Pontiac GTA Enhancement information and discussions with Technical DIY and performance tuning information for the hardcore Pontiac GTA Owners and Enthusiasts.
Forum | Register Now | Members | Search | How Do I... | Calendar

Go Back   The GTA Source Page Message Forums > GTA SPECIFIC > GTA NON-TECH

GTA NON-TECH Got a question about non-mechanical items related to your GTA.... whatever they may be? Then post it HERE!

Old 01-04-2011   #1
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5

Wheels question

I am thinking of doing one of the following. Please give me your thoughts. I have perfect gold cross laces from my GTA with about 20K miles on them.

1. Powdercoat them black like the optional TA wheels of the era.
2. Sell them to one of you and use the proceeds to buy aftermarket black. How much could I get for them? Keep in mind they are flawless.

Yes, I really hate the Gold wheels of GTAs They look like BMW wheels of the era. I guess that was the whole idea since the GTA was to have european flair... But I hate them. In black they dont look so bad
Old 01-04-2011   #2
90 L98 TransAm

Re: Wheels question

I'd go with option #3.

Black cross lace with silver outer rim. I think they look great on a black car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_0204.JPG (689.7 KB, 29 views)
90 L98 TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011   #3
BigBadGTA
Vegas Cruiser

GTA Year: 1988
GTA Engine: 350 TPI Automatic

Damn is that car sexy.. I always wanted to see my car with the cross lace painted black to see how it looks.

1988 GTA, 5.7L 350TPI

Visit My Cardomain! LINK
BigBadGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011   #4
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90 L98 TransAm View Post
I'd go with option #3.

Black cross lace with silver outer rim. I think they look great on a black car.
How is that option 3? Then I should powder coat them?
Old 01-04-2011   #5
YumikoGTA
Original and Current GTA owner

I would say to do this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badGTA View Post
Sell them and use the proceeds to buy aftermarket black.
Because why ruin a good original set of what should really be on these cars? It is already hard enough to find the original gold rims for the GTA.

Yumiko
Old 01-04-2011   #6
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by YumikoGTA View Post
I would say to do this:

Because why ruin a good original set of what should really be on these cars? It is already hard enough to find the original gold rims for the GTA.

Yumiko
Yah. sigh.. the only issue is the gold interior.
Attached is what my car would look like with them. I almost bought this car but the guy returned my emails way after I bought my current one. This is a 89 GTA 350
Nice shot.JPG

Rear end.JPG
Old 01-04-2011   #7
YumikoGTA

Quote:
Yah. sigh.. the only issue is the gold interior.
Attached is what my car would look like with them. I almost bought this car but the guy returned my emails way after I bought my current one. This is a 89 GTA 350
Attachment 11997

Attachment 11998
I still think that the gold rims are better looking for these cars.

Yumiko
Old 01-04-2011   #8
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5

Quote:
I still think that the gold rims are better looking for these cars.

Yumiko
And I don't of course
Old 01-04-2011   #9
YumikoGTA

I remember in 1992 I was thinking to change the rims on my GTA to something custom and after market. I bought just one rim that I thought would look good and I had put it on my GTA and drove around with just that one on there to see how I would like it. After about two months, I just did not like it like I did the other factory gold ones. And it was funny but during that time that I had that one rim on my GTA, so many guys would ask me why I had one different from the others. After I told them what I was doing, every single one of them asked me if I would sell them the factory gold ones when I changed all of them. I decided that I liked the gold ones better so I took off the after market one and put back on the original gold GTA rim but used the after market one as a full size spare tire in case I needed it. I never did so I sold it for $150.00 about ten years ago. Now I am glad that I never got rid of the original gold rims because those are hard to find now and I work very hard to keep my GTA with all of its original parts. I think that the gold 1987 GTA rims are the most difficult to find now because they are different from the other years of GTAs. My GTA has a different gold color than most. My GTA has the champaign color rims on it from the factory.

Yumiko

Last edited by YumikoGTA; 01-04-2011 at 11:25 PM.
YumikoGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011   #10
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5

Quote:
I remember in 1992 I was thinking to change the rims on my GTA to something custom and after market. I bought just one rim that I thought would look good and I had put it on my GTA and drove around with just that one on there to see how I would like it. After about two months, I just did not like it like I did the other factory gold ones. And it was funny but during that time that I had that one rim on my GTA, so many guys would ask me why I had one different from the others. After I told them what I was doing, every single one of them asked me if I would sell them the factory gold ones when I changed all of them. I decided that I liked the gold ones better so I took off the after market one and put back on the original gold GTA rim but used the after market one as a full size spare tire in case I needed it. I never did so I sold it for $150.00 about ten years ago. Now I am glad that I never got rid of the original gold rims because those are hard to find now and I work very hard to keep my GTA with all of its original parts. I think that the gold 1987 GTA rims are the most difficult to find now because they are different from the other years of GTAs. My GTA has a different gold color than most. My GTA has the champaign color rims on it from the factory.

Yumiko
Interesting. I wonder how much they are worth?
Old 01-04-2011   #11
YumikoGTA

I am not so sure how much they are worth. I do know that the front ones seem to be sold for higher prices than the rear ones though.

I have my GTAs original ones in boxes which are the champaign colored ones and two front and two rear set. On my GTA I have four front 1987 gold GTA rims on it.

Yumiko

Last edited by YumikoGTA; 01-04-2011 at 11:46 PM.
YumikoGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011   #12
Steveh4263
1987 Pontiac Trans AM GTA

GTA Year: 1987

Quote:
I would say to do this:

Yumiko
I agree with you on this. The Gold WS6 Center Caps are very hard to find and if you do they are expensive and they are just the emblems without the center caps. Luckly I have a 87 and mine are the gold bird center caps.
Old 01-05-2011   #13
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveh4263 View Post
I agree with you on this. The Gold WS6 Center Caps are very hard to find and if you do they are expensive and they are just the emblems without the center caps. Luckly I have a 87 and mine are the gold bird center caps.
I have the WS6 caps currently on my car with formula rims
Old 01-05-2011   #14
merc3065

Price is anywhere from 300-1000 for a set of 4 rims. I sold my spare set for about 375 couple years back.

And I have to say, I dislike the darker gold of the 87s, but i think im biased towards 88s heh

I love the black crosslace. All black car would look super cool with those rims.

And to do a refinish/repaint with clearcoat is only about 240 in my neck of the woods which is pretty good.
Old 01-06-2011   #15
southgta
F-Body Member

I have my original gold 87 rims and a black set I use for auto-cross and track days. I like the black better on my car but I just keep the golds on if we go to a cruse in or car show daily driver ... Oh and my car is white. I should try and find a pic and show you.
southgta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011   #16
welshGTA

i like the black wheels. might buy another set and do that
welshGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011   #17
FrankieRider2
Site Administrator

GTA Year: 1988

Quote:
Yes, I really hate the Gold wheels of GTAs
He did NOT just say that!?! Hang on while I look for my bifocals so I can see the BAN button clearly.... don't wanna exile the wrong person here.

Option #2 would be the best bet in my book.... or buy used and refinish. But I would not ruin the original wheels just to have black ones.... IMHO only.

As somewhat of a purist, I suppose.... not to mention the original purchaser of a new GTA that had Ronal R9s on it: the cars just don't look right without the gold PW7 wheels on there. The GTA option was in part about a "look", and to me, the wheels tied it all together.

But it's your car, so it's really your choice.

FrankieRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011   #18
1badGTA
BAD GTA 88 5.0 TPI/T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieRider2 View Post
He did NOT just say that!?! Hang on while I look for my bifocals so I can see the BAN button clearly.... don't wanna exile the wrong person here.

Option #2 would be the best bet in my book.... or buy used and refinish. But I would not ruin the original wheels just to have black ones.... IMHO only.

As somewhat of a purist, I suppose.... not to mention the original purchaser of a new GTA that had Ronal R9s on it: the cars just don't look right without the gold PW7 wheels on there. The GTA option was in part about a "look", and to me, the wheels tied it all together.

But it's your car, so it's really your choice.
You see I am not all about GTAs. I am about F bodies. I also owned a camaro (83) when I was 16 and a TA(86) when I was 18. I had a nice black one, with the tape around the aero "skirts taken off. I thought the tape looked stupid on them since it was black and black with this little red tape breaking up the look. so mine was monochrome before the GTAs came out. I was the only one on the road like that till GTAs came in 87. I had ordered the car from the factory in 85 when the aero wing was an option. I was surprised they made it standard in 86 but since my car was black it looked right since the wings only came in a black matte finish.. then came the GTAs with the same look my car had but with BMW wheels on it. I wasnt in love with them.
Old 01-07-2011   #19
southgta
F-Body Member

I didn't "ruin" a set I took a factory gray set and painted them gloss black, remember Frankie I am the guy who bought NEW gold wheels with a less than desirable finish from OER, If you need wheels I saw an ad locally at a salvage yard that was parting out a 88 GTA with a set of wheels included I they look better than formula wheels.
southgta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011   #20
YumikoGTA

I just prefer to keep my GTA as it was when it was new. Very few things about my GTA are not like they were when it was new, but most of it is.

Yumiko