Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA TECH

GTA TECH Want to discuss technical topics about your GTA.... engine tuning, mechanical upgrades, problem areas, etc.? Then post it HERE!

Old 03-08-2011   #1
1987 GTA

Engine knocking

I have a knocking/ wrapping noise coming from engine. it doesent always do it, but today i noticed it it almost sounds like a fast wrapping noise, not to loud but enough to hear it. hope its not the engine going. any ideas?
1987 GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011   #2
FearThisGTA
"The only thing to fear is.............fear itself"

GTA Year: 1991
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic
Re: Engine knocking

Is it it coming from the top or bottom of the motor? If its in the top, it could be a push rod or broken spring. If its in the bottom end, well, all I can say is welcome to my world. Btw, whats your oil pressure look like?

Cliff Jones
1991 GTA Trans Am
w/305,231 miles
on the original motor!!!!
Time of Death on motor, 4:07pm on 05/29/2010.
Hp:211.2@4200rpms/Tq.328.5@2700rpms
Best et: 13.959@97.05mph
Best mph: 98.3
Best 60' : 1.875 on BFG Comp TA's w/ 32 lbs of air in them
FearThisGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011   #3
george88gta

To add to Cliffs response, you need to locate the knock. You can try a long shank screwdriver and place the metal end on various parts of the engine. Put your ear on the handle. It acts like a stethescope. You may be able to locate the general area of the noise. You will hear normal sounds like the injectors ticking and the valve train noise. They will be a steady and even noise. What you are listening for is an intermittant/erratic heavy knocking sound. Be sure to check the water pump , alternator, a/c compressor and the air pump and be careful to avoid the pulleys and belt. You can also change the oil. Put it in a clean container as you drain it and look for metallic particles ( oil may look like metallic paint with streaks of ground up metal). Definetely not a good sign, I know what that looks like. While the drain plug is out, if you have one of those flexible magnetic tools ( like a magnetic cherry picker) you can put it thru the drain hole and move it around inside the pan. If it comes out with metal particles, you probably have internal issues. Note, the bearings are not magnetic so they will not stick to the magnet. Good luck and lets us know what you find. Not sure if car is auto or stick, but dont overlook a cracked flexplate/flywheel or loose converter bolts. If you cant identify the noise, then maybe a trip to a reputable mechanic is in order. Post up your findings and lets hope it is something simple.
george88gta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011   #4
merc3065

Sounds to me like it's bearings on the rotating assembly.
Could be wrist pins, could be crank bearings.

I had a knock in my motor that I could feel through the accelerator/brake pedal when I shut the car off.

Recommendation is to take it to a mechanic and have him listen to it with a mechanics stethescope.
Old 03-09-2011   #5
88GTAEd
And my money on my mind...

GTA Year: 1987
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

my friend had a knock comin from the cam (rounding off a lobe) and that in-turn sent shavings thru the engine and well... screwed the pooch so to say. it was alot higher in the engine and could really feel it by putting your hand on the intake plenum. underneath it wasnt as prominent.

i seized up my engine 2 weeks ago driving my gta from my freinds house to my other friends place 30 min away. doin about a buck twenty on the autobahn and it kicked down a gear, went to 5k and im thinkin it lost a bearing. i couldnt pull over so i just had to ride it out. kept losin power and got real hot. thing is it still had 30 psi of pressure on the gauge. i opened the hood and the pcv was blown out of the valve cover, air injection parts all over the place, but i didnt send anything flyin thru the block.. sucks. but i was movin it to do a LT1/T56 swap that well under way now.
Old 03-09-2011   #6
1987 GTA

im not sure what the oil pressure is the indicator on my car does not work, the battery level and temp gauge work but not the oil pressure, digital dash
1987 GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011   #7
GTAhot92
And a bag of chips!

Or possibly just no oil pressure?!? If it's only once in awhile you may have a clappsed lifter.
1981 Turbo Formula - Sold
1992 GTA 5th Anniversary #7
1989 Silverado
1994 Plymouth Laser R/T
1984 Maserati Biturbo
GTAhot92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011   #8
merc3065

it could also be off the scale.

Mechanical gauge for oil pressure is a good idea.
Stethescope, check oil for shavings...