Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA NON-TECH

GTA NON-TECH Got a question about non-mechanical items related to your GTA.... whatever they may be? Then post it HERE!

Old 05-04-2011   #1
SeanO23

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Hawk's Third Gen Is no good

those bums sent me a GTA Aerowing spoiler that doesnt fit right, now I am screwed because Its gonna be a pain in the ass and expensive as hell to send it back and get a new one, looks like i have to find a shop that will repair it.

In 3 weeks my best friend is getting married. I was planning on using my GTA to drive him and his Fiance away after the wedding with a ''just married'' sign on the back, now i don't think i can do that because it will look rediculous without its spoiler.

thanks a lot hawk's third gen, you idiots.
SeanO23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011   #2
djmarch
1989 Gunmetal Grey, 350 TPI, 700R4, 3:27 BW

GTA Year: 1989
Re: Hawk's Third Gen Is no good

Bought my rear spoiler from hawks last winter. The weather has finally been nice enough that I installed mine over the weekend and I have to agree with you, the fit is not that good at all. I planned on posting this issue, but you beat me to the punch. The arms on the spoiler I got seem to be about 1/2" too narrow from side to side in overall width, and they don't cover the metal brackets on the hatchback glass frame. The 6 pockets on the arms, (3 on each side), could have been filled with wood blocks, then encapsulated with fiberglass. Otherwise your screws are only going into less than a 1/8" of fiberglass. I plan on having the body shop look at dressing the spoiler up better when I get the body painted. Using this additional cost for repair rather than the cost of shipping it back to them. On top of that, what's to say you get a replacement that doesn't fit any better. I plan on posting this issue on thirdgen.org and I hope you do as well...... In short....I'm not happy with the fit. It could be better for the price we paid.
Old 05-04-2011   #3
GTAhot92
And a bag of chips!

Hawks is a freaking joke. Those damn red necks have no idea what they are REALLY doing. Apparently they have the market in these parts. I got a Ram Air hood from them off fleebay. The posting said new ready for paint. HA!!! Far from! It looked like a hood that didn't fit a customers car so they re-primed it and sold as new on ebay. I got it and the Raim Air decals were on it and pprimed over, then when sanding I found alot of sand, hairs and debres mixed in the primer. After sanding it smooth I came into the red paint they once tried painting it. Then obviously of course it does not fit at all. The concave of the overall arch of it is too flat. So the middle sits lower than the fenders and the fron corners pop up a bit. I had alot of inner structure to remove to even let it close. They sell nothing but crap.... another buddy has the LS1 hood from them and it fit even worse than my LT1 style. I even had another friend ship his 92 Convert to them for a T56 swap. They messed up his transmission by not balancing the system and omething else they forgot. The shake of the driveline tore up the gears. He had to have everything gone through locally. As well to top it off he paid for the 6-speed console light up piece that they didn't install and kept his 5-speed one that lights up.... HAWKS IS A JOKE! As well as rude too.
1981 Turbo Formula - Sold
1992 GTA 5th Anniversary #7
1989 Silverado
1994 Plymouth Laser R/T
1984 Maserati Biturbo
GTAhot92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011   #4
merc3065

I didn't have any problems with hawks, however, I have an LT1 style hood and it just like what you said. Decals are still present on it and on their item listing it even says that fitment/adjustment may be needed. All of the places that sell these hoods/spoilers state that.
Old 05-04-2011   #5
djmarch

The only good thing is my hatchback stays up now with all that weight from the old spoiler gone.
Old 05-04-2011   #6
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

I bought a spoiler from them and mine has terrible fitment as well. The arm on the passenger side has a gap between it and the decklid.

1988 GTA, 5.7L 350TPI

Visit My Cardomain! LINK
BigBadGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011   #7
87bucketgta
BACKDOOR STRANGER

I got my from hawks, its been several years ago, mine actually fit very nice, thats the bad thing about those fiberglass parts they can be hit and miss sometimes
87bucketgta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011   #8
SeanO23

How did you guys attach the tips of the spoiler? The little clips you get seem kinda hoaky, I guess they want you to screw them to the fiberglass with a wafer screw and then they wrap around the glasses metal frame?
Old 05-04-2011   #9
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

I tried to use those stupid ----in bolts but one ripped out recently and now the arm on the spoiler rattles when I go over bumps.. That spoiler really is a joke

1988 GTA, 5.7L 350TPI

Visit My Cardomain! LINK
BigBadGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #10
Josh

hmm that's not encouraging as I bought one of these spoilers last summer (400 spoiler +300 shipping =$700) and am taking my car to get completely repainted etc in a few weeks so hopefully it fits well. Does anyone have any suggestions for the clips?
Old 05-05-2011   #11
YumikoGTA
Original and Current GTA owner

I am surprised a little bit because over the few years now I have read a few members on this forum were happy that they got this fiberglass aerospoiler. They did mention that they had to do some work to make it fit properly, but once they made it fit well, they then had it painted and put on their GTA. They seemed very happy about the results. So I am surprised that this product is not well liked by some now on this forum. Maybe the newest ones are being made with a lot of defects or specification variance now.

Yumiko
Old 05-05-2011   #12
djmarch

Do away with the little "L" clips and go and get you 6, (3 for each side) #10X3/4 stainless steel round head sheet metal screws. The heads slide nicely under the key holed slots of the clips mounted to the glass frame. The manufacturer of the spoiler should have used a wood filler for each mounting point to give you material to screw into...
Old 05-05-2011   #13
GTAhot92
And a bag of chips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc3065 View Post
All of the places that sell these hoods/spoilers state that.
That's thier implied right to sell crap....Usually they say that to have a profession install to match body gaps. But christ sakes these hoods fit worse than Rosie O'donnell in small underware! You'd think they would adjust the molds a bit to help, especially when we pay $700+ for them. But, everyone that has posted here about them has only done bad by feeding the monster. The thing we can do know is just as is, leave bad comments and experiences. Hopefully we can save someone else a few bucks.

BTW, the LT1 hoods are mother truckin sexy! Especially on the 91-92 models.
1989 Silverado
1994 Plymouth Laser R/T
1984 Maserati Biturbo
Old 05-05-2011   #14
Kman71

GTA Engine: 3.8L V6 Turbo

Just put one on a couple weeks ago. We don't have many choices for replacing the spoiler, who would want an original, fiberglass is the only way to go, but HTG is the only vendor that sells them from my research. We are actually pretty lucky to have this vendor, some of the items are pricey but they are about the only one that carries the hard to find items for our cars. The first place to look is rockauto.com, best prices and service if they still have they still carry the parts for our cars.

The spoiler looks great now, and a third of the weight of the original, so it is great for the hatch. But the craftmanship needs some work, some people have had no problem with them, but that is rare, most need some work to fit right. Mine fit good on the left and back, but had a 1/4" gap on the right side. Body shop had to work it and caulk it and it looks great now. Plus the original had three groved clips on the wings to slide in and connect to the hatch, very secure. These only have one clip, if you got them with the spoiler, I have heard the spoiler have been shipped with and without the clips. The clips are on each tip of the wing, so make sure you have a good body shop that knows how to secure it to the hatch.
Here are some finished pictures of the new spoiler.

TTA's # 1040 & 613

Kman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #15
GTAhot92
And a bag of chips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kman71 View Post
But the craftmanship needs some work
THIS!!!! You'd think because they are the only ones to have a part they would pride themselves to make it better for us! Especially the prices they demand. Have these guys never tried fitting one themselves? Do they have a account here and see what the public demands?
1989 Silverado
1994 Plymouth Laser R/T
1984 Maserati Biturbo
Old 05-05-2011   #16
Steveh4263
1987 Pontiac Trans AM GTA

GTA Year: 1987

They probably have a account on thirdgen.org.
Old 05-05-2011   #17
89-5.7GTA
Tony

Mine seemed to take a bit of gentle massaging to get positioned just right. But, it did seem a tad narrow during test fitting. I used the sheetmetal screws with the original clips on the hatch instead of the clips provided. It took a good bit of trial and error to get everything just right. I am not crazy about the potential strength of the material where the screws are placed in the pockets and went slowly when drilling the holes, making sure the screws were snug. Then I had the thing painted and hope the paint helps "lock" the screws in place. I did not use the provided gaskets on the deck, instead I used a bead of RTV to get a tighter gap.

Here are some photos, I've posted these before.

As you can see in this picture the tip on the driver's side exposes the window frame a bit, but I did not want to tweak it anymore for fear of damaging it. The right side is the same, but is not as clear due to the lighting.

Last edited by 89-5.7GTA; 05-05-2011 at 09:14 PM.
89-5.7GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #18
SeanO23

ya you have the same problem with the gap on the passenger side. i dont know how kman71 got it to look so nice.
Old 05-05-2011   #19
SeanO23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kman71 View Post
Just put one on a couple weeks ago. We don't have many choices for replacing the spoiler, who would want an original, fiberglass is the only way to go, but HTG is the only vendor that sells them from my research. We are actually pretty lucky to have this vendor, some of the items are pricey but they are about the only one that carries the hard to find items for our cars. The first place to look is rockauto.com, best prices and service if they still have they still carry the parts for our cars.

The spoiler looks great now, and a third of the weight of the original, so it is great for the hatch. But the craftmanship needs some work, some people have had no problem with them, but that is rare, most need some work to fit right. Mine fit good on the left and back, but had a 1/4" gap on the right side. Body shop had to work it and caulk it and it looks great now. Plus the original had three groved clips on the wings to slide in and connect to the hatch, very secure. These only have one clip, if you got them with the spoiler, I have heard the spoiler have been shipped with and without the clips. The clips are on each tip of the wing, so make sure you have a good body shop that knows how to secure it to the hatch.
Here are some finished pictures of the new spoiler.

how did you get the gap to go away?, did your body shop put caulking on the edge to hide the gap? the white helps a lot to make it look good. nice TTa's
Old 05-06-2011   #20
YumikoGTA
Original and Current GTA owner

I think they all look very nice in these photographs, I may not even be able to tell the difference just by looking at them here. It is interesting that the aerospoiler is a topic right now. Because the last time I had my GTA out and driving, I was at a stop light and some guy on a motorcycle behind me came up to the drivers side of my car and was looking at the aerospoiler for about a minute. I wonder if he was trying to see if it was the factory one or the fiberglass one that you guys are talking about here.

Also over the few years, if I ever have my GTA out on a drive, some people have asked me where I got my aerospoiler because they say that they have a Firebird but it only has the flat style spoiler and that they want to put on a spoiler just like the one that I have on my GTA. I tell them about the clip holders that are built into the rear window frame, you know the three on each side, because if you do not have them, how could you put on one of these aerospoilers right?

Yumiko