13-2011   #1
Knight_RiderGTA

How did you get your GTA?

Hello all,

So who has any cools stories on how they got their GTA?

Well I went on the the hunt for another third gen F-body after my IROC-Z blew the head gasket and the tranny started sticking. I spent months roaming ads and the streets for the right F-Body and then one day I saw an ad on craigslist for a 1990 Trans Am GTA and I jumped out of the seat with excitement and headed down the next day to see it. The guy who was selling it had it in his garage for 11 years and had to sell it so he could go back to college.....so I cut him a deal at $2,300 what a steal!
Knight_RiderGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011   #2
DD9TransAmGTA
Fireturd GTA owner

GTA Year: 1987
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: How did you get your GTA?

My dad works at a place they buys crashed cars and parts them out. He went to go look at a crashed truck and sitting in the lot was a 1987 GTA. But it was a rare paddle mirror car! My dad went and talked to the guy who owned it. He said he wet sanded it and then it sat for 6 years. The guy said 1500 and my dad offered him 1000 and 3 weeks later he took the offer. Now it sits safely in my garage where i work on it everyday.

1988 Firebird Formula - C&C T-TOP car, black with grey interior, was a 305 tbi now a 350 tbi, and waiting on a ZZ383 stroker
DD9TransAmGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011   #3
Steveh4263
1987 Pontiac Trans AM GTA

GTA Year: 1987

Purchased my car from a guy Windom, Minnesota. It needed quite a bit of work to it. I plan on keeping the car pretty much stock. I'll keep the car interior Carmine red. From what someone told me here or on facebook it was a rare option for a 87 GTA. Just need to get the seats re-upholstered and new carpet. I need seat belts as well. A lot people put 4th gen seat belts in there cars.
Old 07-13-2011   #4
FearThisGTA
"The only thing to fear is.............fear itself"

GTA Year: 1991

I was actually haggling with a Pontiac dealer on a black 91 GTA in rough condition and with more miles, when I stumbled across my car at a Chevy dealer a mile down the road. That was June 1994. I asked the salesman how much he wanted for it and he said they had it listed for 10,5, but he could let me have it for 10,2. I could not get to the bank fast enough. I knew that they had it listed as a Trans Am and not a GTA. Which was a $2500.00 difference at that time. Needless to say, I wasnt going to educate them either,lol. As soon as I bought the car, it started raining, when it stopped we we in the middle of a huge flood. Go figure,lol.

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
on the original motor!!!!
Time of Death on motor, 4:07pm on 05/29/2010.
Hp:211.2@4200rpms/Tq.328.5@2700rpms
Best et: 13.959@97.05mph
Best mph: 98.3
Best 60' : 1.875 on BFG Comp TA's w/ 32 lbs of air in them
FearThisGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011   #5
SeanO23

GTA Year: 1988

I looked for an IROC-Z for 3 years. never found one in good shape, they were all mollested. I drove by My GTA every day for 2 years on the way to school, and i finally caved and asked the guy how much he wanted, he wanted 10,000, which way too much. 6 months later it was still for sale and i got it for just over half that.
SeanO23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011   #6
mavs88gta

My wife got me mine as an aniversary gift. She said she remembered my stories of how my dad wasted so much money on my oldest sisters pricey cars, that he couldn't afford to get me one, so one day when I came home from work she took me out, and pulled up onto a used car lot, and said there it is,..... It's yours.
mavs88gta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011   #7
SeanO23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs88gta View Post
My wife got me mine as an aniversary gift. She said she remembered my stories of how my dad wasted so much money on my oldest sisters pricey cars, that he couldn't afford to get me one, so one day when I came home from work she took me out, and pulled up onto a used car lot, and said there it is,..... It's yours.

Best Gift Ever.
SeanO23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011   #8
merc3065

I bought my T/A fresh outta college, just paid off my student loan in April of 04 off a guy in Massachusetts from EBay. Flew down, drove it back. Got the border, check engine light came on. MAF was dead.

Crashed the car in 05 due to someone crowding my lane, hit fresh gravel on the side of road and lost it.

Bought a notch back GTA from a guy off Thirdgen.org in '06. Got ripped off basically. Was a piece of crap then, and is now a polished turd today. But has the drive train and more from my crashed car so it's a shiny piece of crap that goes fast

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

One day it'll become a proper GTA with the right $$$.
Old 07-14-2011   #9
rhomanski
The Born Loser

Sorry to hear you got took Merc. It happens to all of us. I made the decision to get mine in the mid nineties. I had a long commute and kept to 4 cylinders. I bought the corvette and was shocked to get 27 miles a gallon. So I asked myself,"why am I driving 4 cylinders when I can get almost as good mileage with a v-8?" You could almost hear me slapping my forehead. " I coulda had a V-8 ". I immediately started looking in the paper for a firebird with a 350. Found mine 3 days later. Paid the original owner 5 thousand the next day. It and the Corvette became my daily drivers.

Regards,

Ron.
Old 07-16-2011   #10
budfreak1
stang stumper

GTA Year: 1991

I got my first GTA when I was 18 and it was an 87 flame red with red interior and 350/auto hardtop. My best friend had bought it and owned it for all of 2 months when he pulled out in front of somebody and got the front taken off. I bought it from him for $200 bucks and then over the next 6 months to a year we put about 12K into it and had everything perfect and functional on it. after less than 2 years, a woman backed into the front of it at speed while it was parked on the street. I bought a full bra for it and covered the damage and spent the money on the motor. Then 3 weeks later, as I'm driving through an intersection a woman runs a stop sign in her ranger thinking that I had a stop sign too and she plowed into the pass. side of the car and totalled it.
My current 91 was bought for me by my late wife when she finally got her disability and got a large check. She always knew how much I loved my first one (and so did she) and she told me I deserved another one after I got robbed of the first one. I'd found it on ebay in a classified ad back in sept. of 09 and we drove out to look at it and I knew I had to have it. I widdled it down to 2,600 from the ladie and handed her $300 to hold it for me until December. I went back the first week of december and handed her the other 2,300 and drove it home. It was completely stock, 123K miles, had tons of new stuff on it, and was in damn good condition other than some paint fade. we should have paid at least double over what we paid for it.

My Cardomain
1991 GTA L98 SuperRam- 13.5@98.7 MPH
1987 GTA L98: Flame Red(R.I.P.)
Road Demon:1992 Subaru SVX- Worlds fastest street N/A auto SVX record holder
1997 Silverado 350: Daily ride

Last edited by budfreak1; 07-16-2011 at 12:44 PM.
budfreak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011   #11
cody1989GTA
89' 350 TPI mustang killer

GTA Year: 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs88gta View Post
You have the greatest wife in the world. not only did my ex wife want to sell me GTA she was jealous of it as well

Flame Red Metallic
350 TPI
Leather seats
4 speed auto
cody1989GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011   #12
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5

Talking Re: How did you get your GTA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody1989GTA View Post
You have the greatest wife in the world. not only did my ex wife want to sell me GTA she was jealous of it as well
Same here!! gawd
Old 07-21-2011   #13
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

Bought TheBigRedCar on September 23, 1988 from Premier Pontiac/Nissan in Little Rock, Arkansas. Mileage at delivery was 61.

It was the last new 1988 GTA in dealer inventory for sale in Arkansas according to the GM dealer locator network.

No photos of Day One, as I didn't take a camera with me and I got home after dark from buying the car.... but here's Day Two:

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011   #14
1988TAGTA

One faithful Morning late 2006 I was on the way to work in Norfolk Virginia and found her on the side of the road with a for sale sign in her window. Called the boss and played sick, then went back to look at the car. Bought her the next day!
The Inside was Toast. Freddy Krueger on Acid could not have done what I found. Seats, Carpet, headliner, all shredded. All the Plastic pieces were either sun faded or cracked or missing.
The Car Had NOS on it and I’m Pretty sure that is what Killed the Tranny, It would not shift out of 2nd Gear, It Also had 2 Badly Bent Rims, And A couple of missing Center Caps.
Despite ALL of that I was in love with the Car and was not about to get Rid of it. Since then I’ve spent every last dollar I had putting her back together. Between EBay and friends I’ve been able to put her back to what she was before somebody trashed her.
The Flames on the car were on it when I bought it, that’s what caught my eye as I drove past her. I have Since repainted her straight black.

Now this is the 6th Fbody Ive owned, but by far the most fun , well.. my 78 TA was fun

SOLD JUNE 23 2012
5.7 GM Crate
Ford Racing 24# Injectors

/ Custom Chip / Headers
/ TB Coolant Bypass/ TB Air Foil
/ Smog Delete / Cold Start Delete
/ EGR Delete / A.I.R. Delete / Sub Frame Connectors
/ Poly Bushings/ Wonder Bar
1988TAGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011   #15
YumikoGTA
Original and Current GTA owner

I got my GTA on the same exact month as Frankie got his red one. I am unsure if the spotlight page exists anymore but I did write about it when I submitted that some years ago. However if no one remembers or read it, I did not plan on getting it, it seem to have just happened. I was actually interest to get other cars at that time and then one night I saw it on my way home to my dorm room in the beginning of my first year at college in 1987. My parents did not wish for me to get it, but eventually they let me buy because I wanted it so much. Wow, for me to remember this now.....it does not seem like it was almost twenty four years ago exactly, this coming September will be the twenty four year anniversary. Sad but my life seems to pass very fast.....

Yumiko

Last edited by YumikoGTA; 07-24-2011 at 02:06 AM.
YumikoGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011   #16
DarkSlayer487

Was dead set on getting a 3rd gen Firebird as my first car. Found a really ugly 89 Formula 350 for sale on craigslist and snatched it up. ( had a few modifications on it too. Rollers, Headers, Valve covers, entire exhaust system, cold air intake )

2 days after I got it legal enough to drive, hard rod knock out of nowhere. Great. Then a rocker arm snapped. To hell with this. I knew basically nothing about 3rd gen Firebirds. I even called them all Trans Ams.

There was a local dealer with a white Trans Am sitting in the lot for some time ( I only knew it was a Trans Am because it was the same body style as I saw in Forza Motorsport 3's Trans Am GTA. )

Went and took a look at it and decided to buy it for $1000 + a trade in of my Formula. Only after I got it, did I realize that it was an actual GTA and why GTAs were special.

I'm definitely glad I stuck with my goal of a 3rd gen T/A instead of listening to everyone else telling me to get a new car or a beater 4 banger. I love the GTA and even with all the mods on the Formula, the GTA blows the doors off of that thing while still being stock.

The GTA has its fair share of problems don't get me wrong. Theres a reason it was so cheap. But it hasn't given me too many problems ( Although this is the 2nd time it has decided to up and not start on me. 1st time when I was out of town with it and the ICM went out on me. This time its either the pick up coil, the Dizzy or the ECM. ) Its getting fixed up slowly, but I absolutely refuse to let this car go. I'll keep it to my grave or until it gets utterly totaled.

In the end its all worth it. I love the car and I love the disgusted look on ricer kids faces when they hear the nice V8 rumble. Even better is the look at the next light after they figure out that just because they beat V6 Mustangs, doesn't mean they can run with something that has actual Torque behind it.

Last edited by DarkSlayer487; 12-07-2011 at 02:49 AM.
DarkSlayer487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011   #17
akanitro
Finally Found It. After a year of looking. The GTA is Mine.

I looked for about almost a year for the exact car and option package I wanted. I finally found the car I wanted and brokered the deal in Nebraska. I bought a one way plane ticket from Houston to Nebraska and flew up on a Sunday evening. After landing in an airport surrounded by a corn field at 11:00pm, I met the stranger I had been emailing and looked at the car in a Walmart parking lot. I signed the paperwork, paid the man and drove the car a thousand miles back here to Houston. Everyone thought I was crazy but life is all about chances and in the end, I finally got what I wanted to add to my collection of toys. Now it sits with my Z06 prototype test mule car and 1 off custom RC51 motorcycle.
akanitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011   #18
djmarch
1989 Gunmetal Grey, 350 TPI, 700R4, 3:27 BW

GTA Year: 1989

I picked mine up in Seattle, Washington at a small car lot while working for Boeing as a contract engineer in 1999. Bought it for my son with the intention of him paying me back on a monthly basis. (Teach responsibility). (His first car)..Well... work has taken me to the east coast south of Washington DC since then, and to make a story short I had to repo the GTA back from my son. Since then I've gone through it top to bottom for the last 5 years. New paint job coming this spring. I plan on driving it to the Grand Canyon in a few years, and then after that I will return it back to my son fully restored. Hope he appreciates it....(He will)
Old 12-09-2011   #19
prokilllsx

The story is right here..http://www.gtasourcepage.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=53648
prokilllsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011   #20
TexasRaider
Loyal Reagan Foot Soldier

You guys are making me want to cry.
Been wanting one badly for a long time, but life sometimes has great big, sharp, pointy teeth and interrupts your plans.

Over and over and over....

Love reading you guys' stories though, great thread!
One day I'll get her, and hopefully she'll either be a '91 dark metallic green t-top or a black '89 t-top with digital dash.

I really hate to keep clinging to the 'someday' dream, but being a Dolphins fan has made me rather good at it.

Meanwhile...
Someday....