Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 03-17-2011   #1
1987 GTA

?????????????

Alright this thing still wont do anything for me i have power to all except the headlight motors, dash and car wont begin to turn over. i have voltage at starter it is grounded i have power to alternator. ive checked all fuses, could it be the ignition also there are two sliver fuses i cant tell if theyre blown. any other ideas, thanks
1987 GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011   #2
george88gta

Re: ?????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987 GTA View Post
Alright this thing still wont do anything for me i have power to all except the headlight motors, dash and car wont begin to turn over. i have voltage at starter it is grounded i have power to alternator. ive checked all fuses, could it be the ignition also there are two sliver fuses i cant tell if theyre blown. any other ideas, thanks
When you say you have voltage at the starter, are you referring to the big wire from the battery? Remember, you have to activate the solenoid in order to get that voltage to the brushes/winding inside the starter. If you dont hear a "click" you probably arent activating the solenoid. Check to make sure all of the wires are tight on the solenoid, especially the purple wire which is a slip on type of connector.
george88gta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011   #3
GTAhot92
And a bag of chips!

Connect a wire from the hot lead of the battery (Thick wire) to the nut on the back of the alternator. Tell us what happens. And not the ground!!!! The one where the wire for the harness to the car.
1981 Turbo Formula - Sold
1992 GTA 5th Anniversary #7
1989 Silverado
1994 Plymouth Laser R/T
1984 Maserati Biturbo
GTAhot92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011   #4
george88gta

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAhot92 View Post
Connect a wire from the hot lead of the battery (Thick wire) to the nut on the back of the alternator. Tell us what happens. And not the ground!!!! The one where the wire for the harness to the car.
Hopefully nothing. The lug on the back of the alternator should be at 12 volts. I am more interested as to why he doesnt hear the solenoid click. Anybody have a link to wiring diagrams he could review?
Old 03-18-2011   #5
1987 GTA

I will try tomorrow, dont i have to turn the key to get the click on the sloenoid? i dont get anything at all when i turn key, not even my dash or headlight motors, thanks for your help.
Old 03-18-2011   #6
george88gta

Quote:
I will try tomorrow, dont i have to turn the key to get the click on the sloenoid? i dont get anything at all when i turn key, not even my dash or headlight motors, thanks for your help.
Its a two step process. When you turn the key to ON or RUN, you should see some activity on the dash, radio should work, etc. When you turn the key to START you should hear the solenoid click. On my 88, the lights (headlights, dash lights, etc.)work with out the key being installed.
Old 03-18-2011   #7
1987 GTA

When I turn my key I get absolutely nothing, no dash at all. thats on run or acc, i cant think of what it could be. the car was fine till i hit the bump. i checked my relays i have voltage to only 2 of them, not sure if all should have volts at all times, someone told me to check relay in the kick plate, guess its a starter relay, i have no power to that, could it maybe be the ignition? it seems all the acc stuff is whats not working.
Old 03-18-2011   #8
george88gta

Quote:
When I turn my key I get absolutely nothing, no dash at all. thats on run or acc, i cant think of what it could be. the car was fine till i hit the bump. i checked my relays i have voltage to only 2 of them, not sure if all should have volts at all times, someone told me to check relay in the kick plate, guess its a starter relay, i have no power to that, could it maybe be the ignition? it seems all the acc stuff is whats not working.
First place to start is to obtain a wiring diagram, without a diagram, you cant follow the circuits. Back to basics. Start with the headlights. With out a key, you should be able to get the headlight motors to operate. If they dont work, you are not getting power to the headlight switch or missing a ground. Here is where you will need a diagram. Sounds like you are having a basic lack of 12 volts getting to the car from the battery. Lots of things in between. The bulk head connector ( lower right fender well), fusible links and loose/missing grounds. Do a search and see if you can find a diagram. I know thirdgen.org has Camaro wiring diagrams, they may help.
Old 03-18-2011   #9
1987 GTA

thanks for all your help, its just strange that some things are getting power and some arent, i can turn headlights on and they work but the motors dont, all my interior lights work, just not the dash
Old 03-18-2011   #10
TA PARTS PLACE

GTA Year: 1989
GTA Engine: 3.8L V6 Turbo

Sounds like the vats ignition, two thin thin wires. They usually always brake and the resulting condition is what you're experiencing. Sorry I just saw your user ID. I guess you have a 87 non vat ignition car...
Old 03-19-2011   #11
eseibel67

Vats problem would be unrelated to headlight motors and dash lights anyhow.

My guess would be a burnt fuse link or a bad ground since the problem sarted after hitting a bump.

I will try to get a diagram for you.
eseibel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011   #12
eseibel67

Diagram is 148k .PDF fle, cannot upload.

I can E mail it to you if you give me your address.

eseibel67@hotmail.com
eseibel67 is offline   Reply With Quote