Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 04-11-2011   #1
1987 GTA

Steering Wheel

I just bought a replacement wheel for my car it looks like its just one nut on it to remove, ive been told its very hard to get wheel off and would have to use a non impact hammer to get it off, any suggestions or is this the way?
1987 GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011   #2
NastyGTA
F-bodies Own Me

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: Custom
Re: Steering Wheel

you need to use a steering wheel duckhead puller. you take off the little clip or washer if you have one. remove the retainer nut. then put the bolts from the puller into the nut holes on the side. then as you turn the middle nut on the puller it pushes against the shaft/column and uses that torque to pull the wheel off. get your adapter on and use it to thread down the adapter with the old bolt, throw the old bolt away and then torque down with a new bolt. should be about 33-35 ft lbs of torque. then you just bolt your new wheel onto the adapter and you are finished. its really easy.

just remember...i cant stress this enough. make sure your wheel and wheels are perfectly straight. if the wheel isnt centered and the wheels are straight a simple alignment can get the wheel centered with the front wheels (toe adjustment). i would do this first before messing with the steering wheel.

always use a new bolt after the initial pressing down of the steering adapter/wheel on the column. when doing that it exerts more pressure and torque than necessary...this can stretch the threads on the old bolt and create a dangerous condition. less than 2 bucks for a new bolt is great comfort knowing your wheel wont be wobbly in an emergency situation.

Last edited by NastyGTA; 04-12-2011 at 12:17 AM.
NastyGTA is offline   Reply With Quote